Author Topic: Update..Nemo Ill kitten.  (Read 23183 times)

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Tipsy and Nemo
Re: Update..Nemo Ill kitten.
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2012, 20:07:02 PM »
Hi Sheila...I did laugh at the smack on the bottom (my hubby)..Yes I really felt like doing that to him and more when he told me...Ok ill do as you say and leave it another day..

Nemo was sick before it was brown it looked a bit like the paste I had given him earlier. He has been very quiet today and hasnt eaten very much.

Ill see how things go and if no improvement may have to take him to vet tomorrow..

Thanks so much for replying Sheila. Ill always keep you informed. So worried about Nemo really xxx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2012, 19:43:20 PM »
If he has worms, this may be causing the blood, so def finish the three days of Panacur before calling the vet again unless his general health goes downhill.

erhem  :smack: for your other half!

Glad he's not letting this get him down, as he seems to be a very loving little boy. He's lucky to have you.  :hug:

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2012, 17:45:51 PM »
Hi again,
Nemo just did a poo and it had blood in it a bit more than usual..Do you think its because of the medicine going through him? Also my husband was looking after him today and said he was eating alot of food Tipsy had left in the bowl  >:( honestly men, I cant trust him to look after the kitten for 5 mins.. Maybe him eating some of that food hasnt helped too..

I really dont know whether I should ring vet again xx

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2012, 12:01:04 PM »
Hi girls, thankyou for your replies.

Yes its a wee bit awkward with the paste as I dont really think he likes it but he is such a hungry little kitty he licks some than he walks away then he comes back for more and it does take a while to get down him but I did manage it and I will wait until this latest food has digested in his tum to give him the second dose.

Yes the worming treatment is panacur.. I sprinkle a wee bit over his food. I cant really give him anything apart from the id but he has absolutely no trouble in gulping it all down.

He is always on the lookout for food its as if he is ravenous. When we sit down at the table to eat he sits by us watching. I didnt think cats did this sort of thing only dogs (ive had dogs in the past) he watches every mouthful of food you take..honestly you would think I never fed him...so yes Gill maybe you are right about the rumbling tummy that maybe it has to do with hunger.

Yes I agree that atleast he is putting on a tiny bit of weight and tiny is better than none atall or loosing it isnt it.. I have to go back again next Friday to get Nemo weighed as the vet didnt want to wait until the following week to weigh him (he has appt for 2nd injection). The vet told me he sees alot of rspca kittens and they are mostly in better shape than Nemo!!! omg..but he did say he has seen really skinny kittens that have grown into big cats..so im hoping that is what will happen to Nemo too.

Yesterday he was so sweet at the vet as when he walked back into his wee basket he started kneeding on his blanket and he rubs his little mouth against it too..its as if he thinks its his mummy..bless little Nemo he is such a little darling boy.

Thankyou all again for your help. Nemo seems to be quite lively today but he is sleeping now and usually all the lip licking and swallowing business starts just after he wakes up from a sleep, so lets see what happens.
No blood in poo again today.
Ill keep you all updated. xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2012, 22:35:24 PM »
Protexin paste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Capsules would be so much easier for you cos the contents are tasteless and you just breeak open the capsule and sprinkle half on the food...........sigh

Yes Lupin was given loads of worming stuff too, I dont think he had any worms and made no difference but he didnt have a pot belly, so hope it will help/

However it sounds to me and I maybe so wrong that all the noises in his tummy are hunger. Lupin didnt have any noises but he was a real piggy, once his tummy got better he wasnt a piggy any more.

I am sure the vet is right and the foods are very similiar but they are not the same and cant remember what id stands for, ig, maybe its gi lol stands for Gastro Intestinal and it was the second special food that the vet tried him on. The first one Lupin didnt like very much and it didnt help.

I hope the vet has got closer this time, poor little Nemo. The food thing he is putting on weight, not a lot but on is so much better than losing it  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 22:17:32 PM »
aw poor Nemo, hope he feels better soon :Luv:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2012, 22:13:18 PM »
Glad they've dropped the three stools idea, Tashia.

Sounds like this latest vet is nearer the mark, to be honest. The Panacur granules are pretty much tasteless (I'm assuming Panacur?) but you might want to make double sure they get eaten by stirring in a few flakes of canned tuna to make his dinner extra delicious.

Please don't worry, the little guy will get through this. I think it's premature to be talking about blood tests as kittens of his age may show many of his mother's antibodies at this age, which may give you false positives and negatives.

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2012, 21:40:17 PM »
Sorry for late reply Ive had such a mad night, with children and cats......Well this time I saw a different vet he was very nice and helpful and gave Nemo a really good examination. He told me Nemo has put on 20 grams since last Thursday only...But I think 20 grams is ok atleast he isnt loosing weight hey? He said he cant really see anything wrong physically with Nemo but he has a pot belly so has given me some worming sachets again to put over his food and also I have to use the worming stuff on the skin..he said that maybe he was really infested with worms and parasites and that is what is causing all these problems but he isnt really sure He feels by giving him this second dose of worming will rule it all out... I also asked him Gill about the protexin (hope that is the name) and the IG food..he said that all these foods are very simular and gentle on the guts so to leave him on hills id but to give the protexin a go and see what happens. So I have this paste to give Nemo for 3 days. 

Im hoping all this will settle the tummy, otherwise the vet said the next thing will be blood tests..he said that they have ruled out alot of things so far...Im so worried for my little boy I pray that over the next few days with the worming etc., he will be better..Thankyou all for your concern Ill let you know how he is tomorrow...Tasia xxx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2012, 18:47:30 PM »

How did you get on at the vet Tasia?

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2012, 16:40:12 PM »
Poor little guy :( It sounds like maybe he does have a bug overgrowing in the bowel and maybe some antibiotics will sort that out. Long term bacterial overgrowth can damage the bowel wall and stop them absorbing their food properly which may explain his slow growth. I really hope he can get something to help him tonight xx
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2012, 16:05:50 PM »
Hoping its a bit of sour stomach, I think this can be quite common in cats. It may also be a food allergy or intolerance, so take a pack of his usual food with you for vet's info. Good luck.

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2012, 15:12:17 PM »
Thankyou girls for telling me about your kitties miaowws all so different. I guess thinking about it Tipsy doesnt always sound the same too.

Sadly I have to take Nemo to the vet. He really doesnt seem too well. He woke up and was swallowing hard and his stomach was making so many noises he looked really uncomfortable and was miaowing.. It really frightened me. I rang the vet and have made appointment for today at 5. Poor little Nemo I hope he is going to be ok. Ill let you all know what the vet says. xx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2012, 14:29:41 PM »
My Beau was the "Flora" cat until he was nearly two - if you remember the Flora advert where the hubby was outside the shop window, soundlessly mouthing "Flora" to his wife inside, likewise Beau's mouth opened but no sound came out  :shy: Nowadays he has a few noises, mainly "Ewwo" loudly at 4am and "ackack" when he wants strokes. He also swallows and burps, and sneezes, but he's OK and has done this all his 14 years.

Polly has a little scratchy "mwack mwack" noise, or a single note, a perfect high C which she saves for the fridge door.

Sam has a full orchestra of sounds, most of which mimic human words, mainly "Ewwo", "Waaah", "Mumum" and "me-out-now"

Sly says "PpppprrrriiiiiNG!"

Theo shouts "YOW!"

Chubby purrs like a train, but then chokes on his own dribble.

All different, all normal  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2012, 11:28:51 AM »
 :evillaugh:  We do, we do - we often talk poo.   ;)

Paddy used to have a meow like a rusty hinge.  Mac's was the oddest little "Squeeewheeeewheeeee!".  Ross has quite a loud Wrrrreeeow.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2012, 11:27:42 AM »
thats good news, we do get excited about poo here sadly lol!

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »
Thanks so much Dawn...Nemo did a wee poo and it had no blood in it...so happy..xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
I've four cats and each of them make different sounds from no sound at all to strangled crow sound, I wouldn't worry  :hug:

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 23:06:52 PM »
Thankyou Peggy and Gill...xx

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 18:06:00 PM »
I think cats have a range of meows depending on the circumstances  I always recognise the one which says  "! am bringing you a little present"!!!    Seriously I am sure it is noting to worry about   I hope Nemo's other problem is sorted soon  He sounds a lovely little boy
Sending  :hug:  :hug: to you both

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 17:14:38 PM »
Sorry dont know about the meow but sure he is OK  :hug:

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 16:35:01 PM »
Hi girls,

Thankyou all for your advice and your help I really really appreciate it. Im with a vet called blythewood. They have only a few practices. My vet does seem very nice and understanding so ill see what happens when I see him next and see how he is when I take my piece of paper down with the questions on. Last time I did this he smiled and was very nice about it so I think he probably is quite approachable. If I dont feel he is doing a good job than I will go elsewhere. Actually Ive got a local cat rescue just down the road here so Im going to email them now for their advice on vets around here..

I am worried for Nemo as he is the most perfect little kitten you could ever want he runs up to you for cuddles and looks into your eyes he is so amazing and all I want is for him to be well. But if that means im going to have to get second opinions than I will.

Nemo seems bit quiet today he tends to sleep alot during the day but comes more alive in the evening when we are all tired. But we still play with him to try to wear him out for the night.

Thankyou all again for your help. Im still on poo watch obviously and will let you know how things go.

Just one more thing I would like to ask sometimes Nemos miaoww sounds a bit strange like he has a cold or something than it goes back to normal again.  Im probably just going over the top now with everything he does.
Sorry if that last question sounds silly..xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 14:36:50 PM »
Vets are either so good , middling or pretty useless.

My current vets are part of a practice which is spread out over my part of Wales and they are brilliant. But as often is the case not every vet of theres is good and in the two years that Napoleon was looked after I met  a  number of them and even complained toi my normal vet about at least one of the others, who was terrible.

They will not criticise one of te others but what this one did was so serious ands my vet who is one of the partners said he would speak to the senior vet and ask him to talk to the bad one.

Also had problems with a couple of others who just didnt have a clue and this is one advantage of  having a number of vets available.

Up to this time I would have agreed with Sue and gone for a smaller imdependant practise as long as the vet was someone I could talk to and they listened.

Tasia I am sure we are worrying you but please dont be worried, make a list of questions and ask your vet to ring you. If you dont get satisfaction go for a second opinion but I am 99% sure that Nemo is OK and just needs to get his tummy settled and this could take a couple of months.

I was told a bit of red blood no problem cos that is new but black blood more serious. I was really given an option for tests and came close a number of times but in the end with maybe more luck than judgement, Lupins tummy became solid and blood free and trail an error eventually we got him OK. The total time seemed like forever and reckon it took about 5-6 months overall.

He is now stealing food that he fancies and doing well.

Sending lots of cuddles to Nemo and if he is chasing around like a kitten then this is a sign he is not feeling ill  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 14:17:21 PM »

Well explained, Sheila.   I wouldn't part with our vet for the world.  He may be brusque and matter-of-fact, but he's proved his worth in that regard.   

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 14:06:45 PM »
Same here, my vet told me he COULD spend weeks testing for the cause, or he COULD just treat for the most common causes: acid stomach and bacterial gut infection. Hence the Covenia jab, which cost me about £40 I think as opposed to £100s for tests, and worked a treat.

I prefer this type of approach, yes, we may never find out what caused it but if the vet is Animal focussed as opposed to Money oriented (and believe me I've seen more than my gutfull of the latter!) and they have the experience to call the shot, and the treatment works in 90% of the cases, then it benefits everyone.

Not being funny, here but many of us on Purrs have seen or know of un-worthy vets who think nothing of stringing out a diagnosis to max out on profit (regardless of whether the cat is insured!)

I'd try another vet practice, personally, for a second opinion. I'd stay clear of the big chain practices (the one here beginning with G springs to mind  >:( ) and go for one that's recommended by your local cat rescue as being reliable and trustworthy. The new vet will need to get the treatment history from your old vet but this is never anything other than professional completeness, and not an attempt to undermine you as the owner, so don't let this put you off getting a second opinion from another practise, OK?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 13:47:54 PM »
I really recommend that you speak to the vet not a nurse before doing this as it goes against what my vet and Dawns vet say about the life of the samples

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 13:36:23 PM »
Hi gill, It was actually the nurse that I spoke to. She told me to collect 3 days worth of samples yesterday, today and tomorrow and take them down (only if they have blood in them). She said if they send off 3 samples they have more chance of finding parasites if Nemo has any...I will mention all what you have told me when I see the vet if it is tomorrow...(hope not) or my next appointment which is week after next. If Nemo tummy and lip licking is still going on Ill write down all the things you have suggested and see what vet says..Thankyou so much xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 13:27:10 PM »
i know you are really worried about nemo but personally i think the tests are just a waste of money and as dawn says there little tums seem to get aggrevated very easily.

the key to this seems to be to get there tummys settled and think if you havent you need to ask you ve.t about protexin also.

as far as sam[ples are concerned dawn is right, i was told that the ssample had to go there withing 24 hrs but as close to being produced as possible. so 3 samples equal three trips and three seperate tests and three costs, i think you vet is playing you for a bit of a patsy tbh.

i dont see why he needs 3 seperate samples, did he explain why?

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 13:22:38 PM »
Also there was never alot of blood just a tiny wee bit...What you said about Lupin being starving hungry that is exactly how little Nemo is like, he goes mad for his food..he kind of turns into a little ferral terror..honestly you would think I never fed him. Than he goes to sleep and when he wakes up the lip licking and swallowing thing starts just like he is about to be sick..after a few minutes of this he is fine again...It doesnt happen everytime but last couple of days we have been noticing it again..xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 13:19:49 PM »
no she didn't retch it was just horrible poo and gurgling stomach - I think was Gill says is right, I took Oscar once after seeing blood in his poo, the vet said that their stomachs are quite easily aggravated obviously you should ignore it but shouldn't worry too much either

I would check as well as the others have said about the samples  I made the mistake of taking tillys first on in on a friday afternoon and he threw it in the bin because he knew it wouldn't get dealt with over the weekend

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 13:17:28 PM »
Hi Gill maybe you are right there. Its something Ill have to ask my vet about if things dont improve with Nemo..xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 13:13:51 PM »
my vet said if the blood was red then nothing to worry about..............well as long as its not a lot.

we were heading towards tests but never got there cos intestinal gastrial food plus protexin stopped all the probs, yes it was ig food that lupin had not id.

he was also starving hungry but once his tummy got settled his appetite reduced to normal.

obviously nemo is not on kitten food so maybe isnt getting enough of the right kind of kitten food?

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 13:12:55 PM »
Hi Dawn oh god really...im so glad your little one is now ok..Yes its so worrying isnt it I keep googling things too and that doesnt help. I cant seem to find anyone that has all these symptoms...Did your cat retch too after eating as Nemo went through a phase of retching after eating but that did stop for a while. When he started doing it again last night my heart went in my mouth. x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 13:00:13 PM »
it is horrible, I had this with tilly she was tested for everything and nothing could be found but in the end three months on royal canin prescription food settled her down

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »
Hi Girls,

Just to let you know that last night I was so worried about little Nemo as he started the swallowing lip licking thing again, than all of a sudden let out a yowl..I was a bit panicked so was my daughter, but he was ok after and went to sleep he wasnt sick or anything. One thing we have noticed is that his tummy makes alot of noises, rumbling and stuff...(Sounds like world war 3)..its like he is full of gas. He slept well all night and woke with an amazing appetite this morning, although tummy is still gurgling...Anyway the good news is that he just did a nice brown normal poo...no blood atall...Honestly I really dont know if im coming or going with him. Anyway keeping my fingers xd that it continues....Ill keep you updated and thanks for your support..xx

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 22:53:38 PM »
Will do..Thanks Sheila xx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 20:28:04 PM »
Now, you might want to check with the vet when they actually want these samples in, because the lab will be closed over the bank holidays, so your carefully collected three samples may actually be useless by next Wednesday when the lab rats are back at work.  :doh:

If the samples arrive on Friday they will sit in the postbox all week-end. Your vet may say "Oh yeah, good point" and suggest you start taking the samples on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday morning so they can be sent fresh to the lab.  :shocked:

Edit : Aaahaaa great minds, Souffle, your post pipped mine!

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 20:27:42 PM »
Thankyou I will. Nemo is always going around nibbling at bits and pieces on the floor he is like a tiny hoover...xx

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 20:21:13 PM »
Hope it keeps OK as this is the Jubilee weekend and the labs may not have many staff on till next Wednesday! Maybe ask the vet about that just in case it is a waste of poo collecting duties!
Hope it settles soon. He may have been nibbling something when you were not looking and caused bowel inflammation.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Tasia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 20:01:18 PM »
Thankyou Sue XX

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 19:36:41 PM »

Well 3 days of poo should give the vet something to get his teeth into (metaphorically....)  :shify:

A hug for you and Nemo  :hug:

Link to CatChat