Author Topic: Bit of a disasterous attempt letting Meg out!!  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
Re: Bit of a disasterous attempt letting Meg out!!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 14:07:27 PM »
Just thought I'd do a little update  :) I've kept on with the harness this week and she's definately gaining in confidence  :) She's still nervous and if she hears a noise she bolts back inside but she's exploring around nicely now  :) I was thinking at the weekend I might leave the harness off and go out with her and she how she fares on her own with the conservataory and kitchen doors open so she can bolt back in when she needs to  :)

We also bought a set of Locator Pet chip thingies as they were half price via Groupon so both Meg and Jasmine have got one on their collars (they're pretty huuuuge though) so hopefully if she does wander off I can track her down!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 14:08:25 PM by Tempest »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 16:03:03 PM »
Yes definately outside she is scared of and pleased she went out by herself and it maybe path sitting is as far as she ever gets  ;D

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 14:21:07 PM »
We had another little attempt today :) Yesterday I was opening a crack in the conservatory doors so she could just get her nose out and have a little sniff and today I put the harness and lead on and just opened the conservatory door a crack so she could stick her nose out - I let it get wider and wider and eventually she stepped out on to the patio and sat there for a while. I moved my leg slightly though and that spooked her and she ran back in but at least it's progress at her own pace :) I don't think she's bothered by the harness it's just being outside that is scary. My plan is to do what we did today a couple of times each day and hopefully her confidence will grow :)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »
I havent used a harness or lead, but maybe just get her used to wearing it in the house a bit first? Then maybe you can gradually introduce her to the outdoors?
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:50:10 AM »
I would certainly leave the outside issue for now.  It sounds like she was nervous during her first trip out and then to hear an unexpected bang has only aggrevated the situation.  When it's warmer I tend to leave my back doors open, so this might be another course of action you could try when things have settled down.  Rather than you taking her out, if the door is open she can judge as and when she may be brave enough to venture out.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 22:04:46 PM »
Agree with Gill, I'd do it just like she suggested - let her do things in her own time. I'd leave it for a while to let her get over her frights, and then try again with the harness and lead on, definitely don't carry her to the door.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 14:38:35 PM »
If she was shaking, she was scared and all the other things that happened scared even more.

Not all cats like going out and you have to let her decide if she wants to or not.

I would keep putting the jacket on if she is not scared of that and then put her on the ground with lead attached and firmly held by you, then open the door and let her decide if she wants to go out...............if she doesnt just shut the door again and remove jacket and lead.

Its good that she has fear of things out there.

I have a 18 month old who is desperaqte to go out but wont wear his jacket and although he has a little bit of fear out side not enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He just wants to run free but its not safe for him.

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
Bit of a disasterous attempt letting Meg out!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 13:40:19 PM »
It's 3 weeks since Meg kitten's spay op so I've been getting her used to wearing a harness jacket in the house and yesterday we had our first attempt outside :) It went well and she explored the garden and Jasmine followed us around. She seemed a bit tentative and was shaking (but I thought that might have been the wind/cold rather than fear). I'd left the back door open and the postman put something through the letterbox so it banged and she pelted back inside (with me attached to the lead!!) and we left it at that as I didn't want to push her.

Yesterday I bought one of the flexi cat leads from Pets at Home as the lead I had was quite short and thought it would give her a bit more freedom. I harnessed her up this morning and we were heading out through the back door when the OH decided he'd come out too and came out behind us and Meg freaked out - she rang back inside yanking the flexi out of my hand and she was running around like a possessed thing with the flexi handle banging into walls and freaking her out even more and we couldn't catch her :( She hid behind the sofa in the end and I managed to coax her out and get the lead off. We let her chill out again I tried again with the fabric lead on rather than the flexi and just held her in my arms while I opened the back door - she freaked again and thrashed about in my arms so I abandoned the attempt. I also tried the same thing later at the conservatory doors as the conservatory is a bit more roomy than the utility room so we could stand further away from the door - she freaked out again.

It just seems so strange as she seemed quite happy yesterday and was enjoying her time in the garden and now she seems totally traumatised :( It's obviously not helped with that silly flexi banging around behind her in the lounge :(

Just wondering what's the best way forward as I don't want to scare her and am just wondering if we should leave things for a while or keep trying each day?

Link to CatChat