Author Topic: Kitten spay advice :)  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Kitten spay advice :)
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 18:18:13 PM »
I'm sure she'll be just fine, it's only natural to worry though  :hug:

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 17:01:42 PM »
As a bit of added assurance, we get female kittens spayed here at 10-11 weeks and our vets use dissolvable stitches. We don't seperate kittens (or adults for that matter) or use collars and if the op has gone well there is no problems at all. Kittens are usually back to their bouncy selves within a day and don't seem to notice the wound.

..but being nervous is unfortunatly a normal part of it too :)
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 14:11:44 PM »
we all get nervous but sure she will be fine  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 13:52:53 PM »
Thanks all - I've booked Meg in for 7th Feb at the Companion Care branch and have booked her in for the day when the head vet type person is operating (I've seen her before with Jas and she was really nice so I'll feel happier with her doing it)  ;D

I'm not quite sure why I'm so nervous about it tbh! :scared:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:52:48 PM »
I believe with gluing they use dissolvable stitches on the inside and then glue the outer layer and with a girl its definately what I would do and was going to have Pussy done this way and no problem with the vets at all. The glue is just to cover up to stop them getting at the wound so allowing it to heal quickly.........they heal from inside out.

When Pussy now Leonie was taken by Lau for speying they discovered her spey scar!

There should I believe be aftercare after every op and in a spey/neuterr its usually included in the original cost and as far as I remember the vet wanted Lupin back to check him out and for a female so much more important.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 12:45:48 PM »
When denzel got done they didn''t use glue but dissolvable stitches. They advised to come back for a collar only if she was licking it a lot, but it never bothered her at all.

It did take a while for them to all come out, but kittens being kittens she was jumping, running about in no time with no harm done :)

Again they didn't do a follow up unless there was any problems.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 23:33:15 PM »
I've never kept cats separate from the others after a spay  :shocked: Buster collars are so distressing for the cat, mine have always got theirs off as soon as they've come home anyway lol! Certainly wouldnt keep one on for 10 days  :shocked: even with external stitches, not had a problem.

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 17:28:17 PM »
At both practices I spoke to the vet nurse and I'd previously mentioned it at Companion Care when I took Jas for her booster a fortnight ago but she didn't see keen and said that she felt it would be better to use the dissolvable stitches  :scared:

I remember with my previous cats (Molly and Mia) Molly hissing at Mia when she came back from her spay op and I was really shocked. Jas hisses and swipes Meg on a daily basis at the mo so we probably won't notice the difference  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 17:10:23 PM »
I've only ever had boys done myself (I was a child when Tiggy was spayed so don't remember too much about it) but just wanted to say, be prepared for Jasmine to hiss/growl etc at Meg when she gets back due to her strange vet smell. It might not happen and if it does it's only temporary but thought I'd mention it so you didn't worry about the 'setback'  :hug: It took Lu about a week to get back to normal with Riley after Riley had to stay overnight at the vets when he was poorly. There was a recent thread from someone who had the same problem when one of their cats stayed at the vets overnight for a dental too.

Neither vets were really that keen to glue the wound which is why I was confused  :scared: Companion Care said that they wouldn't use glue and the others made me feel like I was asking for something highly unusual  :scared:

Did you speak to the vet or was it the receptionist? I am very happy with my vets overall but on a few occasions I've asked the receptionist something technical and been given a load of  :censored: as an answer whereas when I've asked the vet directly I've been given the answer I was expecting (having read it on here first!).

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 16:45:26 PM »
Neither vets were really that keen to glue the wound which is why I was confused  :scared: Companion Care said that they wouldn't use glue and the others made me feel like I was asking for something highly unusual  :scared:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 16:32:29 PM »
I got my kittens from Celia Hammond and they took them to their vet to be spayed. As Liz says the female had internal stitches and the wound was glued on the outside. I was worried about them as they both ran around like crazy things beforehand. Anyway they were fine, I tried to stop them every time they were play fighting for the first few days then after that just kept an eye on them to make sure the male cat didn't kick her on the stitches. They didn't recommend a post op check. I think you can probably see if there's a problem   

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 15:33:16 PM »
Ask them to glue the wound and use internal stitches no buster collar required this is what I do for all my domestic, pedigree and feral girls usually costs about £5.00 extra but so worth it for the no buster collar
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 15:09:27 PM »
No advice but  :hug:  sure someone will come along soon and give u lots of reassuring advice.

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
Kitten spay advice :)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 14:59:55 PM »
The time is fast approaching for Meg kitten to be booked in for her spay op (she's about 21 weeks ish now) and I'm a tad worried about the aftercare side of things with her and Jasmine (our older cat) as they like to run around and wrestle together like loons!!!

We usually take Jasmine to the Companion Care vets in Pets at Home as it's only a couple of mins from us by car and we've been lucky in that she's only ever needed her booster vaccinations there so I don't have much experience of them.

I just gave them a call to find out about the spay op (which is £57) and they said that they'd use dissolvable stitches and they're very small and neatly woven into the skin so that they're barely visible with no loose bits hanging (I know when Jas was done at our previous vets she had long bits of thread poking out ). They said she'd come home with a buster collar and would need to wear it for 10 days and to keep her apart from Jas for most of that time so that they can't wrestle or go mad  :err: They said she needs to go back 3 days after the op for a post op check.

As they're only just getting to the point of getting used to each other I'm a bit worried about seperating them too much really but I'm guessing Jas will be horrified initially when Meg comes home and smells of the vets with a big cone on her head to boot!!

I did also ring the vets that the CPL branch that Meg is from use and speak to them - the spay op would cost £75 and seems generally the same (but they didn't mention a post op check).

Someone on one of the forums mentioned that I should look into having the wound sealed using glue rather than stitches as there would be less of a need to keep the cats apart and I mentioned this to the Companion Care vets and they wouldn't offer that as an option. The other vets said that they could glue the wound but that they would only usually recommend that option for ferals where there's not proper aftercare :(

I'm just a little confused about what would be the best option really - will just be glad when it's over and done with I guess  :)

Am aiming to book her in for having it done in the next fortnight really as I just want it over and done with really (obviously she's not been outside as yet and there's no way I'd let her out until she's been spayed and recovered  :) )

Link to CatChat