Author Topic: Kitten worming - arrrrgh!  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Kitten worming - arrrrgh!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 23:32:07 PM »
Definitely worth trying Milbemax - they are actually supposed to be palatable - but I still pop them inside a piece of a Webbox treat stick, which, if I'm not careful, is snatched out of my hand - and not always by the cat I wanted to actually worm lol!  :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 18:53:00 PM »
I would speak to the vet personally.

I have the box for the spot on........profender and the one I had for Lupin was for small cats  0.5kg - 2.5kg so sounds like this can definately be used on a kitten.

The small millibax pill has only be fed to Misa so no idea about that.

Pretty certain that panacur the powder that mixes with food will be able to be used for a kitten but will need checking but as I recall Lupin was given a number of doses of this on the trot.........maybe part sachees but cant remember.

When he came to me he had an appalling upset tummy and all of this was to make sure he had no worms,,,,,,,he didnt and it didnt solve the problem!

I only have mine wormed once a year Misa gets millibax, Lupin will get prefender cos he is a pirahana and once i am able to get Sasa to the vets, she will have an injection, cant remember what its called but it means that she can then also have Stronghold. Otherwise she would have to wait for 1-2 weeks for the stronghold  cos if she had profender cos they cant be given together.

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 17:47:23 PM »
Hi Gill - Meg is about 5 1/2 months now :)

She's in for her spay next Tuesday and has a pre-op appointment with the nurse so I thought I could discuss it with her then and then hopefully they can worm her at her post op check next Friday :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 17:13:36 PM »
How old are your kittens?

It was used on Lupin at 10months but think I have the packet so will look

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 15:20:37 PM »
I agree - millbemax is smaller & dexter hoovers his up as if it was a dreamie!  :shocked:
Denzel tho i have to force it down her throat.

You can also get the syringe things to put the tablets in to get them at the back of the throat? Not tried them myself tho.

I think i am going to try the spot on approach once my current wormers are used up (dont know if they are kitten friendly Gill?), good luck when she gets older!!!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 13:15:32 PM »
I'm going to leave the food for her overnight in the hope that she might polish it off but I doubt she will

I doubt it too.  Did she?  Unless Drontal has changed recently, I think it tastes pretty  :sick:  I too would leave it a month as you are unsure how much she has eaten.  Milbemax are supposed to be less  :sick: and are certainly a better shape and you can get kitten strength but of course they cost more than drontal.

Having said that, I've even had probs worming with Milbemax recently;  little tykes .....

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 00:02:05 AM »
I think you should leave it now until next month. I am not sure they are meant to go in food.

Millibax are tiny so maybe a better option or panacur which is a powder that goes in food. There is also a spot on from the vets called profender.

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
Kitten worming - arrrrgh!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 19:56:35 PM »
I've been worming Meg kitten once a month with half a Drontal tablet and it's time for this month's dose :)Usually I have her on my lap sleeping and have the tablet ready and just open her mouth and pop it down before she realises what's happened :)

Erm..........not this time lol! I just can't get her mouth open wide enough to get it down before she starts thrashing about :( So I decided to have a go at crushing it and popping it in her wet food. I've never had much luck with this method before as it never worked on Jas but as I've got some spare tablets I thought it would be worth a try :)

She instantly started eating away and I thought I'd cracked it but after a while she took a mouthful that she recoiled from in horror and has left the rest. There's still a lot of tablet in the leftovers so I've got no idea how much she's eaten (probably not even a quarter of a tab I reckon ) so now I'm in a trickier position as I don't really know how much she's had? I'm going to leave the food for her overnight in the hope that she might polish it off but I doubt she will, so I'm not really sure what I should do next?

Link to CatChat