Author Topic: Dental dilemna - what would you do?  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Dental dilemna - what would you do?
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 21:18:10 PM »
Hmmn, just when I thought I'd made my mind up!  :doh: I was going to ring up on Weds and get Lu booked in for after my hols so will ask what the notes say about Riley and decide on the spot!

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 19:07:49 PM »
My opinion is that I would get them both done at the same time, partly for the convenience of one day of fasting, post op recovery etc. but also because it seems that Riley does need a dental, just not as urgently as Lu.   If his teeth were fine the dentist would, presumably, have not said he would need a dental in as little as 6 months.  If that's the case,  I would just go ahead and get it done now rather than hold off a few months if it's going to need doing within the next year anyway.

I think it's hard to know for sure whether they will need extractions, or indeed how bad it is,  until they get them under an anaesthetic and can have a good look inside.   I had a similar situation with Jaffa when he was 8 - advised at routine annual examination that he would need a dental in the next few months so I booked him in and when they were able to do a proper examination they discovered he did actually have a broken tooth and another that needed taking out.   My insurer at the time (petplan) paid out in full for the treatment (minus excess of course).

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 18:25:09 PM »
 :thanks: all, that's decided it for me then... I'll take them both  :evillaugh: Joke! I take all your points on board and will leave Riley til it's needed more urgently.

Bronagh, the boys are only 5 but this is preventative work really to stop the need for extractions in the future or gingivitis from developing. He doesn't need any teeth out, just a scale and polish to get rid of the thick tartar.

Will have to check out the T&C's of the policy but the vet said the same that it likely won't be covered on the insurance as it's a preventative procedure. I don't think he has gingivitis (although his gums were red) but in a way I'd rather no 'conditions' were recorded against him so I could switch if needed. Mind you I've no doubt any future inso co would try and wriggle out of any future claim  :tired:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 11:03:48 AM »
We found out Inca feral needed a dental and have to say waitied till another one of the Clan did just so happened it was his full brother Maverick as last year Inca was supposed to be at the vets for week to get the Heparin injections after being hit by a car I got him back 10 hours after addmittance due to him slashing the nice vet nurses and 3 vets so love my ferals but he was put in with maverick in the big isolation pen and was as good as gold :shocked:

I think waiting is best then you can have huggie days with the other one whilst waiting to go and pick them up  :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 07:37:43 AM »
There's another impressive thumb nail action going on with our vet too  :)  Must be part of the vet curriculum. 

Another vote here for leaving it until necessary  :hug: 

A word to the wise  :shify:  I'm pretty sure the boys are still insured?  Noni went for her booster recently and vet mentioned scale & polish advised sooner rather than later due to tartar build up.  So I said, "no probs thank heaven for insurance".  Vet said that some insurances don't cover dental work.  I said Axa does as long as for health reasons so vet said "I better make sure I record her gingivitis then".  Moral;  make sure Lu's records record the condition he has that requires the dental work.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:38:45 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 21:26:38 PM »
MMMMMM I was told 6 years ago that Lilli needed teeth out. So then I gave then dentabits. Next visit and every visit thereafter - no need for removals. Marmalade has lost a fang all on her own, but I still believe she whacked it out herself as she has a habit of headbutting radiator corners, table corners etc with her face!!!! She and Lilli will be 13 in August and both have lovely pearly whites!!! How old are Lu & Riley???
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 18:08:21 PM »
Thanks Sheila, 2-0 for waiting then! Riley may just have earned himself a reprieve!  :naughty:

My brill vet has a special thumbnail he uses to pop tartar build up off their back teeth when they go for their annual MOT, I love my vet  :Luv:

So does mine, he did try it on Lu's back teeth where the build up is worst but it wasn't budging - he was actually quite disappointed that he couldn't get it off with his thumbnail! He's the vet that looked after Tiggy through her CRF so I do trust his judgement.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 17:45:48 PM »
I'd get Lu sorted out on his own, Helen. Riley has got a while yet, time to save up.

Any general anaesthetic carries a small risk so I leave mine as long as possible, so long as they're not in pain, before dental work is required.

My brill vet has a special thumbnail he uses to pop tartar build up off their back teeth when they go for their annual MOT, I love my vet  :Luv:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 16:46:33 PM »
Thanks Teresa, you do talk sense  :hug: I wasn't considering it so Lu wasn't on his own - I was thinking about me really, so that I would have just one day of worry instead of two! Lu's teeth were definitely much worse than Riley's, they don't need extraction or anything like that but as the vet explained it the sacle/polish is about preventing the need for extractions or allowing the gums to recede.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 16:40:34 PM »
Helen its my guess the boys were "at the same stage when they were small" So that bit needs to be taken out of the equation.Lu and Riley are your much loved and spoilt boys and its obvious to all that you want the best for them including not giving one a trip to vet without the other; Rileys teeth may last a couple of years who knows.
Take human emotions out of the equation and I think you will realise that Lu is a big boy now and can go on his own. You have already mentioned the anaesthetic which isnt necessary yet.
Now costs, extravagant, pay for Lu and then treat both boys to a little something from Purrs shop (ok I know they have too much already) a much cheaper option and less chance of you being sick with worry if deprived of both your boys at once. :hug: :hug:
O the luxury of having your own cats  :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Dental dilemna - what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 15:50:47 PM »
When the boys had their booster and check up a few weeks ago the vet said that Lu needed a 'scale and polish' as his tartar is quite bad causing his gums to be red. I'm going to book him in for when I get back from my hols but the dilemna is over Riley...

The vet said that Riely's teeth weren't as bad as Lu's but that he would need the same as Lu but not as urgently ie he would need it within the next 6 months-year. Should I book Riley in at the same time as Lu just to get it over and done with? This way they would then be at the same stage once it's done and I would only have one day of worrying! Part of me thinks it's a good idea to get his done early but the other part is thinking he will then be put through an anaesthetic when there's no pressing need plus I will be paying out when not strictly needed (the receptionist said they can be £2-300  :Crazy: ).

Help me decide please!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 16:07:21 PM by Tiggy's Mum »

Link to CatChat