Author Topic: Skin Rash on Cat's Chest  (Read 6266 times)

Offline sheilmolson

• Kitten
Re: Skin Rash on Cat's Chest
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 07:57:58 AM »
Well if you think it is only a rash then it is ok but otherwise I would like to suggest that you take your cat to the doctor to treat her as many times this rash convert into a ringworm afterwards. So if your cat is suffering from this type of fungi then you will have to take her frequently for her checkup and treat her as well. To treat the pets some special anti-fungal cremes are available which is applied to the infected area of the pet.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:44:58 AM by Rosella moggy, Reason: Ringworm treatment link removed as not cat related and I suspect this may be advertising »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 18:31:22 PM »
So pleased.  Great news  :)  Lets hope it stays away now ..... forever if possible!

Offline sam kent (thomas_kitten)

• Adult Cat
  • Do my ears look big in this?
  • Slave to: Thomas & Harry
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 17:25:25 PM »
All looking good - rash gone and fur growing back. It's all still a big mystery though.

Thanks for all your help and support.  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 23:16:32 PM »
These are my first two cats and are like children to me, some of my friends just cannot understand.

Freinds! pah... waddoo they know?  :innocent:  We luvs our furkids so we duz  ;)  Hope Harry's rash is clearing up  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 20:48:41 PM »
We all understand how you feel about your cats cos we feel the same about ours  :hug: :hug:

So pleased he is doing well  ;D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 20:00:18 PM »
The bit that baffles me is, ...The best way to prevent your cat from contracting a staph infection is to keep it in a clean, sanitary environment."

I am not in any way suggesting that website is a trusted source of info for this condition ........ really I'm not. The use of the word "disgusting" rather than debilitating or unpleasant is a bit unprofessional  :-:  I was just wondering if that might be the name the vet mentioned.  Now that we think it might be, it's best to google more informative sites for info if you want to know more than your vet is able to advise at this stage.  I usually prefer UK sites if possible as they will hopefully gives names of treatments and general terminology used here.  From a quick google, it may be that Harry has an underlying condition that is allowing the staph bacteria to build up and cause a problem?  I think we can safely say that allergies occur in the very cleanest of houses  :)

Our Fred (sadly now departed........ I hasten to add from nothing skin related) also used to have a skin condition that used to come and go.  He used to have sore patches around his neck and upper chest.  It was never serious enough or last long enough to test for allergies.  I always assumed it was stress related but that might be coz it stressed me out  ;)  We used to apply Fuciderm cream.  It used to go within a couple of weeks. 

Skin related conditions really are a pain to get to the bottom of and I wish you, and Harry of course  :care: , much luck.  I found an article aimed at Vet Graduates written by Royal Canin that is pretty heavy going and includes upsetting pics of cats with some nasty skin conditions so am not going to post it.  It does however make it clear how difficult it is to get to the bottom of skin problems.  You might be better to wait a wee while to see how Harry responds to the AB and steroids injections?

TY and apologies also. I think I overreacted to the possibility of  it being my fault (see previous post) - the staph you found is correct I just didn't remember. Harry has responded well to the treatment. He ate nothing for the first 36 hours and was soooo lethargic, but he was the same last time he had antibiotics - I read somewhere about possible side-effects and they concur. he's now full of beans and I wish he was sleepy again!  ;)

I'm so sorry about your Fred. (((hugs))) These are my first two cats and are like children to me, some of my friends just cannot understand.

I looked up the Fuciderm gel and will discuss that option with the vet if this rash reoccurs. Poor little darling, with it happening twice in 10 months when he's only 2 years old. The cost of vets fees is my least concern as I'll always go without something to make sure they have the best they can, I just don't want him going through this trauma every time. I would love a conclusive answer to the problem so I could eliminate the source, but skin scrapes, etc with sedation and a day at the vets would also be stressful for the little fella.

TY for your help Rosella.  :thanks:

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 19:38:51 PM »
I think you just read the bad part, I read the goood part which says that abs usually clear it up in days and its something that is there in the skin all the time and a sim iliar one in humans skin too.

I hope that by the end of the weekend its improving  :hug: :hug:

Harry's a lot better thanks - I think we caught it quick enough this time from our previous experience to prevent the full scale Elizabethan collar treatment we had to endure for 2 weeks last time. He was so sweet with his collar ... bless him ... but took a while to get used to his new larger head size! ;)

I think you're right about me reading the bad bits - I spoil my boys rotten with the best diet, love, vet care, insurance and more love and I got overly paranoid when I thought it could be my fault. (((sorry))

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »
The bit that baffles me is, ...The best way to prevent your cat from contracting a staph infection is to keep it in a clean, sanitary environment."

I am not in any way suggesting that website is a trusted source of info for this condition ........ really I'm not. The use of the word "disgusting" rather than debilitating or unpleasant is a bit unprofessional  :-:  I was just wondering if that might be the name the vet mentioned.  Now that we think it might be, it's best to google more informative sites for info if you want to know more than your vet is able to advise at this stage.  I usually prefer UK sites if possible as they will hopefully gives names of treatments and general terminology used here.  From a quick google, it may be that Harry has an underlying condition that is allowing the staph bacteria to build up and cause a problem?  I think we can safely say that allergies occur in the very cleanest of houses  :)

Our Fred (sadly now departed........ I hasten to add from nothing skin related) also used to have a skin condition that used to come and go.  He used to have sore patches around his neck and upper chest.  It was never serious enough or last long enough to test for allergies.  I always assumed it was stress related but that might be coz it stressed me out  ;)  We used to apply Fuciderm cream.  It used to go within a couple of weeks. 

Skin related conditions really are a pain to get to the bottom of and I wish you, and Harry of course  :care: , much luck.  I found an article aimed at Vet Graduates written by Royal Canin that is pretty heavy going and includes upsetting pics of cats with some nasty skin conditions so am not going to post it.  It does however make it clear how difficult it is to get to the bottom of skin problems.  You might be better to wait a wee while to see how Harry responds to the AB and steroids injections?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 23:33:59 PM »
I think you just read the bad part, I read the goood part which says that abs usually clear it up in days and its something that is there in the skin all the time and a sim iliar one in humans skin too.

I hope that by the end of the weekend its improving  :hug: :hug:

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 23:04:37 PM »
"Staphylococcus bacteria".  Could this be what the vet mentioned?

http://www.vetinfo.com/feline-staph-infection.html/#b

I think you maybe a genius Rosella - I'll still phone the vet, but the fact that the article says, "The symptoms of a feline staph infection so closely resemble those of feline ringworm that it is often difficult for cat owners to distinguish between the two. The affected cat will develop circular, hairless lesions on its skin. These lesions will be red and irritated, and they will sometimes be covered in small scabs or pimples."

The bit that baffles me is, "Feline staph infection is a disgusting disease that often occurs in cats with poor general health. The best way to prevent your cat from contracting a staph infection is to keep it in a clean, sanitary environment." .......... my house is spotless and they have the best diet possible.

The staph possibility was a discussion after I suggested testing for ringworm. The jury's still out on contact allergy.

TY x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 20:42:23 PM »
"Staphylococcus bacteria".  Could this be what the vet mentioned?

http://www.vetinfo.com/feline-staph-infection.html/#b
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 20:46:55 PM by Rosella moggy »

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 19:19:42 PM »
Sorry cant work out the spelling and whaqt did the vet tell you about this?

If it's the staphasaurus??? bacterial infection it's just one of those things and nothing to worry about. I spelled it phonetically as well as I could remember it. I should have asked for the correct spelling, but I was just so happy it wasn't ringworm after some of the feedback from the forum had worried me. I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out the exact spelling.

The injections should clear the rash up in 2-3 days. If not, he'll go back in for dermatological tests next week. This will involve sedating him, shaving the area, taking skin scrapes and a blood sample, then depending on the results maybe a small biopsy. The result of these tests will determine what he's allergic to and I can remove the offending object(s) from the house.

I hope that helps.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 18:15:45 PM »
Sorry cant work out the spelling and whaqt did the vet tell you about this?

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 17:45:35 PM »
Well it's not ringworm, or a flea allergy or a food allergy!

Apparently something called stephasaurus (can someone help with the spelling???) can look like ringworm as it forms in a circular pattern, so it could be that; it's a bacterial infection. It can start from a small scratch, but twice in exactly the same location is odd.

Looks like we're back to a contact allergy. He's had an antibiotic and steroid injection, and I've got the Elizabethan collar and iodine on standby! lol

We could go down the dermatological test route to find out exactly what it is. What do you think?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 02:02:25 AM »
I dont think last years rash was ring worm but you say that he has a patch the size of a 10p now and that could be.

Yes they use UV light to check and its worth them testing even if its just to rule it out

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 22:18:56 PM »
Have no other useful suggestions I'm afraid but doubt it could be ringworm as it's highly contagious and if he had the same lesion last year then you and your other cat would have caught it by now too! Hopefully the skin scrape will shed some light on it and it's something that can be easily treated.

Thanks Tiggy. He's asleep now in a big ball, so maybe he's allergic to himself? ;)

Thomas is lactose intolerant (gets scabs/spots on his chin) and allergic to fleas. If there was a flea in the house Thomas would have a reaction at the base of his tail.

They're both indoor cats (have full access to all rooms and tell ME when to feed them lol), but I did wonder if any plants or food, for example, could cause this. They have Purina One Indoor Cat as their main food. They have chicken, red meats, tuna, mussels, prawns ............... spoiled brats for wet food treats! They also have vegetables and rice from time to time, and occasionally they have cat milk. It's all pure, so never any sauces or marinades. (hope that made sense)

And now I've got me thinking. Harry pinched a couple of Maltesers last week when my back was turned for 0.000000000000000001 seconds. Chocolate allergy?

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, he's off to the vet Friday.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 21:56:29 PM »
Have no other useful suggestions I'm afraid but doubt it could be ringworm as it's highly contagious and if he had the same lesion last year then you and your other cat would have caught it by now too! Hopefully the skin scrape will shed some light on it and it's something that can be easily treated.

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 20:33:58 PM »
Have they tested for Ringworm?

Very contagious and can pass to humans, so think if they havent maybe a good idea

They never tested for this - don't they use a UV lamp to check for ringworm?

I did wonder about this last year, but when it cleared up with antibiotics in a few days I ruled it out as a cause of the problem. I thought ringworm required a four week treatment of shampooing and creams to clear it up, not antibiotics. Obviously I'm not a vet, so I'm no expert on this.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 19:46:01 PM »
Have they tested for Ringworm?

Very contagious and can pass to humans, so think if they havent maybe a good idea

• Adult Cat
Skin Rash on Cat's Chest
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 19:42:23 PM »
Hello guys, such a long time since I last visited. Thomas is well - he's got everything wrong with him, but at least they all have a diagnosis and we can handle them! lol

Now we have Harry who's 2 years old.

He has this rash on his chest - I could feel the sores under his fur when I was fussing him earlier today. He had the same thing last September in the same place and the fur fell out. They ruled out a flea allergy, gave him an antibiotic injection, an Elizabethan collar (lol), and I applied an iodine/water solution until it healed.

The vet suggested it could be a contact allergy, and I watched him for days ... weeks to see if he was sleeping with his chest on something, but nothing seemed obvious.

I've booked him into the vet so they can have a look, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be? They might do a skin scrape!?

It's scabby, but not red (though last year it went red, but I think that was him overgrooming the area as I didn't spot it straight away) and it's about the size of a 10p coin. TBH I don't think he's even noticed yet!  ;)

Would love to hear from you.

Link to CatChat