Author Topic: Acne  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
  • A meow massages the heart
  • Slave to: Motown, Drum & our beautiful baby Bass RIP
Re: Acne
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 11:05:20 AM »
Hiya TM

Yeah it was hard to get a picture that shows it the way we see it in the light... Nope, not sore, but it has appeared only recently and I just don't think it is dirt but it might well be..  we originally thought she'd maybe caused some balding by rubbing too much but then I stumbled across the acne info... I think as long as it isn't bothering her we'll see how it goes...  :)

Am very chuffed with the fencing, hoping to get it up over the next couple of weeks or so and will certainly post pictures once it's up. I have no idea if all the bits are there but for £95 it seemed a good start as long as we have the right amount of poles and brackets the rest of the stuff should be ok to get from a DIY store...

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 00:46:49 AM »
The photo is a bit grainy (but beautiful nonetheless!) but I'm wondering if the fact that she is all white is simply showing up the dirt more prominently on her face - could it be debris from her dinner or does the skin look sore?

In better news I managed to purchase all the poles and brackets for a full free standing Purrfect fence from a Friday Ad for £95. Just need to buy some actual wire and probably a few replacement bolts and we should be able to construct a damn near perfect cat garden!  ;D

Bargain  :wow: I bet they'll love frolicking in the garden together ;D Would be interested in pics once it's up and running, my Mum is looking for a new house at the moment so looking at lots of properties on rightmove and am always drawn back to my situation and it's surprising how many of the gardens wouldn't be suitable for conventional cat proofing attached to the fence so purrfect would be the only option.

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 14:51:02 PM »
Hey Rosella   :thanks:

Hope you are well   :)

Thanks so much for that, I guess we will take a little trip to the vet for a sure diagnosis. She seems totally unbothered by it to be honest but I just didn't want it to get any worse and start making her unhappy, although I wonder if it will just clear up and if she were a black cat I'd just never have known anyway!
Maybe I'll ditch the plastic fountain in favour of a steel one, give it a week to see and go to the vets if no better.

In better news I managed to purchase all the poles and brackets for a full free standing Purrfect fence from a Friday Ad for £95. Just need to buy some actual wire and probably a few replacement bolts and we should be able to construct a damn near perfect cat garden!  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 13:53:25 PM »
Dinah has had it recently and, although that article doesn't mention AB jabs, that's what cleared Dinah's. 

"The chin .... have black spots (comedones) on it, which look like dirt.  Secondary infection may lead to swollen, red, pustules, leading to bleeding due to irritation"  That's a good description of Dinah's condition although all cleared up now.

Two lots of convenia jabs over 4 weeks and cleaning area daily with warm water and cotton wool (it was quite sore looking so worse than Bass).  Vet suggested we also try hibiscrub to clean area but the bottle we got had too many warnings on it so didn't bother.  I told vet who poo poo'd the warnings as they use hibiscrub in surgery every day!

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:00:37 PM »
Thanks Sheila!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:46:44 AM »
Hi Bee,

this is quite an informative article from the Australians

http://www.cat-world.com.au/feline-acne

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
Acne
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:41:18 AM »
Good Morning All

It's been a long weekend of human and cat ailments!  ;)
OH's root canal infection now seelingly under control, I have time to ask whether anyone here has any experience of feline acne?
We think Bass might have this on her upper lip. I've posted a picture but it's kind of hard to see really... mostly her upper lip looks dark and slightly like it is balding but I actually think it's not balding just darker as I say and it's prominent because she is white.
Really I just want to know the best way to treat it and if I need to go to the vet or if I could try something else first?
Both girls have ceramic bowls which are washed after every feed, but Bass moreso than Drum is a bit of a messy and very fast eater and tends to stick her face in everything.
They do have a plastic catmate water foundtain, so I'm wondering now if we should trash that and go back to ceramic water bowls... unless anyone knows of a metal or ceramic fountain?
Any suggestions out there?
Hope everyone is well and had good weekends  :)

Link to CatChat