Author Topic: Puzzled by behaviour  (Read 2089 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: Puzzled by behaviour
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 02:12:16 AM »
Good point Liz!
My Nan had a cat who broke her tail (we suspect from a car injury) and initially was in pain, couldnt lift the tail up etc and once healed it did swish (she was grumpy old girl so was most pleased she got to swish it  :evillaugh:) - which was a good thing as the vet said if she didnt regain some control/feeling it may have to come off because of the danger of it becoming caught etc from being dragged around. Happily like your fella Master Monty, she got the movement back. She had lovely longhaired fluffy tail too!!
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:39:39 AM »
Unless like our Master Monty you have a broken tail - happened before he arrived with us and his goes out to the side and is permanantly on the go and he is a happy wee soul - vet advises nothing wrong with tail apart from it can go both ways :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »
Tail twitching usually indicates the cat is feeling a tiny bit agitated if it's done quickly. Slower it's more a "I'm not really digging this" kind of signal. ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 03:36:42 AM »
cats as well will always prefer head, ear and chin rubs. It is where they are most sensitive for pleasure. Cats always rub heads even with each other or sniff noses etc... it is the safest place to stroke and the cats enjoy it more cos they can smell you too. Give it a whirl - I may be wrong, but it would be interesting to see if my observation on Nuggie for my injury prevention plan is just suited to him or general theory lol
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 03:29:08 AM »
i will agree with Gill here and say it is because she doesnt like it. Most cats have somewhere that they dont want you to touch for any length of time. If you stroke a cat from head to tail and see the back ripple it is because it irritates and generally the cat will allow this to happen until it just darn right gets on their nerves! lol
My older cat will only allow certain areas (mainly chest & chin upwards) to be stroked at length, my younger cat will happily allow you to stroke his belly (as well as head area) but has "ripple back" - not sure about the tale but it could be connected with the stress the cat feels when people touch or continuely touch her hind quarters. Whereas my lad would think nothing of simply ripping your hand to shreds to relieve his stress at my invading behaviour  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
Worth a try and the tail might not get as much attention??
I only know this after several hand rippings and i have to monitor mines temperament quickly and change areas or stop altogether. It works. He's happy - i get a few less strokes than i want but after 10years my hand is still a hand and not a bloodied worn down stump  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
  • Slave to: Bubz
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 14:26:55 PM »
Hi Gill,

When she had her pre-Christmas jabs, I asked the vet about the tail nibbling and the vet said that it would probably pass - which mainly it has... Bubz isnt as obsessed with it as she was in December.

Helen
Helen A (mainly on behalf of Bubz)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 14:19:43 PM »
Sorry no idea but could be she doesnt like being stroked there?

If you are really worried I would get her checked out by a vet for the tail nibbling.

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
  • Slave to: Bubz
Puzzled by behaviour
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 13:37:14 PM »
Hi,

I have a connundrum. Just recently Bubz has been lying on my lap and I have noticed that when I stroke her left back 'thigh' her tail flicks vigorously. What is she saying? Also she'll nibble vigorously at the end of her tail as if there's something iritating her there.

Helen
Helen A (mainly on behalf of Bubz)

Link to CatChat