Author Topic: Suncream?  (Read 2254 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Re: Suncream?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 16:35:35 PM »
Bee I am sure it will be ok if they are in between those hours when the sun is at its strongest :hug:

Yes I did use the hyperall one that can be used on sensitive skins/ children on her ears . However, Parki's ears were so scabbed/raw at times it must have been horrid for her. Since her ears have come off she has a new lease of life ;D

All the best with your furries :hug:

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
  • A meow massages the heart
  • Slave to: Motown, Drum & our beautiful baby Bass RIP
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 11:38:02 AM »
Thanks TM! Luck will be needed!

Alison - you beat me to my PM!  :) Thanks for responding. I think I will attempt to apply some Kids Factor 50, our vet tols us before it would be fine and that if they did lick it off as long as a little had managed to sink in it would be better than nothing. Alsion - did you mean you used to put hyper allergenic cream on for protection against the sun?
Currently they are only allowed out first thing until around 10.30 till 11.00 and again at 16.00ish until whenever we turn in for the night. The pen is actually very shady most of the day which is great and so far they seem fine... but of course we want to be as careful as we can possible be with our babies.

Thanks all

Bee
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 21:17:34 PM »
Hi, Parki is my girl and as Rosella said had to have her ears removed last year as they were cancerous. Parki was left outside for years by the prev owners. I used to put baby hyper allergenic cream on them but by this time it was pointless.

As her ear flaps are totally gone I do not have to cream them. I worry about her nose but she just licks the cream off. Her nose is fine at the moment and as she is 12 I am hoping it will remain so.

I cant recommend ear protection highly enough :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 17:09:47 PM »
I've used a factor 50 kids one before, possibly Boots or Tesco's own? The problem was that Riley just won't tolerate it being put on his nose so I had to give up  :tired: Good luck with nose and ears... x2!

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »
Thanks Rosella, very helpful!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 11:55:10 AM »
Hi Bee

You might want to PM Alison (Alisonandarchie) and ask what she uses for Parki's ears.  Parki had to have her ears removed and I'm sure Alison uses protection for her to prevent further damage.

I use Petscreen SPF23 Sun Lotion on Boris that I got from medicanimal.com but am not happy that is high enough protection.  My vet had told me in the past that sun block for babies is fine but I couldn't find any in the UK when I googled.  I assume coz the advice is to keep babies out of the sun.  I went out and bought some sp50 for kids (Solait) but, although "water resistant", it isn't lick resistant like the SPF23 and I want to run it past the vet before using it. 

I think I would try and keep your gorgeous girls out of the sun between 11am and 3pm in any event.

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 11:41:44 AM »
Hmmm, the Pets at Home one seems very low factor compared to human sunscreen.. anyone else any experience of this?

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:27:40 AM »
Thanks Dawn, clearly I mean CAT specific not car specific  :doh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 11:22:49 AM »
pets at home used to sell one, I know a friend used it

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
Suncream?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »
Does anyone know what suncream I should use on the girls noses and ears for the summer? Do I need car specific suncream or are we able to use kids high factor stuff?

Thanks!

Link to CatChat