Author Topic: Stubborn Fleas  (Read 3682 times)

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
Re: Stubborn Fleas
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 01:28:49 AM »
last year we had the dreaded fleas...being new to it all i tried all sorts around the house but they would disapear and be back in a few days :-[

I then discovered indorex (got on amazon) and omg...that stuff really worked!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :dance:

I only have to frontline and drontal (worm) cats now and touchwood after the indorex i havent seen a flea in a year...yay!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 22:48:52 PM »
Animed and VetUK are both good reputable sites, Animed does free p+p, VetUK does food too, so I like to set up a basket on both sites and see which one works out cheaper depending on what I need and what's on offer.

Glad we could help.  :briggin:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Belle, Malcolm & Hal
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 22:31:02 PM »
Thanks, that's useful. I think my problem has been that I'm not sure where's a reputable online source, but you've solved that problem for me. They probably are trying to fleece me  ;)

All my cats are petite and under 4kg, so I'll have to get the small dose.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 22:27:00 PM »
I have eight cats, use Advantage every six weeks during the flea season ( I don't usually bother through the winter, never had problems when it's cold, so get three months or so break) so my investment is:

1 can Indorex £12

plus:

6 treatments per cat per year (1 each every six weeks during flea season) x 8 cats = 48 treatments @ six treatments per pack =  8 packs @ £21 per pack (large cat dose, Animed) = £168 per year

So for 8 cats, I'm flea free for £180. Job done.

Actually thats a little higher than my actual spend because I have two female cats whom I dose as small cats, below 4kg, so their pipettes are a bit cheaper.

I'd do my own sums if I were you, the sort of saving they're talking about doesn't reflect the actual real-life costs of buying from an accredited on-line source (not vet prices) and dosing according to need, not to suit the pocket of the producer.

I'm not saying your vet is attempting to fleece you, but their way is not always the only way.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 21:41:01 PM »
Interesting! Well, I say my vet - I have about 3 on the go at the moment. This is the vet I have used the longest. I'm not sure where the other two stand on it and haven't been able to find out over bank holiday.

I suppose the false economy would be right, since I'd be using a pipette and a quarter to treat all 5, but she said something about a bottle of liquid and a syringe. Either way, I'm feeling less comfortable with it the more I think about it. I could probably do it right, it's just not worth getting wrong. Although, it would save about £240 a year from what she's told me.

I don't think they're suffering as much as slightly irritated, but I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 21:30:05 PM »
Thank you for all your responses.

EDIT: One other question, although I'm fairly sure I know the answer given the information in the guides. My neighbour works at my vet and tells me that she and the rest of the staff treat their cats off label with 0.2ml of advantage dog since it's cheaper and you can effectively get 4x the amount of treatments out of it. What's the general feeling about this?

I have also been told this, but frankly the small saving in cash terms is not worth the risk of overdosing and unless you could can effectively use all four doses in one go it's false economy they won't keep in the pipette once the seal is broken.

I also tentatively suggest that if your vet is denying the current known issues with Frontline (and you are still experiencing problems with it  :shify: ) your vet may well be on commission from the supplier. Advantage and Effipro are very effective in my experience ( moreso than Frontline for the last 12 months) and others get good results from Stronghold, and an unbiased vet should be able to recommend alternative brands.

If your cats are suffering, a dose of Capstar will kill all fleas on them in a day, but doesn't act as an ongoing treatment.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 20:43:24 PM »
Thank you for all your responses.

The funny thing is that my vets insist that Frontline is the only way, so I suppose they're not in the loop about the problems people are experiencing.

Apologies, I should have mentioned that my cats do have access to the outside. I wondered if they were bringing them in with them, but there seem to be too many for that. The numbers seem to have risen. I'm combing through all of them to keep an eye on the situation and I'm getting at least one off each cat now. One of my toms had 8 the other day, I'm still itching just thinking about it.  :(

Thank you for the website recommendation, Shelia. I'll do it that way since it is worse, but not so bad that I can't wait a few days. I was bitten quite a lot the other day, but that seems a bit better. Typically, the other half gets away with no bites.

I'll order some advantage and indorex and hopefully we can all stop itching.

EDIT: One other question, although I'm fairly sure I know the answer given the information in the guides. My neighbour works at my vet and tells me that she and the rest of the staff treat their cats off label with 0.2ml of advantage dog since it's cheaper and you can effectively get 4x the amount of treatments out of it. What's the general feeling about this?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 20:48:23 PM by Lauryn »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 07:18:51 AM »
We use Frontline and have no probs but I was also going to recommend a thorough use of decent spray like Indorex or Acclaim.  Might seem pricey but it's only once a year.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 23:38:28 PM »
We use Program injections on the cats twice a year and Program tablets on the 3 dogs and have no issues we have carpets, tiles and wooden floors and have no problems or out breaks
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 18:38:05 PM »
Hi there.

I have eight in/outdoor cats, and have managed a few flea outbreaks in the past. I would say your flea problem seems a way short of an outbreak, so don't panic. I assume your cats go outside? OK, let's work on that premise.

My cats can be flea free but still go outside and pick up unwelcome visitors from the outside, these may be the one's you're finding on your cats. They will be killed off by the topical flea treatment you are using so long as it's still effective.

Indorex household spray works to kill any fleas, larvae and eggs that have taken up residence, and breaks the flea's lifecycle for 12 months, so you only need to treat the house once a year.

I use Advantage every six weeks or so, which is now available without prescription from Animed (on-line, free postage) so long as you register your cat(s) on their site so their resident vets can monitor what's being bought.
I swapped from Frontline when it ceased being effective for us last year. Indorex is also available on the Animed site, or from VetUK (you don't need to be a vet to use this site, by the way!)

I don't have carpets either but still treat the hot spots in the house (cat beds, trees and under radiators for example).

Last tip, when you spray, leave it overnight then hoover up any dead bodies, then fling the bag in the outside bin in case there's any live ones in there.

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 18:16:27 PM »
My vet said that in some parts of their practice (based in Broadway Worcestershire) Frontline works but not others
So to be sure they recommend Stronghold   

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 18:10:49 PM »
That is interesting about the regions Peggy.

I also use frontline but have for years.

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 17:49:49 PM »
When Oscar had his annual checkup and booster a month ago I asked the vet which flea control she recommends as I know that there have been reservations about Frontline  She gave me Stronghold as she said that Frontline works in some districts but not in others.  The cat should be treated at monthly intervals  It also works on earmites and some internal parasites but they still need seperate treatment for worms 
Spraying the house is a good idea to make sure that the cats are not reinfected.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 17:40:10 PM »
I think you have to leave it 4 weeks but best check with the vet cos am sure they know that Frontline/Frip** is not working often.

You just need to be sure that you dont overload them with the drug but think there is quite a safety margin built in.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 17:32:33 PM »
That's great, thanks. It is the same as Frontline, yes.

Is there a set amount of time before I can treat them with either of the alternatives?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 17:22:27 PM »
If Fripolene is what is in Frontline then this may be the problem cos there are now many reports of it not working.

If it is then best to change to Stronghold or Advantage, think both are prescription only.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
Stubborn Fleas
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 13:53:15 PM »
Hi,

I've read a couple of posts and the guide about this, but I'd like some help on my particular problem and how to tackle it more aggressively than I have been.

I have 5 cats all over 1 year old. Since the beginning of Spring I've been struggling to tackle their fleas.

I've been using Fiproline - is there a problem with this product?

I hoover the house frequently (partly out of paranoia) and I don't have carpets in the house. I've also disposed of the bags. I've used spray on the sofa, beds and just about any soft furnishing I can get my hands on.

It's been three weeks since I last treated them and I found a flea in one of my younger tom's coats. Strangely, only the toms seem to be infested (I have three males, two females).

I'm finding flea dirt on all three toms, but have only found the one flea. Thankfully, I haven't been bitten and this combined with the relatively small amount of dirt I've found suggests that it isn't a particularly bad infestation. I'm usually bitten very badly.

Unfortunately, I've been made redundant recently and believe me, they eat before I do, but I'd appreciate advice on  the most economic way to try to tackle this.

Thanks!

Link to CatChat