Author Topic: Probably nothing, but foot flicking while eating?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
Re: Probably nothing, but foot flicking while eating?
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 12:41:29 PM »
My Cashie shakes his back foot sometimes when he's finished eating, I have always assumed it was disapproval for what I had offered him! 

I honestly doubt it is anything to worry about, just one of those odd little habits cats have.

Izzy sometimes tries to bury the food she's left.... that makes more sense to me.  She cracks me up with her habits, when she's covering up what she has done in the litter tray she pulls the dustpan and brush over and tries to cover it up with that as well, makes a terrific noise.

If yiou find out what causes it please let us know but I am pretty sure it's a cat foible that we will never understand.

Jo

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 11:09:54 AM »
A vet visit might be a good idea. There could be other problems involved. Best to rule them out.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 09:57:02 AM »
Hi Hippy, well I looked at her doing it over the weekend and its not really like shes trying to cover it over, more like shes got sort of pins & needles perhaps?

We havent changed her food lately but she might well be getting bored of it I suppose - shes a fussy madam! I hope shes not going off it though as shes got a sensitive tum and its hard finding a food that she will eat and not end up throwing up all over the living room   :shocked:

Hmm if shes keeps doing it I will get the vets to take a look next time we go in...

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 15:44:44 PM »
I've had cats who've done this. If it looks a bit like the cat is try to cover the food with her back legs, then I think this is just because she's had enough to eat but is trying to protect her food so that she can come back to it later.

They also sometimes do this if they don't like the cat food. Have you changed brands?

That's if she does look as though she's trying to cover her food. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the problem is.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:35:35 AM »
I've checked her back pads and cant see anything in there or between her toes, thats what I first thought it might be. Shes not keen on being examined in any way LOL but she didnt seem to mind any more than normal  :tired:

Shes not limping or anything, although she is perhaps walking with her back legs bent a little, so maybe shes a bit achy for some reason - shes not exactly an active cat LOL so unlikely to have done anything strenuous  :shocked:

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:29:32 AM »
Just wondering if something is irritating the foot/leg area or she's pulled a muscle and perhaps it's putting her off eating if she's not that comfortable.  When she's relaxed, will she let you stroke along the leg and foot area?  If it continues or she seems out of sorts, then it might be worth getting her checked by the vet.

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 10:20:53 AM »
Charlie flicks his foot, but can't say I've noticed it as part of when he's eating, will keep a closer watch on him.

Hope your cat is ok.

Nicky

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
Probably nothing, but foot flicking while eating?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:08:21 AM »
Hello!

I'm probably just being paranoid, but has anyone else ever noticed their cat doing the 'foot flicking' thing while they are eating?

Schmoos been doing it on and off for the last few days? She'll eat a bit, then walk off a little way while flicking her back foot, sit down and contemplate things for a while, and then go back to eating a bit more - then do it all again?

Shes not actually eating brilliantly at the moment either, but she does seem to have good and bad days so I'm try not to worry too much about that :/

Would be interested to know if anyone else has seen this before though?

H

Link to CatChat