Author Topic: Moving my two into flat with 2 other cats  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Moving my two into flat with 2 other cats
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 11:48:58 AM »
sounds like a good grouping of ages  ;D

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Milo and Pagan
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:47:50 AM »
Mine are 3 and 6. Im not sure on the other 2 but i can guess at about 5 or 6. They seem fairly placid and friendly when i went to see them.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 23:41:40 PM »
I agree that you needd to initially keep both pairs seperate but start scent swapping quickly with bedding and stuff.

My thought and thats all it is, is to introduce both pairs as pairs and not individually as they then have a friend to support them. Make sure they all have a place to run and hide if they want.

I had two pairs that lived together for about 5 years with eventually indifference to the other pair, the start was terrible though.

You dont say what age the cats are cos that may make a difference.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 22:05:56 PM »
I have no experience of intros as have only ever adopted in pairs but just wanted to wish you luck with it all, sounds like you have a lot on your plate at the moment  :hug:

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Milo and Pagan
Moving my two into flat with 2 other cats
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 21:26:23 PM »
I am being forced out of my flat! I love my flat. Its a basement flat with a garden and i had a catflap installed. The cats are settled and i am settled. However i guess these things happen.

A lot of other things have been going on in my life. I need to find a new job and i have had a death of a very close family member. So i havent been putting as much time into looking for a new flat as i should be.

Thankfully a friend of a friend is moving out of her flat. Its another basement flat, 2 bed instead of 3 so its a little smaller. But the garden is much bigger and backs on to the Botanical Gardens.

The only problem (cat wise) is that there are already 2 cats in the flat. The current flat mate and the land lady are happy for me to take my 2 in and i am happy to do so too. I had to introduce my youngest to my other cat when i first got her so i know a bit about introducing new cats. I plan to swap covers on the cat beds so they can smell each other before hand. I will keep my two in my bedroom for the first few days so they can hear and smell each other through the door.

Then im not sure if i should introduce them one at a time or both together? I think Milo will be fine. If anything he may get a bit bolshy. Pagan however is so timid. I know it will take her more time to settle.

I do know this isnt ideal. But this is the only place I can find that has even a hint of outdoor space. The garden is so massive that i know they will love it. Its just getting the initial few weeks out of the way and then we can see how it goes. I am taking a 6 month lease so if it all goes to crap then i can always find another place if i have to.

Link to CatChat