Author Topic: Sudden behaviour change  (Read 1575 times)

Offline DonI

• Kitten
Re: Sudden behaviour change
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 12:46:34 PM »
Problem is, they were intended to be breeding Queens. But as neither of them care to indulge in the neccessary, I suppose thats by the board. We have tried to mate them three times each now with different studs, but no luck. The usual pattern is, they get introduced, the male does his pounce :wow:, gets a lady like fist in the face and a good slapping for his impertinance :(, and thats the end of it.

Same routine every time. So I suppose spaying is the best option. I shall have to talk to my wife about it. :tired:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 16:43:42 PM »
Yep, agree with Sheila about the need for at least one other litter tray - although I'm sure you won't want to be plumbing in another Cat Genie - expensive business lol!

Sounds like hormones, so neutering will probably resolve it.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 12:44:35 PM »
At 18 months they may be vying for alpha female status, so everything in your home is part of the war to win possession.

I suggest introducing a second litter tray so they have one each, and place it far enough away from the first one to be entirely separate, preferably in a different part of the house.

There is also the strong possibility that an unseen enemy is causing them to stress out.

As un-neutered females their scent will be strong enough to attract entire males to your door even though they don't go outside. A stray male will spray outside your home on the doors and walls and your girls will be able to smell these attractive rogues. This will drive the girls crazy: nature will be telling them to get out there and mate, but being prevented from doing so becomes a stressor in itself.

Inappropriate elimination is a very common sign of stress.

I'm surprised your vet didn't mention this when they went for their check-up.  :shocked:

If you spey them this behaviour may improve as they become less territorial and they won't have the urge to mate, so the stress will subside. Are you planning on breeding from them? You say they haven't had kittens, yet.

Offline DonI

• Kitten
Sudden behaviour change
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 04:59:49 AM »
I have two Khorats at home, sisters about 18 months old. Both litter trained perfectly and moved across to the cat geneie I installed last year without any problem. In fact they sit around and wait for the cleaning cycle to finish, before they use it. I think they liked it being nice and warm on the bottom.
Recently they have both started weeing and pooing around the place. >:( They still used the cat loo, but still relive themselves on blankets, books, furniture etc. One does it on the quiet, the other is does it quite openly in front of my wife.
both have been on heat but refused all suitors that were presented.(They have not had kittens yet).
My wife took them to the vets to check for infections and they got a clean bill of health. We have tried fellaway etc, but no luck.

The only clue I might have is that they don't do it when I am home.

Any ideas?

Link to CatChat