Author Topic: My Cats Behavious Has Changed?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: My Cats Behavious Has Changed?
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 19:16:21 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Sounds like normal behaviour too and it also seems that it is because she is very happy in her new home and she has come out of her shell which is a credit to you both and also lovely to hear for an older cat  :) :)

My oldest Nuggie aged nearly 10 (i've had him since he was a baby) does the exact same behaviour and the Kickaroo type toy is definitely the best for her with this type of play. As soon as i notice the change in Nuggies face - which indicates he's going to attempt to rip my arm into something that resembles a horror movie  :rofl: - I just remove myself from him, fling him the Bunnykick toy and he gets rid of his pent up energy (and I remain unshredded  :evillaugh:)
But I echo all the other posts in saying that this little Kitty is just fine - try her with the Da Mouse or Da Bird from the Purrs Shop too. Guaranteed to burn up that energy!! My 2yr old Rescue can vouch for that  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 10:26:22 AM »
I also agree this sounds like normal behaviour.  When she's being playful some of her natural instincts are coming out and now she has settled in and feeling more comfortable, she is more relaxed at letting herself go. My cats have a couple of favourite play toys and they hang onto them with all four paws and really kick, pull and bite at them.  When Lottie is relaxed she will let you stroke her tummy, but I have never been able to touch my boy (Toby) along his sides or tummy so some cats aren't that tolerant at being touched anyway. What's her name by the way?

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 20:37:44 PM »
Yeah Im another that has the soppiest cat ever until shes on her back and offering her tummy.... Its a trap! She knows I wont hurt her but takes great delight in making sure I know not to touch the tummy if that makes sense. The rest if the time I can cuddle and pick her up but every now and then she has to show me shes in charge...or thinks she is....or maybe its I think I am lol

Offline Dottycat

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Dotty
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 19:40:06 PM »
She has a kong kickeroo which she loves :). Think it was just the sudden change in temperament which concerned me but I'm hopefully it's just her becoming more confident.

Thanks for all your help though :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 09:13:41 AM »
even our most affectionate ear sucking Amber won't allow tummy touching if she is on the carpet!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
My Cats Behavious Has Changed?
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 23:24:54 PM »
If you don't want to encourage the fighty-bitey play with your hands you could get something like a kong kickeroo or a wiggly waggler (both are large ish long stuffed cat toys). They're long enough so that you can hold one end and touch her tummy without sacrificing your hand :naughty:

You're not alone in this - I have the soppiest, most docile, loving and affectionate cat who you can literally do anything to - he will lay flat out upside down in my arms and be bench pressed in the air (he loves it really :naughty:) however if he rolls appealingly onto his back luring me into rubbing his tummy... I know what's coming :evillaugh:

Offline Dottycat

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 23:05:48 PM »
Hi yes she will happily sit on my lap and let me rub her tummy. It just seems to be when she's on the carpet which I think she associates with playing as that where she plays with her toys which get bunny kicked frequently, it's only the last week the toys have become my hand! She has hissed at my girlfriend once but that's the one and only time so far. The only reason it was of concern due to the marked change in her behaviour towards us. She had only ever been 100% affectionate previously and never showed any sign of aggression, even in a playful way. She is a completely different cat to the one we saw at the shelter which is a good thing because she never left her bed and looks a bit miserable and I'm hoping it's just taking her a few months to get the confidence to be herself again.

Thanks for the advice it's really appreciated :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 22:48:15 PM »
Does she let you rub her tummy at other times eg when she standing and having a stroke/cuddle/pat? If there's no adverse reaction then it sounds very much like she has developed the confidence to bunny kick her 'prey' :naughty:

Offline Dottycat

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 22:41:51 PM »
Thanks that's reassuring. She always has rolled over onto her back but has never done the whole biting kicking thing! She been to the vets twice in the last couple of months for shots and after she cut herself scratching so I'm hoping they would have picked anything sinister then.

Many thanks again :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 22:30:10 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

I would say that her behaviour sounds quite normal and the change just shows that she is now relaxed and confident enough in her new home to expose her belly to lure you in to the tummy rub leading on to the bunny kick shred!

Offline Dottycat

• Kitten
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 22:20:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some guidance as I'm a fairly new cat owner. Myself and my girlfriend adopted a beautiful female cat back in November. She is approx 8-12 years and is spayed etc. The reason why loved her so much at the shelter was because she was so sweet, very affectionate and not a hint of any aggressive behaviour. She was also extremely quiet at the shelter, we never saw her grown despite having a lovely coat and she never came out of her small pen. Since living with us her Behavious changed immediately. She was a lot more energetic and seemed happy to have lots of her own space. Her temperament remained very loving until a week ago. Although she is still loving and affectionate she has taken to rolling over onto my back for her tummy to be petted and she'll bite and scram your hand quite sharply, pupils dilated and ears pinned back! I appreciate this is fairly normal playing behaviour for most cats but it's just because of the sudden change from a cat that was extremely docile to one who is biting and scramming daily. Any ideas?

Appreciate your advice guys

Link to CatChat