Author Topic: Worried About Nuggie - Vets Tomorrow  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Worried About Nuggie - Vets Tomorrow
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 00:17:03 AM »
Misa went to the vets about 3 weeks ago and had jabs but sadly he is still not eating properly and he seems to hate all the food he like before.

So need ideas of new food for him, he doesnt eat chunks.

He has been stealing Sasas food but thats not the right food for him and it has her meds in it.

Lupin is not very visable at present, thinks its cos he has been walking round the garden two days running and quite tired.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 22:20:46 PM »
oh bless him  :hug: :hug:

its terrifying to think what they've been through before they got the homes they deserve  :-[ i cant comprehend the mindless cruelty sometimes  >:( >:( i'm so glad kind people like yourself exist  :Luv2:

sounds lovely how they both play  :Luv2: and good for Lupin who i'm sure has plenty of energy  :evillaugh:
I hope Misa's eating has picked up now - if theres things going around he may just be feeling a little under the weather  :hug: :hug:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2012, 00:23:48 AM »
No Misa has nobody else to feed him, they dont like cats round here. He just isnt eating as much as he was.

He is like a kitten in a big cats body cos he has never learned lots of things cos his first 4 years were terrible and he was taken to be pts and saved by the vet. I got him a week after he arrived with CP along with Sasa who had been there over a year.

He is terrified of other people, cans   and the first time I had a hat on, I thought he was going to attack me.

Lupin and him play woppy paws through the curtains and Lupin lies in wait for him. Misa is so sweet and soft and gentle and he is a mystified by Lupin.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2012, 00:06:30 AM »
So pleased that Nuggie is Ok, he is the same age as giant Misa who I took to the vets about 3 weeks ago cos he wasnt eating!

He had lost half a kilo and as the vet said, he could afford to lose it, I just dont like feeling his spine and shoulder blades cos never have before!

On reflection I wonder if his lack of eating was due to him no longer going out..........timing about right..........he is eating now but not as much as before and I allow him out once a day........twice yesterday!

I know what you mean Gill...I've never felt Nuggies bones before ( :rofl:) and its not nice!! his spine isnt so prominent but his shoulders were and i also noticed he'd slimmed down on his hips - but I dont know whether that was him being ill or whether it is natural muscle wastage of the more mature feline??

Poor Misa!  :hug: I hope it is just due to him no longer going out (if he's anything like Tazi, he had a "feeder" on every street! I found out that he had been stealing the hedgehog food from aunties....who after i'd only lived here a week she already knew Tazi very well  :shify:  :evillaugh:)
I know Nuggie (and Tazi) ate less during warmer weather and they naturally slimmed down in the summer. Peanut is a wee slip of a lad so not sure he could deal with a bout of no food lol
Eesh, they have you worrying so much dont they?  :doh:

:rofl:  I'm very glad to hear that normal Nuggie service has resumed! And that Peenew is less snotty   :rofl:

He's definitely resumed normal service  :rofl: :rofl: grumpy old man he is  :rofl: its probably Peenews snotting and wind issues that gets him a punch on the nose LOL my old fella Tazi had a severe cold last year and Nuggie kept punching him and hissing cos the poor thing sounded like Darth Vader  :shify: :evillaugh: difference was Tazi wasnt shy on punching Nuggie back into his place  :rofl:

Him and Peenew have the strangest relationship... :shocked: they go from friends to enemies in minutes and i often wonder if its because Nuggie suddenly remembers hes meant to hate him  :rofl: :rofl: Cats are so funny  :rofl:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 21:38:05 PM »
 :rofl:  I'm very glad to hear that normal Nuggie service has resumed! And that Peenew is less snotty   :rofl:
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 13:18:55 PM »
So pleased that Nuggie is Ok, he is the same age as giant Misa who I took to the vets about 3 weeks ago cos he wasnt eating!

He had lost half a kilo and as the vet said, he could afford to lose it, I just dont like feeling his spine and shoulder blades cos never have before!

On reflection I wonder if his lack of eating was due to him no longer going out..........timing about right..........he is eating now but not as much as before and I allow him out once a day........twice yesterday!

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 09:23:51 AM »
Thanks everyone  :hug: :hug:  :thanks:

Nuggie has picked up quite a bit and eating a bit better and i think - just like everyone suspected - that hes had a dodgey belly (probably from eating something that didnt like him) ....but the worry is immense, especially as he is nearly ten and i know its not old for some cats but poor Taz didnt see his 14th Birthday  :-: :-: so knowing that apart from this he is in good shape has been such a relief  :Crazy: they will be the death of me! LOL

and mad-lilli Nuggie too, is hardly wasting away either  :evillaugh: he is a very big, solid cat but he still has the weight to spare - probably why i was the only one to notice  :rofl:   

...Fankoo my fwend Sly an likkle Luupin an my cusin Grouchie  :) :) i wuz feelin ruff fore a wiles buh now i is bak to keepin dat Peenew in lyne  :evillaugh: altho he still snots evva now an agen :shify: an still smelleh  :sick:  :evillaugh: buh da laydee in blew coats ses dat i has lykes sooper fits insydes  :) :)
wish meens dat Peenew has gots meh fore a wiles yet  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :rofl:
Big hugs to yew alls fore bein such gud fwends  :hug: ....*cough*  :shify: jus big man hugs tho  :shify: *cough*
Nuggie  :) x
...an a big hugs aeanjiwptni  fwom me - der Peenew  ;D if dat Nuggie will jus oergmtgempcmv mooooves owt der way of puter  >:( he jus rooins wrjnwi[oi all mah typingsdjfniwe  :censored: jeez bruvvas eh??  :-[ :-[  :doh:   :Luv: Pe-dnvfmlsngtgb-enew x
darn it  >:(

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 18:20:55 PM »
So glad to hear the good news   :hug: to them both and worried Mumk

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 15:52:56 PM »
Excellent news  :) Hope it's not too long before they're both fighting fit  ;D

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 09:18:15 AM »
Glad everything seems ok - hope they are both recovering soon!  :hug:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 22:42:57 PM »
Wow my frends Nuggie and Peenew so pleased you is good  ;D

Bounce bounce bounce

LuuuuuuupiN

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 22:35:49 PM »
Delighted and relieved here cuz  :hug: :phew:

Grouchie Lad
x (inna boy sorta way  ;) )

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 21:32:12 PM »
 :wooooo:

Sez Sly da Sly. Bak to nowmils den Nugs?

Bownsi bownsi  :clap:

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 21:26:03 PM »
 :yesss:  Brilliant news!
I had a similar scare with Lilli this time last year as she had lost a little weight and looked a bit craggy. So off she went for her senior health checks including a morning for them to collect some wee. Me stressing out, crying inconsolably and fearing the worst while I waited for the verdict.

Results  came back and vet said Lilli was in great shape for her age and could stand to lose another pound or two  :-[

Cuddles for you all!  :hug: :hug: :hug:  and some more  :drink:  for mum! And Peenew - no more snot showers for mum!
I'll love you forever

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 21:07:50 PM »
Thank you for all the well wishes  :thanks: :thanks:  :hug: :hug:

All is Great!!  :cheer: :dance: :yayyy: :cheer:
Nuggie's Bloods came back normal  :boxer:
....normal Liver/Kidney Function, no Diabetes and normal red/white blood cells and everything else clear *phew*
So....just need to take him back next week if he doesnt improve, but i'm going to perhaps try a gentler food and give him fresh chicken to allow his stomach to settle properly  :)
but its put my mind at rest and separate from him being poorly at the minute - given his age, I'm pleased he is a healthy boy  ;D ;D ;D

Peanut is also improving  ;D only been "snotted" in the face once since the vet  :yuk: and although the odd sneezing frenzy i think the antibiotic was the boost he needed  ;D
- Gill, I didnt get Bisolven for him, but was given it for Tazi once before and it is really good. If he's still the same after the weekend I might ask for it?

But on the whole I'm happy  :calm: even though the boys arent on top form and I clearly got myself all overly worried for things I used to take in my stride really..... :doh: :doh:

Thank you all for your support & advice for this Panicky Mammy!  :hug: :hug:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 22:18:35 PM »
Snoozles for the two  :sick:  boys. I hope the results for Nuggie are good.  :hug: :hug: and  :drink:  for mum. Xxx
I'll love you forever

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 18:44:46 PM »
Has the vet given you some bisolven for Peanuts nose, it breaks down the cattargh and is just a white powede and you use a pinch on food.

It worked for Napoleon and Ducha who were very bad a year ago.

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 16:05:04 PM »
bless you its soo stressful when you know there is something not right but have no idea what it is! Hoping it all comes back clear for you and tissues for peanut lol
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 15:39:58 PM »
Ahh, that's very positive. Fingers still crossed for Nuggie's bloods and Peenew's snotty nose/eyes.

These are for you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 00:10:29 AM »
Thanks Gill  :hug: :hug:

Hopefully he will be given a clean bill of health and if they do find anything it can be treated early  :)

Poor Peanut has just been sneezing and clunky eyes, but generally fit and well. I worried with him coming from the rescue he'd pick something up, as it does happen but Vet doesnt think its anything to overly worry about other than a cold  :)

:hug: :hug: Nuggie & Peenew send Lupin purrs & hugs  :hug: :hug: (and a big hug for Sasa too  :Luv:)

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 23:17:28 PM »
Sending loads of good wishes for Nuggie and hope the results are good, Lupin sends a cuddle too  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Also sending good wishes for Peanut  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 23:05:59 PM »
Thank you all for the words of comfort and advice  :hug: :hug:

:shify: it is also comforting to know that I am not the only person with cat poo photos  :shify: much like that saying - "if you died tomorrow, would you be happy with what people will find on your PC" I can say that I pity who ever cruises my phone they'd think i'd I was some sort of Feline Fetish Freak. Their memories of me forever tarnished  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Vet was very good  :) she said that she couldnt feel any sort of mass in his stomach  ;D but as Nuggie prefers to use the surrounding gardens ( :shify: sorry neighbours!) rather than the litter tray a time scale or whether its a one off or regular occurance is hard to determine - so she opted for a full bloods, if I wanted to go ahead - so he will have a full screen and the results should be back by Thursday. She also gave him an antibiotic injection as a precautionary measure until the results come back  :) She was concerned with the increase in water drinking and under them ulta bright lights his fur looked very be-draggled  :shy:  another shock  :shy: so kidneys everything will be checked.

So i'm happy (albeit nervous too!) that he will have an MOT. She was really good and helpful.
She certainly didnt give me the impression that he was in a dire situation  :) and that, like everyone has said it could be an upset stomach, worming etc, or just generally under the weather - but I think the Blood Test will at least put my mind at rest and better now than if he got really poorly  :hug:

Nuggie was very brave and was a model patient...although he cried like he was headed for the Abattoir all the way there and back  :rofl: :rofl:

and also not to miss out Peanut has had a flu/cold so he was also taken, sneeze ridden and snotty eyed, but a touch of sinititus and nothing respiratory...what a week!!....but he too had an injection, which I'm sure Nuggie will snigger about LOL
 :drama: think i need a few units :drink:   :evillaugh:

Thank you all so much  :Luv2: :Luv2: and heres to good news Thursday!!  :) :)

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 22:00:35 PM »
We all hope the vet has given Nuggie a clean bill of health or at least something to make him feel better. Xxxx
I'll love you forever

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 19:21:12 PM »
Any news on Nuggie?  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 15:45:31 PM »
I agree with Sheila as Lupin had a bad tummy for ages and ages but in the end no tests were done.

He still pongs something chronic and for firsttime yesterday he was a bit runny and probable all this other food he is eating.

I think pong goes along side with what food they eat and all mine pong except ducha who is into minimalist food  :shify: :shify:

I hope all goes well at the vets  :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 14:19:54 PM »
Love the fact you've got poo photos  :sick: :rofl:

Haven't we all?  :-:  I know I have a Noni one somewhere  :innocent:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 09:41:25 AM »
Hope nuggie is ok and behaves himself at the vets  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 09:00:36 AM »
Pursley had a GE bacterial infection that led to long streaks of bright red blood and mucus in her poop (and may I also mention the stench that came off it - it woke us up every morning it was so bad).

A shot of covenia sorted it out, same as Helen's experience with the adorable Lu.  :Luv2:

Vet did remark that Pursley needed worming as he found tapeworm segments (like little tomato seeds) near her bum, which he thinks didn't help matters, but at that time her worming was up to date. Worming is a bit like MOTing your car - it can be weeks, months or days before they get re-infected (or a tail-light goes) so it's not a reflection on you if Nuggie has some worm issues now.

If you have a droncit or drontal treatment handy, I would worm Nuggie today, that's the first thing the vet will do and he'll charge you a tenner for it.

As for collecting a stool sample - golden rule - Fresh fresh fresh! Any meaningful bacteria deteriorates within 48 hours, so if you're asked to collect a sample for analysis make sure you get it to the vet before Thursday otherwise it could sit in the fridge all week-end and be useless by the time the lab gets it on Monday.   :doh:

You might want to query the cost of the stool tests against trying some standard measures (ie worming and covenia) first, as tests can be never-ending and inconclusive. Depends how much you trust your vet but my (very decent) vet always does the bare minimum necessary and is generally spot on.

Love the fact you've got poo photos  :sick: :rofl:

Oh, and Funkie - you're a great Meowmi.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 08:12:27 AM »
oscar has had that in the past, vet wasn't overly concerned, hopefully the same in your case

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Worried About Nuggie - Vets Tomorrow
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 00:12:02 AM »
Hope it's nothing untoward :hug: I'm sure I read that blood in the stool of a cat isn't as serious as blood in human stool so needn't always be a massive cause for concern.

Lu had an episode a few months ago, it was very mucus-y and had some blood in. He had a bit if a temperature so had a long lasting antibiotic jab along with some sensitive food and was back to normal within a few days, hope it's the same with Nuggie :hug:

Normally with a sample they like you to collect three separate 'offerings' in one sample as any nasties may not show up in just one sample.

Do let us know how he gets on :hug:

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 23:46:39 PM »
Huggles for Mr Nuggie. And for you too. Clearly you are an adoring cat mammy, so try to shoo away any guilty feelings. Big loves from me  Lilli, Marmalade, Teddy and Crystal. Xxxx
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 23:47:38 PM by mad_lilli, Reason: cant spell.... »
I'll love you forever

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
  • In loving memory of my beloved Butch 1998-2010
  • Slave to: Fudge & Ariel
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 23:43:43 PM »
Not really experienced in this but just wanted to send some get well vibes for Nuggie hope he is feeling better soon and all is ok at the vets tomorrow :hug: :hug:  :hug:

Denise
Xxx

The Purrs 2013 Christmas Auction is now on!
All funds donated to Feral & Stray Foundation  - starts 17th November to 1st Dec 
Will you be a bidder, or donate something to auction - or both?!

Den22

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 23:36:48 PM »
 :thanks:  :hug: you're probably right and maybe with the worming due soon too, it was such a shock and not just speckles  :shy: and I'm going to edge on the side of caution with this , me thinks - but I will keep you & Lupin updated  :)  :hug:

:thanks: Rosella, for the helpful link  :hug:
Fleas are upto date but he is about due for worming and after my frantic google after, it did say about worms/parasites being a possible cause, but I didnt know whether worming him now would irritate whatever it is, should it not be worms?  :scared: not sure whether that was the best or even the correct way of thinking?? but thought hanging tight just til i've been to the vets to be sure.....??
 :-: :-: they bring so much worry dont they?  :shy: :shy:
He's never, ever ill - so it hit me like a brick really  :-[

:thanks: again everyone x

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 23:12:57 PM »
Something may just have upset his tummy and abs plus gentle food may sort it out, good luck at the vets and Lupins most concerned about his friend   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 23:08:23 PM »
Sending hugs to the gorgeous lad  :hug: :hug: :hug: and a link to his worried mom ............. hope all is OK quickly

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/digestive/diarrhoea.html

Could it be worms?  When was last flea treatment and worming?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 23:09:43 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
Worried About Nuggie - Vets Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 23:04:33 PM »
Worried about Nuggie  :'( :'(
Anyone have any experience of the this:

He is at the vets tomorrow after passed quite a bit of blood & diarrohea, I've noticed hes drinking more and he is turning his nose up (or as I have been thinking - being fussy) at foods and on getting his treats over the weekend he didnt finish them and also spat bits out and when i went to move them they were all just soaked in saliva :'(
But he does not appear to have lost weight at all yet....
Problem is - it wasnt until i did some internet surfing that i realise i should have kept the sample (although following my initial heart dropping shock i did take photographs - which i will spare you by not sharing!)

Thing is, having not long got a Rescue i presumed the odd bit of the runs were due to Peanuts food changes (he has wind issues lol) so i just thought it was him and of course they cover it over so i never inspected it.
Also, Nuggie - if at all possible will shun the litter tray for the great outdoors, so rarely uses a tray, so I dont know how long then has been a problem and due to this, the "occasional" soft stool didnt raise any alarms because of Peanut Windy Pants.
I'm just glad he broke his habits and went while i was in the kitchen, otherwise i'd have possibly never realised until he went down hill.
Anyway - just hope I havent been oblivious too long to another secretly ill cat  :-[ Tazi and his sudden trip to the Bridge is about as much as i could take on the "Bad Mammy" Stakes..... :'(

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Link to CatChat