Author Topic: Treating ringworm in cats  (Read 12352 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Treating ringworm in cats
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 22:36:59 PM »
What a turnaround in his life eh, just fabulous :)

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
Re: Treating ringworm in cats
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 22:25:00 PM »
Just to update on Woody now (Don't think the spam below qualifies)
Well, as soon as the Intrafungal treatment was finished, he came home to me as a foster for 2 weeks.......and never left!
I used a Tight Regulation protocol designed by an American vet (www.diabeticcatcare.com), and after 10 weeks of insulin therapy he went into remission.
Woody ....who lived outside without an owner for many many years and as an un-neutered tomcat fought daily to defend his territory, is now a happy lap cat who barely enters into my garden.
Thank you to the Scratching Post Cat Rescue for giving this lovely boy a second chance when he seemed such a hopeless case.

Offline sheilmolson

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 08:10:54 AM »
Well if your pet is suffering from ringworm then you will have to keep in mind some basic points before taking it to veterinary doctor. The first and foremost thing is most of the ringworm infections spread rapidly through pets only so you will have to apply special cremes available in the market. Bathe your pet regularly and apply the derma products to your pet. Regular checkup of your pet should be done who is suffering from ringworm.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:44:24 AM by Rosella moggy, Reason: Ringworm treatment link removed as not cat related and I suspect this may be advertising »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 18:25:01 PM »
I never did anythinhg when Kocka had it........didnt know any better and just painted the stuff on her like vet said and it went and that was that!

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 16:54:24 PM »
just be aware its very difficult to kill ringworm spores.      So shoes, clothes, soft furnishings etc will carry on harbouring live spores even after a cat may be clear.    Took me six months to be clear of it when I unwittingly bought a persian kitten into the house with it many years ago.  My vet thought six months was pretty good to get rid of it given that at the time I had 7 persians.       They all had to be shaved poor things  :(.

This is what worries me. If he did not have ringworm I would have brought him home with me to get him started on the insulin. BUT he would have to be kept in isolation in my spare bedroom and I would never feel safe that the room was not infected with the ringworm! As it is I come home form the rescue and put all my clothes and shoes straight in to the washing machine with Napisan....and I dont even know if that is enough!

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 14:13:51 PM »
just be aware its very difficult to kill ringworm spores.      So shoes, clothes, soft furnishings etc will carry on harbouring live spores even after a cat may be clear.    Took me six months to be clear of it when I unwittingly bought a persian kitten into the house with it many years ago.  My vet thought six months was pretty good to get rid of it given that at the time I had 7 persians.       They all had to be shaved poor things  :(.

Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 14:05:06 PM »
Hi, ringworm is highly contageous, but not deadly. I had a bout of ringworm with my clan a few years ago. Not all of my cats (I had 10 at the time) caught it, though, and some had it worse than others. It was treated with Intrafungal with no side effects and it cleared up with the treatment. Some of my cats are FIV+ and they cleared up just fine too. The only contraindication I am aware of is with old cats as it can affect the kidneys. A blood test to check on kidney function in an elderly or at risk cat might be advisable.   Intrafungal is quite expensive (around £40-50 a pop) so with a multi cat household or a rescue situation it is something to avoid. With small patches a topical treatment such as Surolan may be enough to treat it but anything more extensive then Intrafungal is the best option. Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 16:11:34 PM by moira »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 20:47:21 PM »
How would the Daktarin cream work....I mean, you cant apply it to the whole cat can you??? ;) ;) Is there a wash that could be used to speed up the clearing process?

You just apply to affected area. As for speeding things up have patience it will be gone in no time.. Daktarin is actually an anti fungal cream,believe its good for athletes foot too.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 20:13:41 PM »
Usaually the cat only has small patches or patch of rinfworm and you would just put it on where the infection was...............unless he is so badly infected?

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 19:16:45 PM »
How would the Daktarin cream work....I mean, you cant apply it to the whole cat can you??? ;) ;) Is there a wash that could be used to speed up the clearing process?

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 19:11:35 PM »
Thanks for speedy answers. Now if only we had some sunshine......
I know in my heart that I cannot safely foster him, but he has just been DX with the diabetes so insulin therapy has not been started. It would/will be very hard to get him on a good schedule of treatment for the FD while in a rescue situation, he really needs to be in a foster home to give him a chance.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 18:56:21 PM »
Hi Paddypaws best advice do not put your cats or yourself at risk,ringworn doesnt hurt the cat but is a highly contagious inconvience. I have not used the intrafungal medication but do know that it makes poor puss feel awful.Previously they used a drug called Grisofulvin which was terrible,horrendous side effects,I took in a poor pregnant cat who had taken it,unprescribed and her kittens were born horribly deformed for this reason I vowed to use topical meds if I took in anything with ringworm.
Boots and bigger chemists sell a human anti fungal cream,its around £6 tube and totally safe for cats, it works a treat, the other thing which will help is sunshine. oops forgot to put name of cream hence moderation,its called DAKTARIN GOLD
The day will soon come when its safe to give this lad a big cuddle, and on the bright side he is safe and receiving treatment.
Incidentally my first rescue cat had ringworm and needed isolation :hug:,until then I was a dog fosterer. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 18:58:32 PM by Teresa Pawcats »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 18:26:50 PM »
I dont think there should be any sides efects but maybe wrong.

Kocka my first cat had it and could not be hand medicated and was given some stuff to paint on her and it worked very well.

I hope they have his diabetes under contraol cos that would have bad side effects if not.......what effects does he have.

While he has ringworm you could catch it and other cats cos its very infectious and no you wouldnt be able to treat people.

Wow I could use a massage threapist!

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
Treating ringworm in cats
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 18:22:16 PM »
Can anyone with experience tell me a little more about how to treat ringworm in cats? there is a cat at the rescue I visit who has just been diagnosed with diabetes and I would like to be able to help him, maybe even foster him, to help out. the issue is that he has ringworm and I just cannot risk my own 6 cats picking it up, or catching it myself as I think it would stop me being able to work ( massage therapist! )
He has had two weeks treatment with an oral drug called Intrafungal and they say he needs a 6 week course. The side effects sound horrible and he does not look at all well, whether that is the meds, or the diabetes or being stuck in the centre ( lovely as they all are there )

Link to CatChat