Author Topic: Sunny Harbour Update  (Read 4824 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Sunny Harbour Update
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »
I've been following your blog so knew some of the great work you've been doing - but what a great newsletter! I hope you don't mind but I've shared it on my Facebook and twitter. As I'm local to you so are most of my friends and followers so hopefully some of them will have a wee read and it raises awareness.

Heartbreaking to know how many cats are missing out on your wonderful care :-(

Thank you
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Sunny Harbour Update
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 09:00:02 AM »
I really don't know what is going to happen Gill but looking at the sheer scale of the problem here at the moment I suspect that in 5 years time its going to fee like we have gone backwards 20 years!  The situation is waaaay out of control and we are literally struggling to keep up.

Our cat turnaround time isn't too bad just now but we have so many with specific needs they have been with us a while which just clogs up space for any new arrivals but having said that we also know that if we hadn't taken them that they would be in even worse states on the streets by now, or dead.

We are truly pulling our hair out.  The only way we can see to try and cope is to expand which is why we have set up a seperate fund to help raise the pennies needed but its going to be a long, hard slog to get there and we still need to make sure we have enough coming in to keep this lot fed and watered.

In the meantime, I really haven't got a clue.  We desperately need people to become more responsible for the pets they 'chose' to have as they feel they can just throw them away on stick them on Gumtree adn problems are resolved, but far from it.  <sigh>

All I know is we are completely and utterly exhausted and aren't even making a minor dent in the situation at the moment though it isn't being helped by the sheer volume of irresponsible and bad advice being handed out by other organisations of late either.

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 01:16:05 AM »
Yes something needs to be done but what.........sigh

:hug: :hug:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 21:54:46 PM »
thanks guys.

I should have kept my mouth shut as it has just continued relentlessly over the last few weeks. Its just a never ending circle and with us now another cat rescue down in the area its only getting worse.  We turn away roughly 20 - 40 a week.  Its crazy.... somethign needs to change, soooooooooon!  :(

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 21:04:58 PM »
Wow, you are to be applauded :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 17:26:54 PM »
My word you have been busy  :hug: Really don't know how you manage it with a little one aswell!  :shy:  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 07:49:49 AM »

What a fantastic read Sarah.  I'm astonished at the amount of work you've been able to take on in terms of the cats and kittens rescued and in your care.  Especially Bruno, and of course the chimney kittens.  I take my hat off to you, and all of those like you.  What an amazing rescue you run.   :hug: :hug:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
Sunny Harbour Update
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 22:15:39 PM »
Hi Folks,

Sorry we have been quiet.  Last time I went to come online to update you all we got hit with a flu outbreak and a whole raft of issues.

Alas, not to be beaten into submission... we are fighting back buts its been a REALLY long few months.  Already this year we have rehomed just over 50 cats and taken in a huge number with ghastly wounds, condition or emaciated and run down.

I have literally just put the finishing touches to our newsletter and wanted you all to be some of the first to read our news and find out what has been happening at Sunny Harbour over the last couple of months... grab a cuppa its HUGE. hope you enjoy and we are genuinely doing our best to get back on here as much as possible folks.

If anyone has any contacts in the cloning industry who would be happy to clone Sarah... then let me know!  ;)

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk/News/July2012.pdf

Link to CatChat