Author Topic: A possible feral cat..  (Read 9796 times)

Offline KittyB

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Rusalka, Orpheus, Tosca and Carmen
Re: A possible feral cat..
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 10:13:36 AM »
Thanks for all your help with Noah (that's what I call him). He was in the garden on Sunday looking cleaner and eyes not so gungey. He jumped up at the windowsill so for a brief few seconds I got to look at him close up.

I really think some ones looking after him so I've left it for now but I'll keep my eye on him. Thank you everyone. :)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 17:01:36 PM by KittyB »
Kitty x x x

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 21:02:07 PM »
Hi there. I have trapped three "feral" strays in this way, in the meantime I caught my own cats many times, the neighbours cats frequently and a fox!

Don't worry too much, they settle down quite quickly when they realise they're caught good and proper, and it's easy to release the wrong captee  :) but when you do get the white boy, throw a towel over the trap before transporting him, this will calm him and help you to present the vet with something other than a spitting hate filled nightmare.

Be sure to put a plastic sheet down in your car, as its a dead cert he will wee in the trap the moment you put it on your car seat.  :sick:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 22:58:55 PM »
I wouldn't worry about your OH if he is like mine, he just asks what the vet bill is if I have been trapping :rofl:

Traps can be left overnight in warmer conditions, speaking from experience and many years of trapping I haven't had any damage done to cats who have been trapped overnight

In bad weather I set mine at 7pm and shut down at midnight leaving any food in the trap at the side of it to encourage them to not fear the trap

I trap most weeks and am happy to give pointers if you need them

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 22:20:13 PM »
As long as you only use the trap when you are there to check it, you can let the wrong ones go but hopefully id he is really hungry then you will catch him and then the vet can scan him for chip too

Offline KittyB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 22:13:23 PM »
I just wanted to say don't phone the RSPCA, I phoned them about some feral kittens I found while on holiday and they offered to come out and put them to sleep  :censored: Cat protection helped in the end.

That is so terrible of them  >:(

I will give the cats protection league a ring tomorow night about him - thanks for the advice. My concern about the trap idea is trapping other peoples cats but then I can't see any other way to catch him. I just wish he'd come to me, let me scoop him up in my arms and pop him in the kitty box. Take him to the vets sort him out bring him home. He could do what he likes doesn't need to be a cuddly under the covers snuggle bug like Rusalka he could be just like Tosca who hates to be picked up and you'll very rarely get a cuddle out of her. I don't mind. I Just want to love him :(

But then my poor husband's face when he comes home and I look at him smiling sweetly and say  "look darling I've got another one"  :rofl:
Kitty x x x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 12:14:47 PM »
Phone your local Cats Protection or smaller rescues and ask to borrow a trap and set it with smelly food, usually from Sunday to Thursday is best nights to set the trap then you can take cat in the trap to the vets for any treatments it needs

I find a quick phonecall to the vet to say you are trying to trap a cat prepares them in advance and they will usually just let you pop in with the cat with no appointment as feral traopping is an artform and you can't guarrentee that cat will go in the trap at the first attempt

Also ensure your own cats are in the house the nights you set the trap or they will be in it speaking from experience on that one!!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:56:10 AM »
Hi

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure someone on here will. I just wanted to say don't phone the RSPCA, I phoned them about some feral kittens I found while on holiday and they offered to come out and put them to sleep  :censored: Cat protection helped in the end.

Offline KittyB

• Adult Cat
A possible feral cat..
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:58:32 AM »
We have what I think is a feral cat who comes to visit our garden quite often. He has a white but slightly grubby looking coat. His eyes are a little red and look soar. I have tried to get close to him before but he scratched me and ran away. He is very aloof and feral.
I sometimes offer him little bites to eat (probably why he keeps coming back and Tosca seems to like him) but I'm a little concerned about the gungey eyes. Don't want my lot getting conjuctivitis. Also worried for him if he is in pain.

I've seen him around our neighborhood since we moved in and I often wonder if he could have been abandoned by whoever lived her previously. He does seem quite wild though.

I thought I'd just post this because I am concerned about him but it is sort of tricky to know what to do. If I could pick him up and box him I'd take him to the vets. Get him neutered and vaccinated - but then I don't know if anyone around the neighborhood owns him.

What would you do? I thought about ringing the RSPCA but then he's not always in our garden and like I say someone could own him...

I'll just add we don't live in a rural location. We live in a built up area.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:00:42 AM by KittyB »
Kitty x x x

Link to CatChat