Author Topic: A scare with Meg - rushed off to the vets......  (Read 8336 times)

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
Re: A scare with Meg - rushed off to the vets......
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 10:23:45 AM »
Thansk for all the replies - Meg's paw is back to normal size this morning so I've let her outside as she was desperate to get out through the catflap when I woke up :)

I might head to Boots later to see if I can get some Piriton to keep in for future emergencies - I know I've got some anti-histamines in the cupboard that I use for hayfever so I'll check what they are and also try and find out from the vets what they gave her yesterday. I know I had to sign a form as the antihistamines aren't licensed for animal use but I'm not sure what dose they gave her.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 00:18:15 AM »
Healing headkisses for Meg's poorly paw :care: It's a shock when it happens the first time but it will have gone down by the morning  :hug:

Do check with the vet but my vet advised half a Piriton tablet (2mg dosage) per adult cat but as Meg is just a youngster she may need a lesser dosage. Riley is obsessed with getting stung and gets the 'comedy paw' like Meg,  I took him to the vet the first time as I was so worried but now he just has his half Piriton and he's fine by the morning. He's been stung so many times he's worked his way through a whole box of Piriton!  Thankfully he's only ever been stung on the paws (repeatedly!) but it can be so dangerous if they're stung on the throat or in the mouth. Someone on here lost their cat after she had been stung in the throat  :(

Hope the heart murmur is a low grade one and nothing to be too concerned about  :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 15:58:32 PM »
aw poor baby.    Hope her paw is better soon.    I always keep some piriton in the house just in case!
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 15:54:48 PM »
poor meg :hug: am sure she will be fine, and hopefully has learnt her lesson!

i too have heard you can give cats piriton, so ask the vet. not sure about cats, but loads of us hoomans have them and they are nothing to worry. about
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 14:54:52 PM »
She obviously pounced on one and it retaliated !

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 14:49:47 PM »
This is a pic that I snapped in the waiting room to show the size of it - I just keep thinking what on earth would have happened if that swelling was in her mouth/throat  :scared:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 14:40:00 PM »
i am sure meg will be fine especially if shr is running around chasing things  :hug: :hug:

afraid lupin is obsessed by buzzy flying things too.

heart murmours come in various levels and next time you speak to you ver ask which level, think 1 is the lowest and probably nothing to worry about  :hug: :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 14:24:50 PM »
Don't worry to much, they have to learn (says she who has been watching over Mac and Pecan who have been hypnotically drawn to buzzing stripey things in the garden!) :hug:

Check with the vet, but you can give cats human meds. I think last time I spoke to a vet a quarter tablet of piratin can be administered and it may be handy to have some in.

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
A scare with Meg - rushed off to the vets......
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 13:59:25 PM »
Just had a right scare with Meg kitten and had to rush her to the vets  :scared: She's been obsessed with catching flies the last few weeks and keeps bringing bluebottles in but this morning she appeared in the kitchen with her right paw about 10 times the size of her left one  :o I'm assuming she'd been stung so rushed her to the vets - they've given her antihistamines, steroids and antibiotics and said they've have kept her if it was a weekday but as it's the weekend it's a skeleton staff so we can probably monitor her more closley at home.

Just got to watch for the swelling spreading further than up her leg (which is double the width of her other leg now) and monitor her breathing. She doesn't seem impeded by it and is walking fine and the first thing she did was run into the conservatory and try and chase a wasp that had got in  :o

Just really worried for the future as she obviously has a severe reaction to stings and I keep thinking what if she'd chewed it (which she often does) and it was her face  :o There's nothing I can do to stop her though  :(

The vet also picked up that she has a heart mumour too so not sure what the implications of that are as I was a bit too much in panic mode to think about it all properly at the time :(

Link to CatChat