Author Topic: What Is the Best Way to Treat Semi-ferals for Fleas?  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: What Is the Best Way to Treat Semi-ferals for Fleas?
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 18:15:49 PM »
As far as the fleas are concerned, I think they're a thing of the past. A black and white stray who looks very much like Fred first brought the infestation into my house when he was coming in to pinch cat food. He seems to have an owner because his collar has been changed several times.

I bought Da Bird from the Purrs shop in an effort to bond more with the cats. At first they weren't sure what to do with it, seemed a bit scared of it when the feathers came towards them. They're starting to get the hang of the idea. Last night, Cydric and I played for about twenty minutes, even though he kept rolling onto his back and lazily swiping at da bird as it flew by. Then he was up and chasing it again. I gave him treats (Dreamies) when he'd been particularly good at catching da bird....I have the feeling I'm training a hunter!

Play was how I bonded with Polly, a very nervous cat at first who, within 6 months, was a lap-rug. She was lovely. She had the example of Samantha, a confident, feisty cat who came to me for affection from the moment I brought her home from the rescue. Unfortunately, the group I have now don't have an example cat they can watch enjoying being fussed so it's taking much longer for them to tame, if they ever will.

Oh well, at least the fleas have been dealt with for now. Thanks for all the advice.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
Glad you've got on top of it, HK.

I use Capstar crushed into wet food to kill the fleas on the cat then treat the environment like you've done with Indorex. Although I only have one domesticated feral, I have also treated a couple of outdoor strays this way as I feel they would quickly re-infest my garden beds and hides if I didn't.

I have been told that the flea problem is very bad everywhere this year, and wonder if vets' reliance nationally on Frontline has contributed to the apparent immunity. I've switched topicals and now use either Effipro or Advantage, whichever is cheapest on-line, and they both work very well indeed for the cats I can catch.

You can get Capstar on-line from VetUK or Animed Direct, or in store at Pets at Home (if there isn't one near you they do mail order as well).

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »
give them time. A tamed feral is a force to behold (though you will still have to chase them round the house at flea time!).

With mine, I used to temp them with their favourite food (ham in fat pigs case) and when settled to watch TV would do some hand feeding and encourage them to walk all over me. Ging is still nervous when I'm up and around - but sit down or go to bed - he's over me like a rash, bless him!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 03:34:59 AM »
As Rebekah wasn't able to help me round up the cats, I've more or less controlled the outbreak by just using Indorex household spray. The cats are very unco-operative, totally different to average domestics; apart from Fred and Victoria, they hate being touched. They like me, but still don't feel safe being handled at all.

For the first few weeks after spraying the house, I kept seeing newly-hatched fleas. According to the Indorex website, this is normal, they soon die, but the process goes on for about two months. I did spray twice, and the two months is almost over and I rarely see a flea now, if I do, it's usually dead.

It seems that controlling the environmental problem has stopped the life-cycle. The cats don't seem to be scratching, though I rarely see them as they spend most of their time outside, coming in for food. Fred is usually in the house and the others reluctantly come in when they're called for food.

Quite honestly, I miss having a cuddly cat but can't afford more.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 06:10:06 AM »
There are things called Capstar tablets if memory serves me right and they kill them all dead in 24 hours - I have used these on adult ferals wrapped in Webbox sticks they do work and then Indorex spray or similar
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 01:41:44 AM »
Sam, if I did that the cats would never trust me. I'd become the horrid woman with the spray.  :evillaugh:

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 16:48:47 PM »
frontline spray?
we use the spray here on all the cats as its cost effective.
You are meant to spray the whole cat but we find it is effective to spray along the back. you can squirt along the back of a hiding cat and even spray a cat running away and if you are hiding yourself they have no-one to blame.  :evillaugh:
its a little easier than getting a spot-on on a cat you can't get close to.
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 16:20:30 PM »
I manage to use spot-on treatment whilst they're eating or relaxing.  Don't always manage to part the fur ( as instructions say ) but it still works. 

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 14:20:40 PM »
It would be interesting to know what people outside London pay. I'm sure my vet is charging the highest price he can.

I'm wondering whether it would be worth the trip across Birmingham to Rebekah's vet, though that may be stressful for the cats.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 14:11:51 PM »
I used program with my old vet 8 years ago (in London) and it was £30 then

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 13:48:11 PM »
Totally shocked by the cost of Program injections  :shocked:

Rang the vet today to find out how much it would all cost. Fleas are making a meal of me right now. I have about five on my arms at any one time! I can't immediately take the cats to the vet cos the person who helps with them is on holiday with her boyfriend for a week.

The vet receptionist told me that each injection would be £37. To have Lucy's family treated with this would cost £148 plus the cost of the Frontline Combo for Fred and Victoria, bringing it to about £180! I'm sure Rebekah, the woman on holiday, told me that she has hers boostered and Programed for around £40 per cat.

As I've never used this treatment before, I'm not sure if this is the normal price (outside London), or if the vet is over-pricing.

I'm fairly sure that the pdsa don't do flea-treatment. I'm being overrun.

If the little butter would let me Frontline them, it would save lots of money and hassle. I really miss having domestic, tame, loving cats who aren't always thinking that I'm going to do something horrid to them.  :(

I see that the filters are hard at work; and such an innocent swear-word  :-:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 13:50:37 PM by Hippykitty »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 11:23:48 AM »
I tend to use treats some chopped chicken is good, I use the tesco value packs and my current 4 fosters all feral kittens love the stuff and are now sitting on my knee to get bits, not keen on the pick up yet but life them everyday despite their hisses

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 10:32:48 AM »
Liz, I've persuaded Fred to let me FL him using an out of date FL pack. If he'll allow this, I'm sure Victoria will. Would it be okay to mix Program (for Lucy and her boys) and Frontline (Fred and Victoria)? Or would there be some kind of clash between the two treatments?

Hopefully, by the time Lucy and her boys (who've formed a kind of colony) are ready to be treated again, they'll be tame enough to frontline  :hug:

When I get the four done, I'll pick up some frontline combo for Fred and Vic.

Off topic: is there some way I can get Lucy and her "kittens" less like a colony and more human-focussed? I've been waiting for them to come around but their close bond to eachother seems to be preventing this. Any ideas?  :thanks:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 14:15:06 PM »
No problem HK we use Program as we are a multi household and ot works out cheaper for us to use Program, the capstar is good because it can be put on wet food

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 11:47:15 AM »
Thanks for the advice Liz. I just don't like the idea of my cats having the insecticide inside them. I far prefer Frontline. If only there was some way I could persuade them to allow me to treat them.

Of the treatments you mentioned, Program seems the best.

I appreciate that you have great experience with ferals and semi-ferals and have great respect for your opinion.  :thanks:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »
HK we use the Program injection to great effect and have done so for years and nobody has had any isues with it, our dogs are on Program tablets to except they are monthly

Cap star can be given as a tablet and kills them within 24 hours, we even manage to profender some of the worst ones but it takes cornering them which can be stressful all round

Have to say I wouldn't use anything but Program and we have never had a breakout in over 15 years and have happy cats and even when we have kittens around they get their first Program with their first booster and it is now routine for us in fact our vets are now using it on more cats and dogs since we joined the practice as it means they get 2 health checks a year instead of just the one at booster time

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
What Is the Best Way to Treat Semi-ferals for Fleas?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »
Over recent weeks I've been visited by a black and white stray cat. I can't take him in - lack of room. He seems to have brought an infestation of fleas into the the house; me and the six mogs are being bitten, and it's getting worse.  :Crazy:

Normally, I'd just Frontline the cats and spray the house with Acclaim or something similar, but, unlike other cats I've had, my present occupants are unhandleable. The degree to which they'll accept handling varies: two of them can be handled, one is just coming around to it, but the other three jump like kangaroos and run away if I touch them.

How am I going to treat them? Taking them to the vet every month to see the nurse to have them Frontlined will be murder. The cat-person friend who might help is far too busy with work (teacher) and looking after her elderly mother. I've considered the six-monthly injection thingy, but don't like the way the cat has to be bitten for the flea to die, nor injecting toxins into my cats.

Has anyone got any ideas for a sneaky way to Frontline them? I have a feral trap, but it's not a crush cage. When they go to the vet, it's a two woman job: one to chase the cat into a corner where the other person has a carrying cage open on its side. As soon as the cat is in, the door is shut. I'm usually the person doing the chasing!

Any input would be gratefully received, the fleas are increasing by the day.

Then I'll have to do something about the interloper! He wears a collar but attacks me if I try to read the barrel. Seems determined to be my cat. If I was daft enough to have a seventh cat he/she would be tame, affectionate and trusting: a cat I can cuddle.  :hug:

Link to CatChat