Author Topic: Holiday advice please  (Read 3660 times)

Offline sam kent (thomas_kitten)

• Adult Cat
  • Do my ears look big in this?
  • Slave to: Thomas & Harry
Re: Holiday advice please
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 21:44:54 PM »
On this occasion, it's probably a good idea to keep him in so you know where he is.  I would suggest you ask your neighbour to pop in a few times before you go and let Bert see him/her the last few times, just so as Bert gets used to the idea that this person is accepted by you. My vets asks that we notify them if we are going away so they know we are happy for treatment in our absence and also that we would be happy with a home call out if someone couldn't catch our one of our cats - I know this rarely happens, but the vet did have to be called last year and it made things so much easier. 

Cats can be funny things so try not to worry.  We usually have the same people look after ours and generally they have to go looking in the house/garden twice a day to make sure they seem okay.  Last year though we had to ask someone different for a couple of days and Lottie came straight down and started eating the food at our neighbour's feet.

This ^^

Definitely keep him in.  Exchange numbers vet/cat sitter/you. Make sure the sitter/cat meet a few times before you go - cats are very individual creatures like humans. The cat sitter needs to know what's normal behavious for your cat otherwise they won't necessarily know if anything's wrong and they need to take him to the vet.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 19:22:35 PM »
I've never come back to any more mayhem than normal, although in saying that mine don't go out freely during the day (only when I'm in and it's light) so enforced holiday confinement is not such a shock to them!

Has Bert got a Da Bird / Da Mouse? I know you said he is nervous but mine are so addicted to Da Mouse that they would play with it even if it was a dog waving it around for them so if Bert was tempted into a 5 minute play session each day it will help burn off his outdoor energy.

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 11:03:46 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies, I will definitely be keeping him in.
Those of you that have done the same, have you come back to find your sofa ripped to shreds? :-: I just worry that his mad half hours will be even worse if he's not getting outside, he loves climbing and scratching on the trees usually.

Thanks again

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 22:41:45 PM »
Not sure if you have had your holiday yet but I certainly agree he needs to be kept in as you don't have a cat flap however ..............

I would also suggest you tell your neighbour to make sure he/she waggles a foot through the door as they enter to try and ensure no escapes........... I've been doing that for nigh on 20 years now in an effort to discourage the cats from getting to the front garden ............. it mainly works  :innocent:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 01:19:16 AM »
I recommend the same as all here - he may not like it, but the aternative he would hate even more! I always try to keep mine in (unless my brother actually stays at my house) because i would only worry incase he got lost.
I once had a friend look after mine when i took a trip to see my dad in china. He informed me he hadnt seen Tazi for about 4 days. I though my heart had been ripped out. I needed to get home, I couldnt get answers as the time difference meant i sat until late on a night before anyone in england answered me. It turns out he was sleeping in the garden...as usual in the summer. he just didnt look!!  :-[
 :)
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 14:10:47 PM »
On this occasion, it's probably a good idea to keep him in so you know where he is.  I would suggest you ask your neighbour to pop in a few times before you go and let Bert see him/her the last few times, just so as Bert gets used to the idea that this person is accepted by you.  My vets asks that we notify them if we are going away so they know we are happy for treatment in our absence and also that we would be happy with a home call out if someone couldn't catch our one of our cats - I know this rarely happens, but the vet did have to be called last year and it made things so much easier. 

Cats can be funny things so try not to worry.  We usually have the same people look after ours and generally they have to go looking in the house/garden twice a day to make sure they seem okay.  Last year though we had to ask someone different for a couple of days and Lottie came straight down and started eating the food at our neighbour's feet.

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Butch and Sundance
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 12:00:53 PM »
We're fortunate enough to have cat loving friends nearby who are happy to stay but my friends really recommend www.catcarelondon.com who come to your house, look after (feed, play with, clean litter tray, etc) your cats, turn on and off lights, collect post, etc.  They also do a live-in service.  Might be worth a look?

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 21:29:01 PM »
I agree with keeping him in too. I went on holiday last year, and my brother came round to feed our older cat and the rabbit, but for peace of mind I booked Sylvie into a cattery, she is very nervous, but it was highly recommended, my friend lives next door, and when I went to pick her up, she was nuzzling the cattery owners face, she could tell he was a cat lover :Luv:. This is a cat who shoots thru the catflap every time the doorbell goes :scared: if she hadnt been there, I would have worried every day if she was alright :doh:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 21:09:21 PM »
I would keep him in and add a couple of extra litter trays and keep him in and leave a radio on in his safe room on something soft and low - ours are partial to Jazz FM and their safe place is in our bedroom

We have a pet sitter for the cats and the dogs go to Doggy borstal a.k.a the kennels
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 21:06:00 PM »
Thank you both.  :hug: :Luv2:
Gill, I didn't really want to go away for this reason, but it's been a pretty tough year with one thing and another, and my family have convinced me that a break will do me good.
Tiggy's Mum, I thought the same about it being more than he would have in a cattery, I think I'd rather he was in a mood for being kept in than risk him running off. If I could take him to Cornwall with me I would! :Luv2:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 20:52:48 PM »
I would definitely keep him in, if he was in a cattery he would be kept in but instead he will have the whole run of his house which are familiar surroundings to him. If he feels a bit nervous about her coming in to feed him and is let out as normal he might not come back and could end up getting lost. He'll be absolutely fine with the run of the house, I promise  :hug:

My cats are very affectionate and loving with me but will hide if new people come round. I go on holiday every year and although they may hide when the petsitter (whether that be a proper petsitter or a family member) comes round to feed them they are alive, well fed, healthy and very pleased to see me when I get back  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 20:46:37 PM »
Purrrrrrrrsonally I dont think you should go away!

But if you have to he definately should be kept inside but he may never forgive you.

Cats like this are very twitchy and I have one who is scared of all other people and another who has just let me stroke her after being here over 6 years.

Luckily Misa forgives me but they had real probs with him at the vets.

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
Holiday advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 20:40:31 PM »
Hi there, I'm looking for some more sensible advice from people who won't think I'm mad.

After a year our nervous rescue Bert has finally started to let us stroke him, and I now have to tear him away from my lap. We've just booked a week away in the summer and we're planning to ask a neighbour to come and feed him/empty litter tray. The problem is he is still scared of everyone except my husband and I, and we don't have a catflap. Should I ask the lady to let him in and out as he is used to now (I'm worried about him not coming in for her) or should he be kept in for the week? He won't like this but at least he'll be safe.
Any experience of this?
Thanks

Link to CatChat