Author Topic: Worried about my cat Tipsy who lost her companion  (Read 1612 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: Worried about my cat Tipsy who lost her companion
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 22:23:23 PM »
So sorry to hear of your loss  :hug:

Sounds exactly to a tee what Nuggie was like after Tazi died. I could of read that and swore i'd written it!

It does improve - some cats quicker than others and even if they werent best of friends, Tipsy is also lost within her status. Once she adjusts she may feel a little more secure within her household again.

I adopted a young cat - this may not always be ideal, can be tad stressful, but some cats just need the company. Nuggie enjoys his new role of boss and certainly gives Peanut a run for his money. Peanut wonders whats wrong if Nuggie is too nice to him lol

Other times, once the grief and loss becomes less painful you may find Tipsy is content being an only cat.

Big hugs to you all  :hug: :hug:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline jogym

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Tipsy, Sam 1996-2012 RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 17:00:25 PM »
My 2 did not really get along either - well she tolerated him more than anything - bless him and was known to give him a gentle swipe as he walked past and a little growl.....but I know she misses him like we all do :(((( because he's not there any more....but the saying is true you aint missed something til it's gone.....

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 16:39:42 PM »
Yes she is grieving and missing her friend, cuddles to her  :hug: :hug:

Not much advice really except loads of attention and gentle comforts so that she knows she is loved.

Grieving in cats can be short lived or last a long time and very much echoes what happens in humans.

So distressing to watch and out of my 3 only Misa grieved for Napoleon and they were never best of friends but he spent a few days very down and looking for him.

Offline jogym

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Tipsy, Sam 1996-2012 RIP
Worried about my cat Tipsy who lost her companion
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 14:21:52 PM »
Just wondered if anyone could give some advice re my cat who lost her companion of 15 years 2 weeks ago.  She is miaowing more at the minute, for attention? and just seems well lost.  She has got really fussy with her food and will only eat from a freshly opened tin/packet.  She has never been one to eat all in one go so she will nibble a few bits then leave but refuses to go back to it.  If the packet has been opened and left in the cupboard she will not eat any more of it.   We are trying different brands and some she will not touch at all.  I feel she is missing my other cat (well she must) and has found herself alone after all this time.  Is this behaviour resulting from that?  This morning she came up and miaowed loudly while we were in bed, we called her and she ended up at the foot of my daughter's bed just lying there.  When you stroke her she purrs loudly - we have been giving her lots of attention.  Am not sure what she wants at the minute.  Don't want her to go downhill also?  Any advice.

Link to CatChat