Author Topic: Introducing a "step-brother"  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Lily-

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Joy & Oliver Twist
Re: Introducing a "step-brother"
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 11:07:25 AM »
Thanks again, as soon as my next exam at university is over I'll read carefully :)
Oh yes, it really boils me too  >:( Thanks God there are those volunteers who save many of them, but still... Sometimes I still wonder which destiny had the bros and sis of Oliver, one of mine, cos I found him alone when he was 10 days old near the trash, in a box, but not a trace of the others  >:(

For the moment we are waiting a confirm to adopt him :) if everything is ok with the volunteers (he will arrive from the South of Italy), in the first week he should be at his new home  :Luv: can't wait cover him in kisses ahah :D

I miss you babe ♥

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 01:12:34 AM »
oh no!  :-[ poor little mite  :'(
people are so cruel! it really boils me that type of thing  >:( >:( Hope kittie is doing ok and i think you're right to takr it slowly  :Luv2: big hugs for him  :hug:

I dont know an awful lot about FIV & FelV to be honest  :shy: - but there is an information section on here and also many members who know about it and are owners of positive cats...its very detailed and helpful  ;D i have been lucky as far as anything like that has been concerned and to be honest i didnt know an awful lot about it or even realised how common it can be! So do have a look  ;D
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/board,10.0.html

Good luck though and keeps us informed on how its all going and how the kitten is getting on  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:15:46 AM by funkiechicken, Reason: added link »
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Lily-

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:38:10 AM »
Thanks soooo much for the reply :D
The day we go to take the little one I'll surely bring him something belongin to his "step brothers", so that he can start smelling them even if not directly :) I think we will wait he gets a bit stronger to let everyone meet together.. The little one is quite weak at the moment and survived a poisoning ( :censored: what i think about who tried it!), totally scared and so on... so we will surely wait a bit to let him get used to human contacts in a quiet place and test him for Fiv and FeLV (finger crosseeeed!!!), so well... we will have some months to let everyone get used to each others' scent through objects :)

Oh, by the way... any advice about Fiv/FeLV? I know they have to be tested at 6 months since the "dangerous" contact, is that right? And as his mummy is tested (negative) there are good chances he is negative too, right?

(Sorry for the mistakes with the language, I'm pretty sure there are many  :shy: )

I miss you babe ♥

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 00:58:31 AM »
Hello!!  :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Kittens are generally aminable and tend to accept things pretty well. If your cats are used to moving around to various places with you then i think it is best for the kitten to do the same with your OH. it would make her less nervous of being in new places and being with whatever pets are in these various places.
Firstly though, as cats rely on scent alone, then your boyfriend should bring an item of the kittens to you so that your boys become familiar. Also i think the first trip of the new extended family should be you going to the kitten. Your boys will become familiar with it in an environment that your lads wont have to defend as territory. Secondly, dont expect too much too soon. They have a way of undoing all your hard work in less than 5minutes  :evillaugh:
If the kitten was with you fulltime, separation for a period is adviseable, but you will know your boys and whether that is needed in this scenario. Play is a great distraction and just ending day 2 of my new kitten introduction - it is a great tool  :evillaugh: my issue is that 16weeks old Evil Evie is the one bossing my boys about and not the other way round as predicted  :rofl: :rofl:
But i'm sure it will be fine. Its not an issue and if you stress then the cats will pick up on it. Given you boys temperament i think they'll all get on fine  ;D ;D
And even though the new arrival will be an only child most of the time, cats do remember smells etc and given a day to get over the shock of their arrival it will all settle down i'm sure  :)
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Lily-

• Adult Cat
Introducing a "step-brother"
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 17:46:21 PM »
Hi :) I'm a bit in advance with the advice I'm going to ask, but well.. I prefer to be well ready :)
I have two cats, 1year and 8 months and 1 year and 2 months old.
My boyfriend is gonna adopt a kitten in few weeks as soon as he will be in his new flat, and it'll probably be a little male of about 2 months saved by some volunteers from a stray-kitten future.
Me and my boyfriend live far, but it happens we spend several weeks together at mine or his place, and we would like all our cats could share the same house in those weeks.

My cats are 2 males, both neutered, and we are not too worried about them as they are already used to share things (and cuddles  ;D) and they are pretty "open" to new friends (my parents have a dog and there is no problem at all with him too), but we would try to start in the best way with the little one who will arrive.
I guess it'll be maybe a bit more difficult for him, as he will be a "only child" during most of the year, so well... if anyone has any advice it'd be great :)

I miss you babe ♥

Link to CatChat