Author Topic: question about ticks  (Read 1933 times)

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
Re: question about ticks
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 13:17:39 PM »
I was just going to say the tip about vaseline.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 07:05:45 AM »
Frontline didn't do much good for Tess either.  We bought a little tick lassoo from the internet for under £5.00 - wasn't sure at first, but it worked a treat - it's like a pen, with a plastic noose at the end.  You slip it over the tick and rest it down next to the skin.  Then you tighten the lassoo and the tick comes off, mouth parts intact.  I think it was made by a company called Miso, but can't be sure.  It was a good investment for us, because every time we went away with Tess, she picked up at least one or two ticks.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 23:43:15 PM »
smear the tick with a blob of vaseline, it wont be able to breathe and will die. tweezers are risky, you can pull the body off but leave the head behind, which can then get infected :(

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 19:25:08 PM »
Tweezers work but move in an anti clockwise direction, we have a wonderful tick remover we got from the vet as being rural it is something we live with

We use Program injectins on the cats which when the tick attaches poisons it and they go grey and drop off, we do however check the wanderers and can get the little ones with the tick remover
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 17:40:01 PM »
i have lost faith in frontline tbh.  i cant get to it with tweezers easily but i'm gonna give it a try anyway

nope, it's no good, cant get it with the tweezers.  my main concern now is that my vet is closed now and if it drops off by itself it's gonna fall straight into his ear  :scared:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 17:56:35 PM by Bonkers Mad!!! »
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 17:36:05 PM »
My vet no longer recommends Frontline as in some parts of the country it no longer works   I now use Stronghold
which is on prescription only   I suggest you use a pair of teezers on the tick   I would not use more frontline so soon

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
question about ticks
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 17:12:54 PM »
just discovered a tick in one of my cats ears. it's too awkwardly positioned for easy removal so will applying frontline directly onto it kill it?  bit annoyed as i only treated them all last monday 
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Link to CatChat