Author Topic: Daisy not taking well to new kitten situation at all..  (Read 3696 times)

Offline lynda

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Jess & Gordon
Re: Daisy not taking well to new kitten situation at all..
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 19:24:27 PM »
Great news Fitchiv  ;D

Lynda you need to do things very very slowly, a week is nothing and prepare for it to take months  :hug:

We are in it for the long haul and will keep persisting, a few minutes each day to start with and gradually build it up, I guess eventually, he will stop being a stranger to her and become more like part of the family!

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 15:59:19 PM »
We brought Harry home on sunday, he has been introduced to our girl and 2 boys on sunday, part playing part growling and hissing from all 3 older cats. He is quite a bold kitten though and doesn't let them faze him much. He keeps trying to play with them, and they aren't up for it at the moment.

Only been 2 days so really pleased with progress so far, I keep telling Wordy that Harry is going to be a big boy, so he'd better watch himself, and not duff him up. I saw Harrys dad at the rescue and he is huge.

Nicky

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 15:43:54 PM »
Great news Fitchiv  ;D

Lynda you need to do things very very slowly, a week is nothing and prepare for it to take months  :hug:

Offline lynda

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Jess & Gordon
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 15:31:21 PM »
I have just introduced a kitten to my 4 year old cat, we have had him a week now and he's been living in our spare room whilst we tried to get him and my cat used to the situation, however, attempts I have made to introduce her to the kitten have ended in her running away, or making growling noises at him!

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Daisy
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:04:21 AM »
Well since the last post we've experienced a bit of a breakthrough in that we now trust Daisy not to hurt her. They're at point now of running around after eachother with some playful batting and some shocked hisses if one catches the other unawares. Daisy is being ridiculously gentle - the scratches on my arms are proof she can play HARD, but she is being feather light with the kitten when batting etc. There's no anger, just continued anxiousness. Even when playing there is a general, continual grumbling from her almost under her breath. I'm hoping that anxiety erodes with time, as we're letting the kitten "out" of her room when one of us is present to get them as used to eachother as possibe.

It's really nice seeing them play, Daisy's tail fluffing up to a Basil Brush size implement as she gets worked up. It's definitely two way, she's as interested in the kitten as the kitten is in her.

Updated - we're definitely getting there, 10 days in

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 20:26:43 PM by Fitzchiv »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 08:21:52 AM »
still early days, I'm sure you will be fine - daisy is very cute!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 20:00:03 PM »
Sounds liek she has made excellent progress  ;D Looking forward to the pics of them cuddled up in 6 months time!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 18:30:56 PM »
6 days is very quick.

Daisy is a tortie, now that explains all  :rofl: :rofl:

Sasa my tortie scares Lupin right down to his boots, she doesnt have to do or say anything, just looks at him. Lupin will climb all over things to get past rather than walk or run past her.  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 16:34:51 PM »
Thought I would update in case anyone is preparing for a similar situation.

There has been a definite improvement,  although whether this is through the Feliway or simply just Daisy getting used to the kit I'm not sure.

We've gone from growling, wide eyes and hiding under the table to sitting a few feet away, sometimes coming in close to touch noses and......growling.

If the kitten (Frankie) runs too close, Daisy will give a hiss and raise her paw - but it's more in self defense and shock than aggression. I think we're on the cusp of it tipping more towards curiosity than nervousness now. Long way to go yet, but I think if we continue to see the same progress over the next 6 days we'll be almost there.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 16:36:29 PM by Fitzchiv »

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 16:03:09 PM »
Feliway is excellent!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 15:46:58 PM »
You have brought an intruder into the house, of course she is upset........wouldnt you be?  :innocent:

It will take time. loads of time maybe, not days but weeks and months.

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 15:41:00 PM »
It'll take time! Daisy has got used to being the only cat and now has to get used to a new creature in the house.

I read somewhere that rubbing a teatowel over the new cat and then putting the resident cat's food bowl on the towel will encourage the resident cat to associate the newbie's smell with something nice (food!). I don't know if this works but it sounds logical.

May be worth a try. I did leave the towel that was in the carry box, out in the main part of the flat so she would have the smell around. Feliway seems to be getting a good review on various websites so we may look at that to. Thing is, Daisy still came through the night and gave us both a kiss and slept at the foot of the bed between us so I think she's OK if she calms down a bit. It's just when the kit mewls etc she gets very tense very quickly

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 15:38:01 PM »
It'll take time! Daisy has got used to being the only cat and now has to get used to a new creature in the house.

I read somewhere that rubbing a teatowel over the new cat and then putting the resident cat's food bowl on the towel will encourage the resident cat to associate the newbie's smell with something nice (food!). I don't know if this works but it sounds logical.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 15:30:01 PM »
it is such early days you shouldn't panic - when I introduced Tilly as a kitten to my boys oscar and algie she lived in her kitten room for about two weeks before they actually met and only then after they'd been playing footsie under the door! - you could try a feliway plug in some people think it works (me) others don't but its always worth a try

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
Daisy not taking well to new kitten situation at all..
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 15:22:57 PM »
Hi, we have an 18month old tort named Daisy, she's a house cat, and been with us since she was about 12 weeks old. As she's a house cat, and as we work through the day and sleep at night but otherwise are around mornings, evenings and weekends, we decided we have the time, space and energy to add another member to our family and it would do Daisy good.

So last night we collected and brought home an 8 week old kit (we've actually not decided on a name yet). We initially set the carrier down, closed, and allowed both cats to become aware of eachother. The kitten was fine. Daisy however was not. Stooped, growling and wide eyed she spent most of the time watching from a distance - sometimes grumbling - and should the kitten get anywhere near her she hisses and perhaps even runs off.

We've since set the kitten up in the spare room with everything it needs and will be taking things a lot slower, allowing both to adjust to the smells and sounds of living in the same space - albeit through a door. This is in line with many internet guides on introducing a new cat.

What's troubling us a little is Daisy appears no less phased than she was last night. She's keeping her distance from my partner (who's at home today - and one of us will be there to supervise every day until Tuesday) and being very grumpy. It's upsetting as we have such a close relationship with her. I maintained from the start that if there's a problem with Daisy and she doesn't get used to things, I will find a new home for the kitten.

Obviously not much time has passed, but does anyone have any tips for easing this transition for Daisy? She's that wound up she's not interested in toys or treats when she thinks there's any chance of the kitten being around.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 15:24:00 PM by Fitzchiv »

Link to CatChat