Author Topic: help with my peeing cat!!!!!  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: help with my peeing cat!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 09:24:18 AM »
Is there any way you can block off the area where he is peeing?  I know you said when you put down a litter tray he just went beside it, but can you block off the general area for a while?  I  had a problem with Jaffa weeing in the hallway a couple of years ago and whatever caused it (I think it was caused by a combinatin of stress due to lots of workmen in my flat following a flood, tenison between him and my younger cat, and only one litter tray which is a covered one and I think he was feeling a bit vulnerable using that tray), I think it was habit as much as anything else that caused him to continue using that place.  Although I cleaned thoroughly with a commercial stain/odour remover (Simple from pets at home) I was sure he was being attracted back to the same area by a lingering smell that I wasn't aware of.  In addition to adding an open litter tray in the bathroom, I blocked off that part of the hall with some cardboard play boxes and he's never gone there since.  Whatever the initial cause, cats sometimes return to the same place simply out of habit even when the initial cause has passed.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 01:47:14 AM »
oh thats great news, Jess!  ;D ;D

Definitely get 2 litter trays as Gill said - because although he is using the same spot to wee at the moment they really dont like scraping through dirty litter all that much lol (fickle creatures haha) especially as he is an indoor cat  :)

I'm quite lucky as my 2 go out frequently I have managed to reduce the amount of trays normally needed for 2 cats (and when I had a cat flap I didnt have any trays at all.... :dance: :wooooo: how i miss those days!! lol) but anythings worth a go to save your sanity & flooring!

Keep us up to date  :Luv2: :Luv2: and hugs to Toulouse  :Luv: :Luv:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 20:01:02 PM »
Yes I assumed you had two!

Offline jessiezara

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Tououse
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 19:12:52 PM »
Well had all his results back today and looks like he all in the clear!! Which. Its great news but I'm stuck with the same problem! Does anyone think getting two liter trays will make a difference?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 08:31:57 AM »
Don't forget that cats' sense of smell is far better than ours  :shy: 

When do you get his blood results back? 

Have you managed to get a urine sample checked out?  I had similar problems with one of ours who had kidney problems.  He wouldn't use a tray so couldn't collect a sample that way but weirdly he would let me use a plastic jug to collect sample  :-:  Sample must be fresh though so I used to keep fingers crossed and jug at the ready from around 7.30am and get to the vet when they opened.  Happy days  :)

Sending many get well vibes to Toulouse  :hug:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:41:53 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 03:23:02 AM »
oh poor little thing  :hug: :hug:

Do check with vet whether the ordeal is leaving him in any pain or whether it could be the reason but, it could be the trauma of his frightening ordeal thats led him to that  :(

I moved to a temporary place and my Nuggie started doing the exact same thing in the corner of the room, so i sympathise with you and its not so much the act but the smells and how it rots the floor.
I found out that in just the short time there he was not treated very well and being a nervous cat anyway the whole noise and kids hanging around (and probably awful to him) had him scared to death. His older brother however was fine but again that was more due to his confident nature.

I'm not saying you need to move or anything as drastic as that but maybe when asking the vet about his kidney, also seek advice on how to rebuild his confidence??

I hope your baby is fit & healthy and that things are resolved quickly x
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 00:21:51 AM »
Must be BIo cos the other sort wont work and dont forget the puppy pads  ;D

Offline jessiezara

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 00:00:27 AM »
thank you! i knew most household products were no good but never heard of using washing powder!! will try that tonight! the cat disinfectant was from pets at home, but it has quite a strong smell and dont think is much better then household products.
jessiex

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 23:50:21 PM »
Biological washing powder or the stuff that Rosella recommended is best, sorry dont know what the cat discinfectant is, because as you have discovered things like CIF and most household cleaners including bleach contain ammonia which attracts the cats back.

Not all cat urine smells thank goodness  ;D

Something I can recommend cos I have an elderly cat who misses the tray sometimes, is puppy pads under the tray and around the tray, one in the exact spot that your cat urinates.

So clean the area with bio washing stuff let it dry and then put puppy pads and tray down, if he then does as normal all you will have to do is pick up the pad and throw and replace. It became the option in my bathroom and now the bedroom. They are about 2ft square give or take an inch and 50 from PAH cost about £18, sometimes you can find good offers online.

Offline jessiezara

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 23:38:37 PM »
i was mopping it up with cif, but then i read that they can be attaracted to the smell, so i bought some cat disinfectant from the shop, but its quite odd as i have smelt other cats pee and its quite strong but there is no smell to toulouses its like water?to be honest i dont think the vets know whats wrong, they knew his kidney wasnt working properly and he is probably only got one working kidney.. but he looks very healthy and is hugggge (not in a fat way) and eats and drinks really well. I have watched him closely and he doesnt seem to be showing signs of pain??
jess x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 23:18:55 PM »
But what do you use to clean the area with, this is very important?

That sounds really nasty what happened to him and did you aks the vet whether this could be the reason? He could be in pain like stuart says.

What did the vet say?

Offline jessiezara

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 21:53:50 PM »
Well he has been in and out of the vets. He went today for a blood test :( as I'm a bit of a wimp he is not aloud outside but he is doing everything to escape out to play with the chickens!
A few months ago when he was a few months old he managed to get out while I was in a different room, he was out for about 10mins and when I called him back in he looked awful and I knew this was a emergency for the vets. I took him and the vet said he was fine but I wasnt convinced so I took him back and a new vet operated on him that day. She said he had been kicked really hard in the kidneys and it was inflamed and not working hence the weekly blood tests to see if it improves. It will never be normal, we nearly lost him was the worst few weeks of my life!! But took him in today and they seemed really pleased but have to wait for blood results? Do you think this may be the cause of the peeing? As the pee doesn't smell at all?
He is neutered and I always clean the place as good as I can?
Jess's x

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 21:09:29 PM »
Hi Jess, and welcome to purrs  :)
As other have already said, best to get Toulouse checked out by the vet  ;)

UTI ( urinary Trackt Infection ) could be the problem tho, when weeing with a UTI it can be painful to pass urine
Furbabes then start to associate the litter tray with the pain so they avoid using it, that is why they will wee in different places  :doh:

the vet should sort this out tho  ;)

hth
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 21:11:43 PM by Stuart »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 16:22:02 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

Has he been neutered?

This stuff is very good for getting rid of the smell.  Very important to get rid of smell as he will keep using same spot. 

http://www.xeria.co.uk/kolist45/1/Full%20Product%20List/26/RX66J.htm

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 15:48:43 PM »
What are you using to get rif of the smell/cleaning?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 15:32:58 PM »
Have you had him checked at the vets, just to rule out a UTI/cystitis?

Offline jessiezara

• Kitten
help with my peeing cat!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 15:23:38 PM »
hello,
i have a ragdoll cross called toulouse, he is definately the king of the house!!!
but he has been peeing in the same places now for months and its driving me mad!!! he did use his litter tray fine when we first got him, but he pees on the wooden floor in the corner of the living room every day about 3 times the floor is ruined now, i have changed his litter to see if that helped but nothing seems to be working, so yesterday i moved his litter tray to where he is peeing but he peed next to the box this morning.
he even does it infront of me sometimes, any suggestions heeelllp!!!
jessx

Link to CatChat