Author Topic: Jasmine is spraying in the house.......  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Jasmine is spraying in the house.......
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 13:53:03 PM »
You should be able to tell by the smell of his spray cos Tom cats have a very potent smell.

If he is not neutered its worth trying to track down his owners.

Hope Vickys suggestions help  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »
Not sure if he's neutered of not Gill and don't think I'd be able to get close enough to tell either way really  :scared:

That's the thing really, it's harder to manage when it's an external stressor as we obviously can't control what the other cat does  :-: But on the plus side it does mean that Meg is off the hook which is VERY good news  :)

Vicky's suggestions are basically focussed on trying to get her less stressed in the house so more hiding places, big cat trees that she can get high up on, different litter trays (open rather than hooded, and much larger in size), trying a different cat litter and getting some puzzle feeders for different rooms and more feeding/watering stations around the house etc. I need to keep a diary of spraying and report back every week.

It does feel a relief to know what is actually stressing her out though now!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 23:35:45 PM »
Sounds like Vicky has hit the nail on the head but wonder what her solution is?

I reckon Jasmine is too scared to spray outside cos of the other cat and comes in to spray instead.

Is that cat neutered?

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 20:47:02 PM »
I had a real breakthrough tonight on that cat front, which is made even stranger by what Vicky said about third party involvement today! I took a walk a bit later than usual this evening and when I was returning at about 8.15 I saw a cat sitting on our driveway. I thought it was Jasmine initially but as I got closer I realised it looked too large and when it saw me it started to run off and I realised it was Troy, a grey cat that that lives in the cul de sac behind us and had a swipe at Jasmine about a year ago. As I went to chase him off he stopped and sprayed urine all up the bushes next to my car!!! I'm wondering if that might be the problem that he is perhaps spraying urine around the outside of our house?

As Jasmine's spraying has got worse in the last few weeks I'm wondering if perhaps they've had some kind of run in or something has happened with him outside? Also Chris mentioned on the night this week when he brought Jasmine in and she came straight in and sprayed in the conservatory that he found her cowering in a bush out the front of the house as if something had frightened her? It is strange as Troy has always been around since we've lived here for the last 2 years so I'm not sure why they'd start having a problem now?

I literally hardly ever see him so it's bizarre after Vicky coming today that I brazenly see him spraying up our bushes!!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 12:47:18 PM »
good that she didn't think the problem was indoors, I hope she can come up with something!

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 12:38:36 PM »
Vicky has just left and she was very good I thought :) Her feeling is that Jas is actually spraying as she's worried about something going on outside the house (rather than Meg). We went round the house looking for spray sites and most of them are located near windows or external walls - conservatory, kitchen window, we also found spray on our bedroom windowsill and the spare bedroom window sill and the places in the TV room that have previously been sprayed are on the external walls. Apparently this is a classic sign of a threat outside.

We talked about how sometimes in the evenings she sees something when she's sitting on the window sill and then runs around like she's seen something. Also I think most of the spraying happens at night (I've never seen her do it during the day) and apparently cats have larger territories at night so it could be a cat we've never seen before that only shows up at night and worries her? I do remember Chris mentioning a huge white cat he saw in the garden a while ago that was so big he thought it was a dog but we've never seen it since!

She said she's probably getting grouchier with Meg as she's stressing about some other cat and it's lowering her tolerance for Meg. She observed them together and didn't think that relationship was that awful so that was good.

She's going to email over a full report and suggestions etc this afternoon :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 08:36:46 AM »
that is good, hope she can help

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 08:32:42 AM »
Vicky Halls has had a cancellation and now coming today  :wow:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 14:49:03 PM »
Sorry its not cracked and will be very interested in what Vicky Halls says  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 09:41:50 AM »
Arrrrrgh! I thought we'd cracked it with Jasmine spraying in the house but obviously not  :scared: Yesterday I found two patches of 'spray' up the landing wall and dining room and then she came in last night and sprayed up the brick work in the conservatory  :scared: She's spraying up vertical surfaces rather than squatting a weeing now so I think it's definately behavioural?

We've got a consult with Vicky Halls the cat behaviourist booked for the end of July but we're already using a Feliway plug in, I'm putting rescue remedy in her water, using a feliway spray and cleaning all the areas thoroughly with biological washing powder and surgical spirit etc so not sure what else we can do. I know it's Meg that's stressing her out but that's a factor I can't really alter  :scared: I just feel paranoid now and am watching her like a hawk all the time  :(

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 16:50:15 PM »
hope things are OK at the vets.
Just to say the trays should be in different places. If there is 'competition' for the trays having them next to each other will not solve this. Can you put one in another room?

just in case you didn't see it. have you tried moving one of the trays?

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 16:47:55 PM »
Back from the vets and she could find nothing wrong  :scared: Her bladder was pretty empty so she definately isn't blocked and her temp was normal and she couldn't 'feel' anything wrong at all  :scared:

She said it's not worth doing another sample as the last 2 have come back fine so she gave her an antibiotic injection and an anti inflammatory one just to cover her in case it is cystitis. She said obviously it can be caused by stress anyway so it's hard to know if it's medical/behavioural. She's given us some metacam to giver her at home for a few days as an anti inflamatory.

She said to see how she goes and monitor things. It doesn't really help that we're on hols for half term week so they're both going to the cattery but at least her and Meg are having seperate runs (but next door to each other) so she might actually find it more peaceful!

I've ordered some Feliway to try that again and am thinking maybe of going down the behaviour route with a referral.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 13:34:05 PM »
I think its quite unusual for girls to block but it does sound like she is from what she is doing and if she is its very urgent for her to be sorted very quick, so you will be there now and hope the vet can sort her out  :hug: :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 13:29:13 PM »
hope things are OK at the vets.
Just to say the trays should be in different places. If there is 'competition' for the trays having them next to each other will not solve this. Can you put one in another room?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 12:35:05 PM »
If they are squatting and nothing coming out then she is blocked and will need a catheter in to unblock her it is very painful, we had Wispa with one in February and he spent the night in the vets and came home with special biscuits and wet food for his condition, 5 months on he is fine and we now have another water fountain in the kitchen he loves, he didn't like the food but the others ate it and he is now fine but we do keep a watchful eye on him

He has the dubious title of having been the first blockage accolade here at the Clan cats :shocked:

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »
Have booked her a vets apointment for 1.30 as she's squatted in the tray twice this morning and there's nothing there when I checked it and then she's gone straight out and dug and squatted twice in the garden so I think there might be something up (although that's what happened last time and the urine sample came back fine).

Does anyone know if they can have cystitis and it doesn't show up on the urine test?

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:22:45 AM »
Sorry it is actually biological powder that I've used (don't know why I said non bio!). I also do just remove the soiled parts of the tray and only clean the whole thing out now and again so have got that covered.

I've used Feliway before but have ordered another refill and also a spray of it to see if that helps. We have 2 litter trays both in the utility room next to each other :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 09:00:40 AM »
Yes it's biological washing powder that's needed  followed by white spirit

http://www.caring-for-your-cat.co.uk/inappropriate_soiling_and_spraying.html

but have to say it didn't stop the habit for us.  I now use this to get rid of smell. 

http://www.xeria.co.uk/kolist45/1/Full%20Product%20List/26/RX66J.htm

We have two sprayers (both girls) and I've reached the stage when I cheer out loud if they've sprayed on easy to clean areas rather than carpet so let me know if when you solve the problem  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 23:46:26 PM »
Its late and I am tired but I think its Bio washing stuff you need to use............am doubting myself right now!

I would reclean and put a puppy pad down where she has sprayed and keep doing this where ever she goes.

I also would stop cleaning her tray so often and just remove the used litter as you are removing her smell.............that is unless she wont use them on that basis.

I agree I think it is behavorial and linked to Meg and if nothing works your vet could refer you to a behaviorist.

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
Jasmine is spraying in the house.......
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 20:12:36 PM »
Over the last few months Jasmine has had a few accidents in the house - weeing in the corner of the TV room and once in my bedroom - both times she's done it right in front of us  :scared:

I took her to the vets after the first two instances as I thought it might be cystitis and all the tests came back clear. I thought maybe I wasn't cleaning the litter trays out enough so do that once or twice a day religiously  :)

My OH has just caught her spraying up the wall of the TV room and when I've looked I can see other urine stain marks on the skirting board so she's obviously been doing it a while   :scared: I've cleaned the area with non biological washing powder but am worried now it's getting to be a habit. She's been out most of the day and has only been back in the house for 30 mins or so and both litter trays are clean :(

I'm guessing it's to do with the fact that Meg kitten arrived back in November and although they get on fairly well Meg does annoy Jas and she will hiss and growl at her and swipe her round the head on a daily basis but on the flip side they chase and wrestle and have good games together.

This is definately behavioural rather than medical but I'm just not sure how to deal with it?

Link to CatChat