Author Topic: Cat catching tips required!  (Read 3217 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Cat catching tips required!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 10:38:56 AM »
Don't feel too bad. It took me MONTHS to get Chi to trust me; I had to sit in the garden with the infamous chicken slices and he'd take a bit then dart off and muster up confidence to come back for more.

Glad Mr Boots looks better.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:39:18 AM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Lil_Scruff

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Scratchy, Bear, Busta, Bronx, Brooklyn and part-time cats Scruff, Scamp and Scrumpberry
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 21:46:36 PM »
Thanks Gill.

I feel rather disappointed in myself for not being able to get hold of him myself. I like to think I'm quite a friendly face to cats as I usually have no trouble in coaxing cats towards me but this chappie certainly doesn't fancy the looks of me.

For what it's worth I strongly suspect that he's a farmer's cat.

Anyway, hopefully whoever his owner is will take better care of the handsome pud in future. I shall be keeping an eye on him though :)

S.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 19:53:31 PM »
Lets hope he does have an owner as his face is getting better..............go away with peaceful thoughts  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lil_Scruff

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Scratchy, Bear, Busta, Bronx, Brooklyn and part-time cats Scruff, Scamp and Scrumpberry
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 19:31:00 PM »
Hi all,

Sincerest apologies for the lack of updates re Mr Boots. After my first post he went 'off radar' for a good few days hence didn't go down the trap route (I did go looking for him but without luck). It's only in the last 10 days I've spotted him in the area again and thankfully his face is MUCH better so I can only assume that his owner got treatment and kept him in for a while.

I must admit that I'm still puzzled by him and his ownership and still concerned somewhat as I'm pretty sure he's a compete lad. Unfortunately he, unlike all the other cats in the area, is very unsocial and will not approach humans so I haven't been able to get close.

Unfortunately I'm going away soon for a couple of weeks but I am keeping an eye on him as best as I can.

Thanks again all and apologies for lack of updates  :hug:

S.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 10:49:23 AM »
Any update on this Sarah? My friend has just 'caught' a cat with what is thought to be a cat bite /abcess gone bad. Poor thing had to have a lot of dead skin taken away and is left with an angry looking large patch!  :'(

Have you tried the local CP for a trap? Whiskas Oh So Fishy is good bait! Good luck!

xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 09:06:50 AM »
Any more Mr Boots viewings? If you have seen him again, I think you should be privy to the knowledge that you can call the RSPCA and get a reference number for veterinary treatment to be done on cats you think are stray. (Make sure YOU get the number, though. The RSPCA tell you on the line that it's OK for the vets to call and organise things but then make it really hard to sort out. They did this to me, and it was mightily embarrassing.)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Lil_Scruff

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:13:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies all.... I put some food out yesterday (smelly wet stuff!) in a position where I could view the bowl from the window and that didn't attract any attention and upon inspection this morning it appears that the bowl saw no action overnight!

I'm somewhat reluctant to use a trap as there are quite a few cats in the area whom belong to the neighbours and I wouldn't want one getting trapped overnight especially as it's been a bit nippy the last two nights. Also my local rescue is Paws Inn and with T just coming out of hospital I want her to rest!

I'm hoping that as I didn't see 'Mr Boots', as I've nicknamed him, again yesterday that he DOES have a home and his owners have decided to keep him in whilst they get his health sorted. He is a well fed looking cat hence I've not been concerned in the past - until spotting this head wound/bald patch the reason I wondered if he was a stray was because he's black with a white underbelly and boots and the white was looking grubby.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled today and will update accordingly! I have a large cat carrier ready and waiting in the hall should any activity occur.

Thanks again all!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 00:37:12 AM »
Poor boy  :( I guess the quickest way is going to be a cat trap, could you borrow one from Paws Inn? He's lucky that you are looking out for him, hope you manage to catch him  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 13:02:07 PM »
Can you borrow a trap or the next best thing is start ot feed him and encourage him in, you could also get some Liquid Synulox from the vet and start adding it to the food to help with the infection, added to wet food it is quite good, I use it on the outside ferals when I see them looing not so great and it soon perks them up

Go for really smelly food - pilchards in tomato sauce is a good incentive and regular feeding enocourages them to come in, also if you can get close the paper collar technique works to

We wish you very good luck with getting this boy ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:16:09 PM »
The best idea would be to borrow a trap from a local rescue and put the food in there and then get him straight off to the vets.

Offline Lil_Scruff

• Adult Cat
Cat catching tips required!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:58:39 AM »
Hi all,

Some might know me as the greedy one who 'catknapped' three of Teresa's Paws Inn babies within the space of about 6 months a couple of years ago  :evillaugh:

I'm after a bit of advice...I've seen a cat in the area quite a bit recently which I've wondered if it could be a stray as he's looked a bit scruffy but well fed. Today when I was on the phone and looking out of the window I saw him trot through the garden but saw that his face was in an awful mess, you could see the flesh on almost half of the entire face of the poor lad. (edit - I'm quite certain he is an entire Tom as I've smelt a very, very strong tom smell in the garden recently which I think is his)

I want to catch him and take him to my vets for a microchip scan and also potential treatment. As a cat lover I don't mind covering the cost although I'm obviously a little reluctant to spend lots of money on someone else's cat.

I've not approached the cat before and not sure where to start.... my home office overlooks our driveway (where I've spotted him a few times) and I've put a bowl of food out where I can see it with the hope it will attract him.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Sarah

PS our cats are all house cats and have not come into contact with this cat I am trying to catch.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:59:57 AM by Lil_Scruff »

Link to CatChat