Author Topic: Help with feral cat  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Help with feral cat
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 12:39:51 PM »
If digging the garden up is an issue then compost works just as well and as he starts using the box then you can add your choice of litter bit by bit to the compost until its the litter you want him you use

As someone who uses 6 different types of litter at the Clan it maybe they don't like your choice, I use 2 types of clumping clay, paper litter, Wood pellet, PAH multi use cat litter and White granules :shocked:

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 11:19:56 AM »
When I had problems with Fred peeing someone suggested putting soil from the garden in his tray.  If he starts using that, the idea would be to slowly add normal litter ....

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »
Thanks everyone I've passed on all your advice. I think the main problem is that that he's not using his litter box. I'll suggest she try ripped up paper. I think maybe she should shut him in a cage for a few days with his litter tray and food, do you think that would be a good idea? Apparently she found blood on the window where he'd damaged his claws trying to get out. Poor thing. I know the ferals at CHAT get kept in a run until they find a home or are let out at the sanctuary. So if she takes him to a rescue he'll be no better off.     

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 06:14:41 AM »
Pop a cat carrier in the bathroom with a blanket inside, he'll quickly make this his bed and you can scoop him up easily when it's vet time and move him around the house when you need to.

Ask the vet if they can help with the fees for neutering as he's a stray.

Defo get the Zylkene going, it's worked wonders here on my bunch.

My Chubby ia an FIV +ve feral who took two years to learn to trust me, but he's now a proper little cuddlebum. His thread is on here. http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,36495.40.html
Once he'd been neutered we kept him in the bathroom with an open carrier as his bed for two weeks, then he was allowed outside (he had already mastered the cat flap so could come and go as he pleased) and he did come back for his dinner that first day he was allowed out. He took up his permanent position under our bed and only showed downstairs for meals, when he would skulk about under the table and ran like hell whenever I made a move towards him, but he quickly learned where his meals were coming from so always came back indoors.

Eventually he learned to stop running away and I found his weakness for Dreamies, and his liking for being combed on top of his head. After that it was just a matter of time before he would let me groom his back, then chest and finally his tail end.

He's still worried about people moving around and still prefers to feed under the table, but is happy to be cuddled, groomed and picked up in the bedroom where he feels safe.

I hope you manage to get this little man sorted out - it sounds like he's already adopted you so it's not cruel to keep him penned up for a few short weeks when he will have a wonderful life with you afterwards.  :hug:

It may also help him to have the TV on when he's alone in the house to get used to a background noise.

By the way, he'll smell much better once he's neutered too  :sick:

As for weeing everywhere, Chubby hates cat litter so I used ripped up newspapers in his litter tray instead. It's messy but gets them used to using a tray.

I will say I was helped more by the folk on this site than anywhere else, so do get your friend to join Purrs too.  :grouphug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 16:38:55 PM »
I agree that in the situation you've described a pen is probably unnecessary. If your friend is spending quite a bit of time with him, he might soon adjust to being a pet provided she doesn't frighten him but just sits in the same room doing her own thing (reading, watching tv etc).

As to her mother's reservations: feral cats live an average of only ten miserable years, scrounging for food. Domestic cats live much longer and are generally healthier, having a human keeping an eye on their welfare. As to the stress created by the situation with the other two cats (this may sound harsh), cancer generally kills cats quickly, and your friend and her mother will be helped, emotionally, if there is another cat to care for, especially a demanding one.  :hug:

There's no quick fix to taming ferals, it takes time and patience but is very rewarding. He may or may not be cuddly, but they'll know they've done one cat a huge favour, though he may not realise this now.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 13:34:10 PM »
Loose he can hide and have little interaction with you in a covered crate he can get used to noises and you feeding him and playing, I get to the point where they think of the crate as their safe place with a hooded bed and the door open astime goes on, this can't be rushed - after 20 years of ferals and having so many living with us ranging from nice to nasty - still love you Blue I have in my downstairs study a kitten pen with the door open in there and Blue can be found in there and so can several others at differing times it does however cause the dogs problems when their crates in our lounge are filled with cats when they want to use them :shocked: :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 13:21:05 PM »
No I dont think he should be caged now  :hug:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 09:59:57 AM »
Thanks Hippykitty

He is in a spare room with an en suite bathroom, do you think he would still be better in a cage rather than loose? He spends most of his time in the bathroom but has come out into the bedroom. My friend has been spending quite a bit of time in the bedroom so he will get used to her.

I think they will keep him yes although it's difficult as her Mum's not sure it's the best situation for the cat. Their two other cats are ill at the moment they both have cancer so they are having to medicate both of them as well. So I think it's pretty stressful. She really loves animals though, in fact I met her through working at an animal charity and I know she will do her best for him whatever that turns out to be.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 04:05:24 AM »
Is there a spare bedroom they can keep him in? Liz's idea about a pen is great, but they'll need to put it in a quiet or unused room. If this isn't possible, perhaps put it in the sitting room but tell them not to approach him apart from to feed him and change trays. This way he may quickly become used to the household (I'm hoping they intend to keep him?).

As to whether adult ferals can become housepets: in my experience the degree to which ferals tame varies. I have six, all ex-feral, strangely the ones which came as older cats (6mths and approx 6 years or more) have tamed better than those who came as kittens - the ones who were kitties relax in my company but jump if I touch them, whereas I can make a fuss of two of the ones who came older, the other is the mother of the kittens and has that look of knowing she's better off as a domestic. He will become less scared, but may never be a cat they can fuss. On the other hand some adult ferals do become fussable. But they all calm, eventually, it just takes time: months or even a year, depending on his prior experience of humans.

The main rule: never approach the cat, let the cat come to you. Any approach is seen as hostile.
Of course, if the cat is in a pen, this will be unavoidable to change trays and provide food.

If they need to 'catch' the cat to get him into a pen, perhaps also borrow a feral trap. This way the cat won't associate the experience with humans.

Good luck to your friend, they'll need lots of patience, but it'll be worth it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:07:49 AM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 21:19:22 PM »
Thanks Liz, I've passed on the details. Apparently they have had him spayed and the toilet is just for his use so he doesn't get disturbed much. She got feliway spray and plug in yesterday but I think they take a while to work don't they?

Hopefully she'll try the other things you mentioned as well.

I've told her to keep me up to date and if she needs anymore help I will pm you.  :thanks: 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 20:08:13 PM »
The cat sound more scared than feral and first thing would be to get him to a vet and get the chop

Can you friend access a large dog crate or ask local CP for a pen so he can have his own space rather than a toiet which isn't the biggest space and if its the only one in the house will have a lot of foot traffic and flushing which will all be new to him and very scarey

Also can they get some Zylkene or similar from the vet to pop on to his wet food this may take the edge of for a while takes about a wek to work and its one or 2 capsules a day depending on his size also a catnip or valarian toy is good to

These have worked on my adult ferals and the youngsters to if you want any more advice pm me and I will give some more Clan cat feral handy hints

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
Help with feral cat
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 17:51:45 PM »
Hi

A friend of mine has emailed me to ask for help regarding a cat she has taken in. He has been hanging around her house for a while, they have check he hasn't been spayed and isn't chipped they now have trapped him in their toilet. He's about a year old and is very scared, he hide every time he sees them, he wees everywhere on his bed etc. My friend lives with her Mum and they have two other cats. Her Mum thinks it's cruel to keep him like this as he will never be domesticated but she wants to keep on trying for longer. what do people think? I could suggest feliway and maybe getting him spayed (can't remember if she said they'd had him spayed or not). Do you think it would be better to try to keep him in the garden with an outside shelter, do you think it's possible to tame him?

Thanks   

Link to CatChat