Author Topic: Need food suggestions  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Need food suggestions
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2012, 16:09:48 PM »
Thanks

Offline Lindyloo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »
Denes has a website and you can order online. They have an offer on until end of month.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
Have you looked on Amazon?

They do a whole range of stuff and a lot of it is free delivery if you're not in a hurry for it.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 10:05:24 AM »
Being a bit of a pushy sod   :rofl: I emailed every food bod for free samples tend to use them when one of the Clan is feeling under the weather or had a trip to the vets and you can end up with a load of wet and dry to try Gill and its always sent free so the only thing you need to do is type a generic letter then lots of cut copy and paste saves a lot of hassle and a lot of them send money off vouchers along with the free samples

Currently bite and chew by Whiskas is our trial test pouches emailed them and got 4 pouches all meat ones

The dogs are eating some JWB sachets free of course and they love them
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 01:34:24 AM »
Thanks Gillian I am sure I didnt see them in PAH when I was there but will have to ring them.

I am sure I bought them before from there cos tried them for Sasa and Misa but they wouldnt eat.......sigh

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 01:19:51 AM »
What about Nature's Menu, tried him on that? http://naturesmenu.co.uk/products/Pouches_for_Cats/Cat_Food_Pouches/ PAH used to do the pouches, not sure if still do. Jollyes do them and some Countrywide stores too.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 00:14:01 AM »
He ate the Hills for months and I stopped it cos very expensive when his problem had gone.

Afraid cant afford food from Vet UK cos they charge so much in postage

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 23:20:56 PM »
they have the JWB on vetuk

try the royal cannin version if you havent, often goes down better than hills  :Crazy:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 23:15:32 PM »
I was shocked at the hilife tins................only 4 types at my PAH and two were fish.

Bought one each of the other two and he wont touch them.

I already had Hills Gastro and Intestinal which solved his problem but he wont touch them any more.

Only thing he will eat at moment is sheba little morsels and thats not enough. Just dont understand why he wont touch all these foods.

I used to have to move stuff to keep him away from the baddies and now he has no interest.

I have never seen JVB pouches.

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 23:07:52 PM »
hills i/d or z/d

royal cannin sensitivity control

James wellbeloved pouches - but they are in gravey

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 14:02:29 PM »
Gill might be worth getting him tested for allergies if he is insured and that way you can pinpoint all the nasty foods that do him in

Might be worth sending some emails for some free samples to the makers explaining what his issues are and then you won't be wasting money

Thanks will think about this but very worried about his insurance on this topic tbh cos sadly his first vet visit for upset tum was before his insurance clicked in, timing so important.,,,,,,,,sigh.

Yes will think about the second thing too thanks.

Hmmmmmmmm I think that rules out Aldi cos he is hyper enough! Dont want him eating pate food on a regular basis as want him chewing food as his teeth are very good and pate, certainly gourmet colours every thing.

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »
Wilkinsons sells hi life , the little tins , mo used to really like them ..probs as they are high water content so they were easy for her to eat.

i did get some vouchers for free hi life food but they were only to be used in asda and another shop i dont have in my town xx

mine like the aldi pate in trays best out of everything they have had, not the aldi wet sachets though as miyagi went loopy on it and was addicted :Crazy:

I reckon the cats are about the same level as my kids in our house as no matter which meal you decide to cook one will say they dont like it :innocent:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 23:32:10 PM »
Gill might be worth getting him tested for allergies if he is insured and that way you can pinpoint all the nasty foods that do him in

Might be worth sending some emails for some free samples to the makers explaining what his issues are and then you won't be wasting money

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 23:12:40 PM »
Besides fish..........even fresh fish, I have no idea what upsets him and it took months to get him eating without an upset tummy.

I know that felix and whiskers jelly pouches upset him and whereas he used to eat everything and anything, thats stopped now.

I suspect if its too rich it wont be any good and he used to eat kitekat at his old home but never would here.

I dont want to give him stuff in gravy cos its notorious for upsetting tummys.

I have bought two suspect tins today from tesco, never heard of the make and then was thinking i was really daft cos tins just dont keep, maybe I will take them back.

He likes jelly the best I think, cant remember him eating pate which Ducha has. He has been eating sheba little morsels and sometines chicken andd ham in jelly and before that tesco chicken pouches in jelly, I bought a box of mixed ones but the other flavours did his stomach in.

Am wondering if the other Felix and whiskers things are the same basic ingredients as the ordinary pouches, just presented different.

He couldnt even eat the PAH Simply biscuits and he loved them months ago!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 22:18:42 PM »
Aldi do lots of different pouches - adult and probably kitten.  Not sure of the quality and whether they contain cereal etc. as I don't worry about that with Jaffa now - I just want to find things he will eat.  At nearly 15 he can eat what he wants but I prefer it to be senior.
What kind of foods does he like best?  jelly? gravy?  chunks?  pate? 

I buy Mosi's hi life essentials from quality save - tends to be cheapest there.  Wilkinsons also sell it.  Large Morrisons sell it too.  PAH sell the other pouches - not the essentials - the poultry recipe ones - and most supermarkets around here sell the tins of hi life essentials/petit pate singly.  The new Hi life I have bought is called Hi Life nature's essentials and it claims to contain "natural ingredients for healthy skin and coat, vitamin and mineral enriched, healthy digestion" etc. which basically just means they've shoved in stuff like seaweed, green tea extract and so on and I have no idea whether they are actually beneficial or just a marketing ploy.  It's a box of pouches with different textures.   But Mosi is a  hi life cat through and through so I thought I'd try him on them and so far he likes them.  I like Mosi to have stuff with high percentage meat and no cereals, vegetable deriviatives and hi life fits the bill being cereal free and cheap if you  get the essentials.  does contain sugar but you can't have everything!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 20:50:57 PM »
Tescos here do not sell Hi Life any more and havent for well over a year.

When I am next in PAH I will look but am sure they dont sell it here.

I looked on the Denes website but only one flavour that maybe any good, so not much good really.

Sheba have a huge amount of flavours but he wont touch all except two and he really isnt interested in those anymore. He wont touch the tesco  pouches any more and he could only eat the chicken in jelly cos the others upset his tummy.

He obviously cant have Aldi senior pouches lol but have a small Aldi up the road so will look and see what food they have.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 18:37:52 PM »
I've seen hi life in  most supermarkets and PAH.  Asda sell the little tins singly.  There's also a new hi life nature's essentials pouches at PAH.  At least I think they are new.  Mosi has sampled them today and gives them a paws up.  Have you tried the JWB pouches?  Not cheap but cereal free.

Jaffa is a fusspot these days but thankfully has developed a fondness for supermarket own brand senior pouches.  Not great from a quality point of view but good for the finances!  He is loving Aldi senior pouches!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 17:59:40 PM »
Applaws dry is complete and the wet is complimentary

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 17:19:50 PM »
We dont have a Sainsburys  :'( :'(  Thats where I used to get it when I was in London.

My PAH dont sell hi-life

Applause I believe is not a complete food ?

Why is this so blooming difficult?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cat food is very restricted here cos they sell mostly dog food grrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 16:49:17 PM »
I get the Hi Life Petit Pate tins from Sainsburys - they also do the Hi Life pouches. The Denes single serve trays (4 to a pack) I got from our local pet shop - although they told me they don't usually stock it - it was sent by mistake by their wholesaler which means if I want it again i'll have to order it  :tired: Denes tins (full size tins) I used to be able to get from Jollyes - but they don't stock it anymore  :tired: so if i want some again I'll have to get it online http://denes.co.uk/cats/index.php Denes have been around for more years than I care to remember  ;)

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 14:53:58 PM »
My fussy elderly cat has gone mad for this food, its expensive (86p)  but sometimes Pets at Home have it on offer:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/applaws-chicken-breast-and-pumpkin-cat-food-58121
they also do a tuna one, chicken and ostrich, which she also likes ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 14:37:58 PM »
Pretty sure PAH stock Hi-Life

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 13:27:19 PM »
I have never seen Denes ...........where do you get it?

Mostly independent pet shops but Denes have an online shop - denes.co.uk - and sell a pack of four "cups" as well as bulk supplies.

I cant get hi-life any more...........where do you get it?

I used to get Hi-life from Sainsburys although each branch does seem to vary what they stock.  I've also seen them in other supermarkets and in Wilkinsons.  Hi-life don't have an online shop but have links on their website - hilifepet.co.uk - to online stockists (I used to use Smylee Pets).

:)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 12:47:32 PM »
I can only get the boxes of potty about gravy at sainsbury and pets at home, but think waitrose do it too. Since you only want to try 1 first, pets at home do single servings, as do Wilkinson.

I have seen some other hilife food in asda as well, but can't remember which variety they were...
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 16:50:57 PM »
Why not fish?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cos it upsets his tummy......sigh  and this means no fish at all.

I have never seen Denes ...........where do you get it?

I cant get hi-life any more...........where do you get it?

I need to be able to get one pouch or little tin cos of his dodgy tummy and also his dodgy appetite........sigh

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 15:17:39 PM »
Denes - complete food, mainly in tins although according to their website they now do single-serve "cups"

I've just tried mine with the single serve Denes (fishy one, but they do a meaty one too) and they loved 'em  :) I sometimes give them the Denes in tins too, when I can get hold of them, as they don't seem to be stocked as extensively as they used to be.

Mine also like the Hi Life petit pates, and Toplife Chicken Dinner (very similar to Bozita) which is high meat and only from Asda at the moment (or online I guess).

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 14:31:09 PM »
Unfortunately I'm feeding mine Hilife potty about gravy (unfortunately cos its not cheap)

I got it cos denzel just licks the gravy off everything  :Crazy:

She doesnt eat the chicken chunks out of it tho, only the dark meat.... They dont like the petit pate tho

wish I'd ever tried it now, everything else just gets looked at in disgust!!!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 14:04:22 PM »
Amber is picky, she only likes pate style food, tesco have started doing 6 trays in a black box for about 1.50 and they are going down well, she will eat supermeat as well but a whole can is much to much and would last about three days!

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 14:02:28 PM »
Woody was a fussy eater and although his main preference was fishy foods (and he didn't like dry), some of the alternatives I tried with him were:

Denes - complete food, mainly in tins although according to their website they now do single-serve "cups"
Hi-life - "60% real" complete food in sachets; Petit Pate complete in tins (strangely he only liked the turkey & giblets and not the fishy versions); Perfection complementary in tins

My fail-safe back-stop was sardines in oil . . .

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
For Lupin!
Just dont understand why suddenly doesnt like his old food.......sigh
[/color]

Because he's a ruddy cat of course  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :rofl: :hug:

What kind of fish have you tried him on Gill?  How about:
Pilchards in tomato sauce - this isall Tibby had for 26 years
Tuna - Smudge had this nearly all the time

Liver pate - Bonnie loves this
Packs of thinly sliced chicken/turkey/ham - Bonnie also loves this
Of course these are just on the odd occassion - she eats Gourmet pouches and Sheba pouches regularly

Have you tried tins rather than pouches?

Good luck.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Need food suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:20:13 AM »
For Lupin!

I need some food ideas for him cos he is refusing to eat what he was happily eating before.

Whiskas and Felix are out as is fish and am needing wet food only.

Just dont understand why suddenly doesnt like his old food.......sigh

Link to CatChat