Author Topic: Post op swelling..........  (Read 1478 times)

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
Re: Post op swelling..........
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 20:10:16 PM »
Ginger had problems with her spay wound and it got infected and was swollen for quite a while after the infection went. I phoned and asked to speak to a vet and just explained that I was worrying about it and they put my mind at ease and dealt with it, obviously Ginger is different because her was definetly infected, but maybe phone and ask to speak to a vet and see what they say?
 :) gentle snoozles and headbutts to her
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 20:05:56 PM »
The nurse did take her temp on Friday and that was normal :) She's absolutely fine in herself and I wondered if some level of swelling is normal?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 19:34:35 PM »
I think post op checks should be done by a vet, not a nurse and I being the worrying sort would get her back to the vets now  :hug: :hug:

Are her ears warm to the touch? This could be sign of a temperature.

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
Post op swelling..........
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 19:22:22 PM »
Meg kitten had her spay op last week and they did it underneath her rather than on the side (which I think is called a mid-line spay?). I think it's just as the head vet is an Aussie vet and that's the way she likes to do them :)

Meg had her post op check last Friday with the nurse and all was fine but there was some swelling at the base of the wound (it kinda sticks out like a little lump) and she said to just keep an eye on it really and that sometimes fluid can build up but she wasn't unduly worried :)

I've been checking the wound daily and the swelling has just stayed the same really  :scared: She's got to be in the buster collar until Friday and then it can come off but I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience of post op swelling and how long it normally takes to go down? I thought if it's still the same by next week I might need to take her back? On the plus side the wound itself looks like it's healing up perfectly :)

Link to CatChat