Author Topic: Constipation  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
Re: Constipation
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 06:07:16 AM »
When our old cat Cidie was constipated she had a rather red looking bottom which looked a bit bulgy at time if she needed to go. The vet could also feel the hard stool pellets in her bowel when they felt her abdomen. She also sometimes scooted her botty on the floor as if she couldn't expel the faeces.
She got some paste stuff but it was hard to get her to take it and the problem was mainly due to the tablets she was on for kidney failure.

I had Katalax and Bezo which I use to put on Pins fur for him to lick. The vet prescribed Lactulose which was even better (you put it in the food)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 23:48:54 PM »
Thanks souffle  ;D

I know how to help it if it is there but just didnt know how to find out.

A teaspoon of carnation condensed milk mixed with warm water to make a little drink............they tend to like the taste once they get past the smell!

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 20:32:08 PM »
When our old cat Cidie was constipated she had a rather red looking bottom which looked a bit bulgy at time if she needed to go. The vet could also feel the hard stool pellets in her bowel when they felt her abdomen. She also sometimes scooted her botty on the floor as if she couldn't expel the faeces.
She got some paste stuff but it was hard to get her to take it and the problem was mainly due to the tablets she was on for kidney failure.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 18:22:11 PM »
thanks peggy and hope your bed will dry quick  :hug:

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 17:51:49 PM »
Glad your problem is solved Gill  Don't go out in the cold if you don't have to.  Lovely to see the rain here but it always comes at the wrong time  Oscar has come in wet and gone on my bed to dry off!   Oh dear but I love himm all the same!    :hug:

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 09:28:04 AM »
If you dug some fresh soil in the garden he might take advantage and use it himself then you could see. Ping (bless his darling heart) when he was with me physically use to get Lactulose.

The vet gave it me first off but it is much cheaper if you get it from the chemist (but pretend it is for yourself other wise they won't sell it to you if they know it is for a pet).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 06:03:34 AM by Peardrop »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 20:12:23 PM »
i just havent seen any evidence but my garden is big and have been a bit worried since Misa had his op but that is quite a while ago.

Also its always good to know these things.

Not feeling very good at moment and too cold out there for me but in end couldnt resist those pleading blue eyes of Lupin and him crying at the door and getting under my feet so we went out and found that the little mini patch I had cleared by the roses now has an added attraction!

Didnt take him long to find it, so obviously no problem now  :shify: :shify:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 14:15:25 PM »
why do you think he is Gill?  must admit i've no idea out of mine who does what!  apart from tilly who goes in the middle of the lawn!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 14:09:44 PM »
Not possible HK, as I said he wont use a tray indoors and stand the risk of stress cistitus.

I dont want to add anything to his food as it may not be necessary but do need to know what signs a cat would show and over what timescale probs would happen.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 13:27:38 PM »
Keep the cat inside for a few days and see what he/she does re poos. That's the only way you'll find out whether your cat has a problem.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 05:12:56 AM »
My little tabby Scrap had this problem and I used to see her in the garden straining to go   She used to be off her food too.  It is so long ago that i can't remember what the vet treated her with but I do remember that he told me to add bran to her food
It could only happen on Purrs that I am up in the middle of the night on my birthday talking about constipation!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Constipation
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 02:47:47 AM »
How can it be found out if a cat is constipated when it is an outdoor cat and will not use trays indoors?

What time period would what ever occurs happen?

Link to CatChat