Author Topic: Legal article - cats fouling neighbours gardens  (Read 11632 times)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: Legal article - cats fouling neighbours gardens
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 14:05:52 PM »
I'm a member of The League Against Cruel Sports and we were talking about this at the AGM on Saturday. It's difficult to get video of whoever carries out the cruelty. Even once you have that evidence, wildlife crime or any crime against animals is very low priority and is only going to get lower with police numbers being cut. That is why the league started up a department that actually do all the work and virtually hand over the ready made case to the police.

They were also saying that wildlife crime figures don't get recorded in their own category. So when it comes to setting a budget, manpower etc for this area they have no figures. So it always considered a low priority. I'm not sure if this is the same with domestic animals but it wouldn't surprise me.       

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 12:36:54 PM »
Very good article but there have been many cases reported where the owners know who killed their cat and police are not interested.

Hope my neighbour reaqds this!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 10:45:47 AM »
In all seriousness, it's probably due to lack of evidence, police would need several witnesses or some kind of physical evidence, like a video, to prosecute. Without this the CPS won't touch a case as it's likely to be dismiised at Court.

On the slightly silly side, the word "infuriate" did make me blink. I quite often infuriate Tufty just be looking at him.  :shocked:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:26:37 AM »
It's interesting to read that:

Under the Protection of Animals Act 1911 it is a criminal offence to cruelly beat, kick, ill-treat, torture, infuriate or terrify any animal.

and makes me wonder why so many of these criminal offences go unpunished.

You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Legal article - cats fouling neighbours gardens
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »
Found this while researching something else. A short but valuable article that explains the whole sensitive issue of cat trespass, nuisance and rights.

There's also a bit about the laws regarding animal cruelty, quite helpful, I think.

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/animal-law/cats-fouling.htm

Link to CatChat