Author Topic: Pudding Anxiety  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Pudding Anxiety
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 01:27:25 AM »
I understand about cats on the stairs  :rofl:

The birmans are gonna kill me one day!!

Good luck with litttle Pudding, she has come so far but obviously another step she needs to take now

Offline Claire Hirsch

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 21:59:39 PM »
Hi Gill. Thanks for this reply. Yes, I'm going to buy some more Feliway (which does help- I think you misread that bit- hardly surprising given what a long post it was! ...). And yes, I'm sure Wizz would have the answers. She was brilliant with Pudding when she first arrived. (And I think Wizz had a presentiment about what would ensue when she called Pudding a "little madam" after seeing the first pics of her having settled in!)
I left the comfy cardigan out all day today and I'll do that all next week to see if it makes a difference.
If only she'd let me pick her up and carry her it wouldn't be such a nuisance making the trek up or down 5 flights of stairs with an obdurate cat attempting to impede progress!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 17:46:27 PM »
Yes I agree she has come on by miles and agree that something of yours that can be left for her to snuggle in downstairs may help, but it needs to be left for her permanently.

The feliway may help even though you didnt think it could but if this continues , I would contact dear Wizz cos I am sure she will be able to give yousome way of helping Pudding again. She obviously has become very dependent   and possesive of you.

Kinda know the problem although nothing as extreme, but Misa and Ducha do not like me doing anything different to normal and have been followed to bedroom and down again by both and Ducha has been whining at top of voice.

Misa was OK once he realized that I was still in the house but makes me wonder what happens when I go out!

Offline Claire Hirsch

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 15:16:41 PM »
Good thinking. I keep letting her sleep snuggled in a big thick cardigan on the bed, then wearing the cardigan myself during the day. (Doesn't sound good does it, but I assure you it, and she, is clean...). Of course that's probably not helping matters at all, and I should actually either leave it for her somewhere during the day (probably somewhere on the stairs since that's where she often sits).
Of course, once one provides a cat with anything they will always ignore it in favour of the thing they're not meant to be sitting on!

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 15:04:38 PM »
 :Luv: It is clear from your post that Pudding has come on miles and miles and that its ALL down to your hard work so first off a HUGE well done, you've acheived something fantastic.

Er.. now for the tricky bit  :scared: I really can't offer anything terribly intelligent, it sounds like you know what you're doing, but yep go for the Feliway refill, that's a good plan, and maybe also leave her something that smells strongly (in the nicest possible sense!) of you for her to snuggle downstairs? Few-days-old pyjamas seem to work best for me  :sick:
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Claire Hirsch

• Adult Cat
Pudding Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 15:01:06 PM »
(With apologies for lenth)...

Some of you may know that last autumn I fostered a traumatised- pretty much feral young cat called Pudding. Her only human contact had been physically abusive, and her response to all humans was extreme fear and ferocious aggression when cornered (many CP members went to casualty as a result of attempting to get her vet-checked or to change her litter tray when she was at the shelter). It took some months (and lots of help from Wizz) to tame her, by which time she'd formed an extremely close bond with me but wouldn't tolerate any other humans. It became clear that her only option apart from living on a farm would be to stay with me... so of course she stayed.

Now... in the ensuing year Pudding has come on in leaps and bounds. She grows more affectionate all the time and constantly tolerates new things- challenging her own boundaries. (Although it has taken nearly a year for her to stop whacking OH every time he comes near. She still won't allow a stroke from him, but does occasionally sniff his hand).

She loves the garden and the adventures to be had there, and she loves her catnip mice and string and -oddly- sticky paper, (but really only when I'm playing with her, although she does have the occasional mad five minutes on her own with a ping pong ball).

But what she can't stand is not being with me every second of the day. She often sleeps on my bed at night. And I work from home, so my morning disappearance up to the study is met with wails of disapproval from down below. If she goes out she squawks loudly and incessantly on her return until I come down to greet her. All very charming... But recently this has developed into more obsessive behaviour. If I attempt to leave the room before she's ready for my departure she lunges for my legs and bites them. If I attempt to go upstairs (which she knows means "back to work") she tries to ambush me and whacks me about the legs or hands. She gets quite agitated when she thinks I'm not going to be staying and playing. She's even reluctant to venture in to the garden without me at her side. And today we went out and she hid behind me the entire time. I wondered whether it's neighbour cats that are causing the fear, but she tends not to seem too bothered by them (though she does have a very vocal and occasionally spatting rivalry with one neighbourhood cat who doesn't seem to understand whose garden is whose!). Because I'm at home most of the time I would almost certainly know about any fights, and there don't seem to have been any...

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do? I'm of the extremely gentle school of discipline and in any case I don't want to undo any of the good progress she's made in human bonding. Occasionally when she's in anxious biting mode I pick her up (certainly not her favourite thing) and hug her tightly, giving her lots of strokes. She does purr (almost despite herself) when I do this, and often it seems to calm her down (or perhaps it just puts her off approaching me again!)

She can be quite the little madam when she wants to be. Demands for the back door to be left open (despite the perfectly good catflap) are usually accompanied by threats to whack if one tries to shut it. My response to the whacking is the same as it's always been. I never let on that it has an effect, since Pudding used her considerable force and ferocity to keep humans at bay until she met me, and I reckoned that the fear humans showed was a) what reinforced that behaviour and b) frightening in itself. But... I don't particularly want to be bitten all the time... (!)

I guess I could try a refill for the feliway plug-ins I used when first taming her. She does seem to respond to that. But other than that I'm drawing a blank...

Link to CatChat