Author Topic: Litter training a Blind Cat  (Read 2985 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Litter training a Blind Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 20:32:55 PM »
Ah, not that then  :shy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 13:10:27 PM »
It can also be heard and Lupin ignores it but drives me crazy LOL

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 10:21:10 AM »
I wondered if something like Gill's mole deterrent might work. It sends a pulse through the ground that a cat could feel through the floor.

Offline a11ycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 13:09:28 PM »
Thanks I have had a look at those links, but I think the lack of smell means most of the suggestions won't work sadly...

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline a11ycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 16:13:05 PM »
We let her come out onto the patio which is a safe area for her when we are there, but I would want a run to keep her safe from the neighbours cats in case they decided to pick on her... it's on the plan but a bit on down the list (though am keeping an eye on free ads sites for a bargain!).
I have just thought based on your puppy pad idea that although she has her tray in her little cupboard, the tiling of the floor is the same in the cupboard as it is in the kitchen, so I will try and get a flooring which is different for the cupboard so that it will have a completely different feel for it, but will be cleanable in case she has accidents... hadn't thought of that, so thank you!!!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 16:02:43 PM »
A11 said she has no sense of smell either which is sad.

If you use puppy pads up to and around the tray that would maybe help as she might get used to the feel of them under her feet.

Blind cats are so clever and do hope you can sort this out, that clock sounds like a great idea but she doesnt seem to have got the hang of it yet.

Loads of good luck with Ebony she sounds lovely and probably will start to settle better now she is in her real home  :hug: :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 15:50:59 PM »
Any chance you could build her an outside run so she can at least go out

We used puppy training pads for our late great Bertie he was blind and  always went in head first it is also an idea to try and have the house set up so she has familiar smelss - we mmoved when Bert was 20 and he mastered the whole house but the downstairs rooms we had the furniture set up the same as out last house and he seemed happy with that
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline a11ycat

• Adult Cat
Litter training a Blind Cat
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 14:37:09 PM »
I'm sure I've posted on here before, but couldn't find my most recent thread so afraid I'm starting another one... hope that's ok.

We adopted Ebony a 2 year old cat blinded after being hit by a car in November 2010 about 2 months after the accident as her owners couldn't cope with her.
We lived in that house for 10 months longer before moving into a caravan for 8 months and moved back into the house 4 weeks ago, which I know is far from ideal for a blind cat, but it couldn't be helped and we are settled now...

The problem is that we are still having trouble getting her to use a litter tray.... (N.B. She has no sense of smell)
If she is kept in a small area she is fine, she was fine in the small room where she stayed in the caravan to use a tray with newspaper, but any where outside of that she would just toilet wherever she was.
We are keeping her in the kitchen (quite a large room) at the moment, and have converted under the stairs for her, so she has her litter tray, her bed and her food; during the day she has free access to the kitchen and at night we close her in under the stairs and she goes to bed and keeps things very clean. However during the day she will toilet anywhere in the kitchen... (if we can solve the toileting thing we would happily give her full access to the kitchen at all times and could then give her access to the rest of the house (a bit at a time)).

As was suggested previously I have put an old fashioned alarm clock just next to the tray with newspaper (she doesn't currently accept cat litter/sand etc. but will work on that once I have her reliably using the newspaper), anyway the clock 'ticks' so she can use that to know where the litter tray is, and it can be heard all around the kitchen...

Any help, ideas appreciated. We will not be giving up on her as we know both being blind and not being litter trained she has no hope of finding another home, and she is a very loving cat who we love... but we need some sort of solution... and my preferred solution is to train her to use the tray.
Long term if we can't I will need to look at creating an outdoor run for during the day, and/or looking into nappies. :(

Link to CatChat