Author Topic: Anyone got a cat who gets cystitis?  (Read 4546 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Anyone got a cat who gets cystitis?
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 18:42:34 PM »
You need to relax aqs cats pick up there humans stress  :hug: :hug:

I hope Lottie stays well  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 14:50:56 PM »
Gill, Lottie still looks good today.  Dare I relax?! 

I think I will be able to juggle cat sitters, but just need to sort out what's best and when.  My mother-in-law has stayed the odd night in the past, I have two different neighbours who have looked after them for weekends - the usual one is older but doesn't care how much she has to pop in and has been known to sit with Lottie and keep her company.  Lottie always gets up for the other neighbour and starts to eat (so they know she's had her food with cystease) but works early so is best to do the evening session.  I don't need to worry about my other cat, he will visit them whether they like it or not! 

The vet has already made a note of when I'm away, but I will leave them with a list of carers and my thoughts on care/treatment during certain circumstances. If I'm away I usually leave carers with two full A4 sheets on signs of cystitis, treatment, encouragement on eating, loading into cat carrier. Only a cat owner would do this!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 17:24:49 PM »
Think you were cut off in your prime  ;) ;)

Sounds good for Lottie at the moment but as you say what when you go away!

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 10:59:29 AM »
Just to say things are looking good for Lottie's cystitis.  She has wet in the house a couple of times (only does it around the time of cystitis), but has been weeing 3/4 times a day with no blood for eight days now (usually it can go away for up to four days and re-occur).  I was away at the weekend and we had to have a workmen here yesterday which she wasn't happy about. She wants to play alot and is spending more like in the conservatory and a little outside now it's warmer, which I think can only relieve any possible stress..

Just need to worry what I'm going to do about her and cat care when we go away in a few months. The person who normally does it can't!  Neighbour is really good and will come in and sit with her if we are away for long weekends, but a week is a bit much. Lottie having

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 13:11:51 PM »
More than I can say for us , see my post !
Off to the vets later.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 10:16:39 AM »
glad it went well!

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 10:13:58 AM »
My hubby had very strict instructions re: feeding this time and I came back to no problems!.  When Lottie has had a few bad hours she often goes and sits with my ten year old, so at least she was here for reassurance as well.  A good friend who lives in a different part of the country is immigrating and we were meeting mid-way so I really didn't want to give up seeing her for the last chance in a few years.   Unfortunately a workman has turned up to work outside today, so I hope that won't trigger her cystitis (I've put him off when Lottie's cystitis first started and the work does need doing so I can't do it again!).  Funnily enough she did cope really well in November when we had to have a new boiler and kitchen electrics done.

Bunglycat, hope Fifi will make a quick recovery - I sympathcize!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 13:24:01 PM »
Well, Fifi has just gone her 6 months and hers is back again, just got back from the vets!

No idea why she gets it , I never go away either , there are no other cats come into the garden as if mine are out so am I or the door/ window is open and I can see them .they can't get out the garden , they don't fight or bother each other , except Winston is in love with Pandora and they are often together .

So , no reason ,except she will not eat wet food ! I have even soaked her biscuits and took the dry ones up , but she has only had a few.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 11:16:40 AM »
I've no plans to give up going away myself and don't think pets are a reason to but it is a personal choice

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 19:08:04 PM »
hope all is well while you are away, you can't not do anything just because  you have pets, I'm sure your oh will get the message after last time!

Well I have never had a holiday since having Kocka in the early 90s and dont go away ever.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 16:25:38 PM »
hope all is well while you are away, you can't not do anything just because  you have pets, I'm sure your oh will get the message after last time!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 14:14:51 PM »
Well there you have enough stress triggers to give her cystitus for ages!

You going away
OH not feeding her correctly
Someone eating her food

And the first on the list will probably be the main trigger cos everything she gets from you, love, security, food and just normal life for her goes in one swoop.

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »
Just an update for anyone who has kindly followed this thread.  Lottie hasn't had any cystitis for five days now which is looking hopeful. She is on her last day of anti-biotics.  I'm away over the weekend, so I will have to make it clear to my husband to put her food with cystease in right under her nose.  Last time she was getting over cystitis and he thought putting cystease in the bowl and down was sufficient.  He wasn't worried when her brother walked through the cat flap and scoffed the lot.  I wasn't amused when her cystitis flared up the day after my return! 

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 11:03:46 AM »
Thanks for your reply Cutecats.  Glad to hear you've found something that works for your babies.  My vet said that in my cat's case, the best thing she can have is wet food.  She hasn't had her urine tested for nearly two years though, so if this continues and she has another urine analysis I will know if there are any changes, ie crystals, which may be helped by a change in diet.  I will just have to wait and see if the inflammatory and anti-biotics do the trick!!

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 16:52:20 PM »
Two of ours are prone to it, but are kept on Hills CD food and that seems to work fine.

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 10:40:03 AM »
My vet said the cause was idiopathic, ie unexplained.  I've been trying to work out a trigger this time, but can only come up with  the fact I had new toiletries at Christmas and maybe she doesn't like one of them so have stopped using for now!  Everything is good with the humans in the house and she coped well in November with two men installing new boiler, electrician repairing lighting circuit and oven repairman!  No change in diet.  She doesn't like to go out much in the winter though, so maybe on this occasion feels a little stressed being in all the time. 

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 22:04:08 PM »
Amber is definately stress related which as Im an anxiety/depresive/worrying so and so isnt good.

The fact that my vet said aww isnt is sweet she loves you so much didnt help which is why if I know stress is coming up I do the feliway and if Im honest I can tell. If the feliway isnt on Amber comes to me for cuddles if it is on shes happy to sleep under the bed unless its freezing in which case Im the warmest option

love
tab

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 18:49:08 PM »
Maybe you need to start thinking about when this starts and what is happening or not, around her at the time, keeping a diary would help.

I suspect it is stress related and also could be related to how you are feeling at the time cos cats pick up on stress we dont even know we have and also to little changes in their environment.

Ijope she recovers quick  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 16:29:39 PM »
Sorry to hear this  :shy: Have the vets ever mentioned what causes the cystitis? If it's stress related it might be worth considering asking for a referral to a behaviourist  :hug:

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 16:22:01 PM »
Can't believe it (well I can!), got woken up at 3am with Lottie scratching around!  I had been hoping to avoid a vet's visit and cope with it myself, but in the end I took her this morning.  She's had an anti-inflammatory injection, anti-biotics as a precaution and is to continue on two cystease daily. If I get any more blood after 3/4 days, the vet will give her another anti-inflammatory.

No idea why it starts in the middle of the night, but I desperately need some beauty sleep. 

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 17:38:34 PM »
You do learn to recognise the signs. The did give me metacam liquid one time but that made her tummy runny and sick so she has to have the injection.
Hope you get some sleep
love
Tab

PS why is it always the middle of the night they start?

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 13:32:21 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Tab.  I think you soon become aware of the signs of cystitis and act on it ASAP in whatever way you feel is right. During this present bout Lottie has gone a maximum of four days without any signs and four days are up in the early hours of tomorrow - fingers crossed she won't wake me up!

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 11:24:50 AM »
My Amber has idiopathic cystitis bouts. She normally gets them when Im stressed or upset about something which isnt helpful to me. I give her a cystease daily sprinkled on food and if I know a rough time is coming up like christmas when I was away a few days I have a feliway plug turned on. When she starts I take her to the vet and she has a metacam injection and anti inflam I think and shes usually fine by the next day. Now I tend to recognise the signs as she yowls and goes backwards and forwards to the tray so take her to the vet straight away. The only time Ive had to take her back to the vet was after my older cat died and Amber had 2 bouts in a month but normally its every christmas  :evillaugh:
I hope Lotties ok
love
Tab

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 18:46:08 PM »
Lets hope Lottie lets you get some sleep too .............soon  :hug:

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 16:58:07 PM »
Thanks for your best wishes.  My cat's name is Lottie!  It appears she's weeing okay today, but it seems to come back every 3/4 days in the early hours so I've been suffering from lack of sleep due to her scratching around everywhere, making sure she eats food with cystease in it and then cleaning up.  She's happily asleep upstairs, catching up on her beauty sleep.  Wish I could do the same!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 15:40:55 PM »
No experience of cystitis, just wanted to send get well wishes her way :care:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 15:01:08 PM »
Whats your cats name Lotzy?

I do hope that everything goes well and so understand about a cat hating the vets  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:17:59 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  It's good to compare notes with someone else who knows how distressing it can be for cat and owner, although I was sorry to hear about Sophie.   I'm trying to manage this myself with cystease and lots of liquid (the anti-biotics and anti-inflammatories the vet gave last time didn't seem to make a difference, but the vet's visits traumatised her and we couldn't get near her generally).  Having said that, if she starts passing blood again during this bout or gets another lot of cystitis within a month or so of this lot clearing, then I will have to give in and go to the vet.  If it goes on, I will certainly ask about a scan as I'm aware each time she gets cystitis it must be opening up the changes of problems or weaknesses in that area in the future.

Although, I hate going through this with her, I'm lucky that she will eat wet food (to which I'm adding a little water at the moment) and I'm giving her a little cat milk with water added.  She's been okay since yesterday morning, so will just have to wait and see.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 22:45:05 PM »
Please ask the vet for a scan too.
I thought Sophie had cystitis and she had only ever had it once ,years ago.
She was passing bloody urine and was treated for 10 days with no change.  She had a scan and found out it was bladder cancer and she was passing loads of blood clots.  She was almost 18 .

On the other hand I have Fifi who I got when she was 10 and almost 14 now. She had had cystitis almost every year . Last time it took forever to clear up and as she is hard to pill, she had injections every day for 10 days before it cleared up , I think it was anti robe that sorted it out.
I couldn't even open cyst ease capsules to sprinkle on her food as she won't eat wet food , which I think is part of the problem .

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
Anyone got a cat who gets cystitis?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 19:17:37 PM »
My girl gets cystitis and I'm lucky to have gone 16 months without an outbreak.  Last time she had it for a month and we took her to the vet four times which made no difference, except that she became terrified if we went near her.  She presently has had it on and off for two weeks.  She's passing bloody urine and clots for 2/3 hours, then just wees more for a new days and just as things are back to normal the whole process starts over again (usually in the early hours, so no sleep for me!).  I keep her on a maintenace dose of 1 cystease daily, which is upped during an outbreak to 2 daily and the vet previously said I could feed her 1/2 Royal Canin urinary so during an outbreak which helps idiopathic cystitis.

If anyone has a cat who gets cysitits, can I ask a few questions.  How long does an outbreak take to clear up?  Is the cystitis constant, or does it come and go?  Do they pass bloody urine/blood clots?   What sort of mainteance dose of cystease/cystaid are they on?  How many cystease/cystaid are they on during an outbreak (I seem to recall reading that someone gave their cat 3 a day)?   I know no two cats are the same, but it would just be interesting to compare notes at this distressing time.

The vet confirmed it was cystitis following an xray and urine analysis.  She's previously had six lots and I think she's gone so long as the cystease has greatly helped and swapping over to a 100% wet diet (to which I'm presently adding a little water).

Link to CatChat