Author Topic: Greedy cats /kittens- food obsessed.  (Read 4734 times)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Re: Greedy cats /kittens- food obsessed.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 13:51:56 PM »
Well, no kitten wet food yesterday and no runs today!
The only trouble is I don't like to feed all dry as I have had problems in the past with Smartie as he got cystitis and ended up on Hills prescription for a long while , but once I got him eating more wet and just grazing on the biscuits he was fine.
The kittens are fed separately in their room at present.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 10:31:33 AM »
I'm sure we fed kitten food til ours were a year old - kitten food is much higher in calories, so maybe they aren't getting enough?

Like liz says maybe feed them seperate kitten food and let them snack on the adult stuff if they want to?
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 08:54:15 AM »
Both of my cats seem food orientated, lots of creeping until they get what they want or sitting by the food bowl for ages. I'm sure it's not easy trying to make sure the others get their fair share. 

As said, the upset tummy could be due to a change in environment, food so hopefully this can be resolved.  It might be hard to tell as I guess they just pinch the food for the others, but are you feeding them about the recommended amount for their body weight?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 06:24:03 AM »
Have to say we had that with our fab 6 kittens Kali, Sherbet, Miami, Houston, Monty and Jaffa I wormed them again on vets advice and fed them "special" kitten food out of the way of the adults and then left them to graze on cat biscuits and the adult food they soon got over the gorging themselves but also may be worth popping a poo sample to the vet to make sure they don't have any nasties as we had to do that with Star when we first got him as he had something that caused the runs and being shaved and in a state when we got him and his size and being underweight and a tad grumpy didn't help him of course now he is in full casting coat and at his good weight

PS they are just being kittens!!! :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 02:00:18 AM »
Yes, wet food once a day half a sachet each , but they were used to only having wet food twice a week .
I want to feed more , but as Cody has constantly been having the runs , I daren't .
The Persian 30 should be here tomorrow or Wednesday hopefully.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 00:25:38 AM »
Yes, I'd think the change in food and/or change in environment has caused the runs. I guess at that age they should be eating a fair bit, are they having anything else besides biscuits?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 22:43:36 PM »
Possibly change of food has upset the tum but then again it could be change of home or eating too much.

I dont know how you resolve it cos of the other cats but Misa is being greedy after not eating and is going round every food dish and pigging himself and then upchucking it all.

All the others eat little and often so need the food down too.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Greedy cats /kittens- food obsessed.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 22:37:05 PM »
Well, these two are absolute pigs where food is concerned , particularly Cody who goes round everywhere like a bloodhound  :Crazy:

My cats are used to having food down all the time and these were used to it at Paulines. I have never really had greedy cats before -its been more the opposite -getting them to eat .

Anyway, They have been having the same bisciuts as mine which are RC Sensible ( mainly because Fifi gets upset tum on any other biscuits )  Pauline and the breeder fed them on Persian 30 ( i used to do , but Smartie got cystitis on these ,so i stopped feeding it ).  Now for the last 4 days Cody has had the runs and i have had to wash him down every time ! Smudgie isnt too bad though .

I have now ordered a sack of RC Persian for them , but still worried as they are so incredibly greedy . They have recently been wormed ( about 6 weeks ago) they are vaccinated , flead and microchipped  as well.
Not sure if its just the change of food , but Cody in particular seems to be obsessed with food and eating -i have had to move all food away after feeding them and off the floor and they still go round sniffing and looking for it .
They have never been starved or without food , so , how do you stop them eating so much ? does it mean i have to take all food up all the time until one cat is hungry as thats nigh on impossible and not really fair on Winston, Pandora and Fifi .

Help !

Forgot to add they are 6 and 7 month old  and have given him Lacto B , but not had much effect on him 1
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 22:38:57 PM by bunglycat »

Link to CatChat