Author Topic: Recommendations?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
Re: Recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 14:41:48 PM »
Hi Sheila - I'll bear those in mind, and the auction too! :)

ROFL Tiggy - I know I thought that right after posting, but she stayed on it for hours! Phew!

So far so good at the moment - we are putting it on one of our armchairs now during the day while we are out, and at night, and its certainly getting used!

There was a very warm spot on it this morning when I went down - the occupant was however meowling at the door as always for her breakfast LOL!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »
I like the microwaveable Hotties (I buy from Amazon - go in via Easyfundraising with Busters Memorial Fund for Cats as the chosen charity - which is Purrs based - and get a % of everything you spend donated  to Buster's fund with no cost to you at all).

They are pretty bullet-proof so long as you don't overheat them. They feel warm for longer than a traditional hot water bottle and there's no chance of leakage, either.

My lot fight for space on them.  ;)

Any unwanted items you have at the end of the year (doesn't have to be cat related but it helps if you can catify the reason for including it in the Auction) can always go into the Purrs Auction - this is a bit like e-bay except all the proceeds go to the Purrs-supported Rescue chosen each year, so you may end up paying out postage to get rid of your stuff, but you could also raise tons for the needy kitties as bidding gets a bit silly when we all get a bit, erhem, excited  :shy:

Keep your eyes peeled, it'll be here around October/November time so all purchases are posted in time for Xmas.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 21:57:57 PM »
 :evillaugh:

Don't speak to soon, if she hears you she'll studiously ignore it for weeks!  :naughty:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 19:45:26 PM »
 :wow: the contrary little madam, I think she must have heard me! No sooner had I typed that, she curled up in the middle of the mat and is now fast asleep!!!

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 19:26:26 PM »

Just a quick update, in the end we went for the self heating mat, having picked up the snuggle safe we thought its was just a bit too hard :/

So far not massive success with the mat though, but I'm hoping she will take to it soon (fussy mare LOL). I'll let you know how we get on.....!

Thanks for all the advice :)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 23:46:30 PM »
The snugglesafe heat pat goes down well here.  It might seem hard and uncomfortable, but both Jaffa and Mosi love to drape themselves over it and obviously dont find the shape or hardness a problem.  In addition, Jaffa has a hot water bottle with a fluffy cover on at bed time and absolutely  loves it.  Just need to make sure it's not made so hot that were they to puncture it the water would scald them (not that that has ever happened).  Nice and squishy to curl up on.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 14:16:33 PM »
I would just forewarn you that the reflective bit inside makes a crinkly noise so might take a bit of getting used to ....  Hopefully Schmoo is not an especially nervous girl?  Doesn't bother our lot though.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 13:55:02 PM »
Ooh thanks Rosella I like the look of that! Schmoo had a radiator bed in our old house and loved it, but we havent got anywhere to put one now :/

Shes got one of those igloo beds which she does like, but at the moment she loves sleeping on a little beanbag footstool thing we have, but she sleeps curled into a teeny ball sunk into the top of it, so when she tries to get up in the mornings shes all stiff and wobbly!

Im thinking if I can warm up the igloo a bit, she'll be a bit betted off in there as is flatter? I might give that self heating mat a try, or one of the microwave ones - I am just worried about it being a little bit too toasty!!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 13:25:30 PM »
Whilst not a heated pet bed, in addition to 3 radiator beds, our lot also love this which reflects body heat.  It is really quite effective.  OK so it's stationed right between two windows which gives great viewing for birds and intruders  :) but it is occupied by one or three of our lot all of the time.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=1350&pf_id=52968
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 13:33:39 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 13:17:21 PM »
They are cooler towards the end of heat retention I get about 10 good warm hours and then it dips but by then I am already to heat it back up again ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:15:57 AM »
Thanks Ladies!

I'd seen both of these and I actually liked the look of the plug in one, but OH isnt too sure about heaters being plugged in when we arent at home LOL!  :tired:

I was looking at the microwave ones - but do they give out constant temp or are they like a hot water bottle, and start off boiling and slowly cool down?

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 22:32:08 PM »
I have used the same as bunglycat    My dear Marmalade RIP seemsd to find it very comfortable and I too left it on 24?7   during his last winter even though the house is warm  Can definately recommend one

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 21:06:51 PM »
I use the ones off eBay that are rubber like and soft , they come with a red fleecy cover and mine are all plugged in 24/7 and are really good .

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 20:37:26 PM »
We use the metal heat pads that plug in and also the microwave version which stays warm for 12 hours

Both are very good and we use these methods for our outside ferals in the winter and they don't get up early
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 20:32:14 PM »
Hello

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good heated pet bed?

Seems our girl is possibly developing a touch of arthritis, it's not too bad at the moment though and the vets said that a heated bed would be a good idea before we think about medication (she's already got a number of other things going on :/)?

Thanks!
H

Link to CatChat