Author Topic: felimazole?  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: felimazole?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 21:13:36 PM »
Wow Wiggins, you did great there and I didnt know about this but really good to know, thanks  ;D

Offline Wiggins

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Wiggins & friends
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 20:14:59 PM »
Wiggins....How did you find he 1131, would you recommend it? How long did you have to isolate the cat for?

Hi - One of my girls had it in November 2010 and then six months later her brother was diagnosed with hyper-t too so he had his I131 in August last year. If the cats can cope with the time away from home (2-4 weeks depending on which centre you go to, though some of them will let you negotiate 'early release' if you are willing to follow a couple of extra precautions), then I think it's a good option. I was nervous about surgery and despite this being the first ever vet stay for Tess and Tiger, it just seemed safer and less invasive, plus neither of my cats had huge thyroids, so I131 made sense in case it was ectopic.

The actual I131 was a injection in the scruff, with no need for any sedation at all. They then spent a week in the 'hot room' where contact with humans is minimal (though they can admit some meds). After that, it was two weeks on the ward. The pens were about 2-3 foot square and the same in height, had two levels with shelves and they also popped some cardboard boxes in for Tiger who was a bit of a scaredy cat! I also sent a bed with them so they had something familiar.

The only 2 downsides were that both came back hypo-t though I was told that's often the case with either I131 or surgery and it often goes back to normal. Tess' did go back to normal but Tiger's T4 is still a bit low at 10. They're recommending we don't supplement him as he's asymptomatic. He's due to go back for bloods and a repeat ultrasound for what we hope is IBD as opposed to lymphoma in August.

The other downside is cost. It was approx. £2,200 each which is mainly because of the 3 week hospitalisation. Tess was completely covered by her insurance but I paid 20% of the cost with Tiger because he was a year older by the time he had his. That pushed us into the excess+20% Petplan has when they get older! Even so, I couldn't do it for one and not the other!

To sum up though, the lengthy hospitalisation is very frustrating but everything weighed up, yes I would recommend it.  :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 21:43:19 PM »
That's a very kind thought paddypaws, no problems with offering it on here  :hug:

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 21:34:46 PM »
thanks for the replies!
I actually have some that I am looking to give away but am not sure if I am allowed to put that on here ( mods?? )
Wiggins....How did you find he 1131, would you recommend it? How long did you have to isolate the cat for?

Offline Wiggins

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Wiggins & friends
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 16:26:30 PM »
Hi Paddypaws - one of my cats was on felimazole for a couple of months prior to her I131. She stabilised on a medium-dose. She seemed to tolerate it better than Vidalta which we tried her on first. That made her vomit and also gave her bald patches between her eyes and ears. Funnily enough, her brother tolerated the Vidalta fine.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 16:54:17 PM by Wiggins »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
felimazole?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:46:08 AM »
She's not with me any longer but my childhood cat Tiggy was on Felimazole for over 5 years from the age of 14-19 and did very well on them. It took a while to get the dose right and I think we ended up on something like 2-2-1-2-2-1

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:03:08 AM »
Hi Paddypaws

I think there are a few people on here who have cats on Felimazole.

We were on it initially when Schmoo was first diagnosed HT a few years ago, but we couldnt stabilise her on them unfortunately, so we switched to Vidalta and shes been on those ever since.

Helen

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
felimazole?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:43:06 AM »
Anyone have a cat that has been prescribed Felimazole for HT?

Link to CatChat