Author Topic: Tabs  (Read 4472 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: Tabs
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 00:23:28 AM »
Such a beautiful tribute to such a handsome boy  :hug: :hug:
So sorry for you loss xx
I dont think you ever truely get over losses  :'( :hug:
Love & hugs to you x
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Witchling86

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Spirit
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »
A gorgeous tribute to a gorgeous boy x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
He was a gorgeous boy. Rest Easy, Tabs.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 21:22:21 PM »
A wonderful tribute to a wonderful boy  :hug: Fabulous photos as always, I love the one of the pied piper of the cat world!  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 14:12:47 PM »
A lovely tribute to a lovely cat and agree your pics are so good and I always adore your cats  :hug: :hug:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 10:46:48 AM »
So pleased you were able to post a tribute to the handsome Tabs and accompanied by wonderful photos of him  :) bet you were over the moon when he decided to allow cuddles.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 20:25:16 PM »
Aww bless  :Luv: what lovely photos, hugs to you  :hug: :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 20:08:48 PM »
thats brought tears to my eyes.        I always look forward to your photos {I think you take wonderful photos that really capture your cats attitude] and just loved Tabs as he reminded me of our neighbours cat Wilf who we love very much  :hug: x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Thomas, Suki, Sweep, Tatty & Tabs
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 19:50:34 PM »
I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to do this, but it has been so very hard  :(

Tabs first turned up at our house in 2007.  Initially we just used to see him in the garden, and then gradually he used to pop into the kitchen for snacks before eventually being trapped after getting into a fight and only being able to get about on 3 legs.  I remember posting about when he joined us, and the wonderful support which I received then.
 :)

The first time I ever saw Tabs

Tabs before treatment

We got his leg problem which was due to an abscess and various infections fixed, and got him neutered, microchipped and a dental done.

Tabs after a few months care

After all the horrible things that I had had done to him, he decided that he adored his daddy Jim, and that I was definitely only second best.  He was however, a wonderful little cat with people, and everyone at the vets loved him, especially the receptionists and nurses, because he always used to purr for them, even when they had to inject him.
 :Luv: :Luv2:

Tabs loving his daddy

It took him a little longer to settle in with the rest of the furry gang, because to begin with he wanted to take over as top cat, and that was never going to happen while Tatty was around.  Suki was never a big fan of his, but at least the others got used to his ways.  It was funny though, because after we lost Tatty in 2010, we thought that Tabs would try to take top position again, but it seemed like by that time he wasn’t too fussed about it, and he was happy just to let things be.

Tabs In The Garden

We never knew where Tabs had come from, but we learned that wherever it was he had been hit.  You could tell if you picked up a newspaper, magazine or book, or even if you lifted your forearm too quickly, Tabs would run away, and when he looked back over his shoulder at you, you could see the look of fear in his eyes.  It didn’t take us too long to learn that if you ever wanted to pick up such things, you had to move really slowly, and our pet sitters always had to understand this.  Over time he got to trust us, but you still had to be very careful, so that it just became second nature.

On one of his annual checkups at the vets, I asked about his tail, because he had never seemed to be able to hold it upright, and the vet confirmed that it looked like it had been broken at some time and had subsequently healed.  He still had feeling in the end of it, so as long as he wasn’t bothered by it – and he wasn’t, it had to stay that way.

Tabs in the garden

After a year or 2, Tabs looked at what Sweepy was doing, and decided that maybe sitting on my lap wasn’t such a bad thing after all, and when I used to sit down in the evenings it was a race to see who could get to my lap first.  If Tabs won, Sweepy would lie at the side of my leg, and if Sweepy won, Tabs would have to sit on the arm of the sofa on my other side.  When little Jericho joined us, the competition got even greater, and I would have one on my lap and one on each side, although in this picture Sweepy is behind my head.

Earlier this year, Tabs started to suffer with sore gums again and shortly after was found to possibly have cancer of the bladder.  We visited the vet so many times, as we alternated between the treatments for the two conditions, because the treatments weren’t compatible, and only one could be given at a time.

Throughout all that he was going through, Tabs still wanted to be with us, and when we took Furdie out for his walks, he, Rory and Sweepy would come with us.

I can’t believe how little time it seemed to take at yet another appointment before the vet eventually said that even if we swapped to the treatment for the other problem, he thought that we would be back again within a day or two and that it wasn’t fair on Tabs any more.  Jim agreed with the vet immediately, though it took me a little longer, but eventually we both agreed that we had to let our baby go.  I will never forget your face and how you purred.   :Luv:

You were so special and brought us so much joy.   :Luv2:

I love you and miss you so very much.    :Luv: :Luv2: :Luv: :Luv2: :Luv: :Luv2:

Tabs, my star

Tabs close up

Tabs tongue

Two days after we lost Tabs, there was a rainbow, I was so convinced that it was Tabs’ Rainbow.  I realized after that Tommy still hadn’t sent us one, but I was just so convinced that it had come from Tabs.

Tabs’ Rainbow

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 19:25:48 PM »
So sorry to hear this Sylvia  :hug: x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 14:31:25 PM »
RIP Tabs, so sorry  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 10:54:32 AM »
So sorry to hear this Sylvia  :(  :hug:

RIP Tabs, safe and sound at the Bridge by now xx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 09:38:58 AM »
Oh Sylvia  :hug: :hug: :hug:  What an awful time you are going through  :'(

So very sorry for your loss.  RIP Tabs. Rest easy kid  :'(

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 09:16:48 AM »
Sorry to hear the news, RIP brave little Tabs.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 08:49:12 AM »
Very sorry to hear about Tabs  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:24:41 AM »
So sorry for your loss  :'(  :hug: :hug:

Goodnight, God Bless Tabs xx
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 00:48:34 AM »
So sorry to hear about your loss   :( :(
RIP Tabs   

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 00:20:14 AM »
Oh Sylvia I am so very sorry  :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Tabs, play hard on the Bridge

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Thomas, Suki, Sweep, Tatty & Tabs
Tabs
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 00:12:33 AM »
Our wonderful Tabs was put to sleep on Bank Holiday Monday  :'(

We seemed to be living at the vet since the end of February, and when we thought we had fixed one problem, another would turn up, and the treatments for both conditions could never be given at the same time.  We seemed to be alternating between a bladder problem that was either a tumour or crystals and sore gums which were preventing him from eating.

By Monday, poor Tabs had stopped eating, was becoming dehydrated and had a temperature.  The vet said that even though they could admit him and treat him for all that, we would probably be back within 24 to 48 hours with the symptoms back again.  We made the decision that after all Tabs had already been through, it was time to let him go.

At least he had been at home with us for Easter.  He was so very brave  :Luv:

Jim and I miss him so much  :Luv2:

I will try not to leave it as long as I did for Tommy to do a proper memorial for him - this year is so hard to bear  :'(

Link to CatChat