Author Topic: introductions ?  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: introductions ?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:33:07 AM »
There are 2 approaches to introducing cats - gradually introduce them or just put them together annd let them sort it out!  Although I favour the first in theory, I used the second when I got Mosi because keeping 2 cats separate in a one bed flat is not easy.  Bear in mind that disagreements between cats tend to sound worse than they are with lots of fluffed up fur and hissing but rarely much real aggression.  Sometimes I think it's worse if they can see or smell another cat but can't actually make any contact.

What I did when I got Mosi was to keep Jaffa in the bedroom to begin with whilst Mosi made himself at home in the living room/kitchen area and found (and used) the litter tray.   After several hours of that, and going back and forth between the 2 rooms, I took Mosi in to Jaffa and just put him down beside him.  They both hissed at each other (the only time I have ever heard Mosi hiss) but after a bit Mosi decided that Jaffa was ok and Jaffa decided that Mosi was ok as long as he kept his distance.  Any time Mosi got close Jaffa would hiss at him and over the next few days they gradually got used to each other.  Jaffa still hissed at Mosi and would sit on him in dominance (Mosi kept trying to play with him) but Mosi has never been the kind of cat to let that bother him.  Gradually the hissing stopped and they learnt each other's boundaries (well, Jaffa tried to teach Mosi the boundaries and Mosi constantly tested the boundaries!).   So pretty successful intro but there was a fair bit of fluff on the floor at times and sometimes it sounded a lot worse than it was.

Alternatively keep them separate for longer and exchange scents by swapping blankets etc. then gradually introduce them leaving them together (supervised) for short periods of time.

Whichever method you choose, try not to intervene at the first sign of trouble unless either cat is actually getting hurt or seems genuinely distressed.  They will need a bit of hissing and scrapping to sort things out.  Plus your 4 month old will probably want to play all the time.  Whilst play between a kitten and an adult cat needs to be supervised to make sure the little one isn't getting hurt, sometimes it's better if the adult cat is allowed to show the youngster who's boss and what will happen if he over steps the boundaries.  Sometimes separating them just as that is about to happen just delays things.  I used to worry that Jaffa would hurt Mosi simply because he was so much bigger (he's a big cat and Mosi was only 14 weeks old) but although he would sit on him and pin him to the ground, it was clear that he had no intention of causing physical harm.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:36:08 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline x.shell.x

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Peppa and Jasper
introductions ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 17:17:17 PM »
hi so im wondering if anyone has some good tips on how best to go about introducing a new kitten to the house to make things as easy as possible on both cats.

Last night we went and picked up a new kitten (4 months) ive read all the things on line that say to have the new kitten in her own room and so on but thing is she just crys when you leave her ( was told when we picked her up that she was very sookie)

O'malley is the huffy boy in question they did see each other through the door and he was not impressed. both of them 'puffed up' and O'malley hissed before he ran away. i was quite surprised as he is such an easy going boy and is fine with cats that come in to the house for a quick treat it never fussed him. the thing im worried about is that O'malley is a beast' possibly the biggest cat i have seen and the new miss obviously is still so tiny...

So any tips on how to make this all easier on them (o'malley in particular as little miss just isnt bothered by any of it.) i am doing the the blanket switch and food bowls too. i know its going to take a bit and nothing is going to happen over night.

Thanks
Michelle

Link to CatChat