Author Topic: How to tell if a cat has been spayed?  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: How to tell if a cat has been spayed?
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 17:09:38 PM »
She's been there two or three weeks I think and is coming back no problem when she's been out. She's pretty nervous as was semi feral, they think she might have been a farm cat. They are experienced cat owners, it's just the unspayed older cat, possibility of kittens scenario that they haven't had to deal with before.     

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 16:08:06 PM »
Cats really need to stay in for a month or so before going outside, cos they often try to find their way back to their old home.

I hope she is Ok

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 23:20:33 PM »
Yes Luke is neutered.

I was talking to my Mum earlier on the phone and they have started to let the new female cat Princess Leia outside, so I'm a little concerned. Although I do think she would probably be pregnant by now if she's been living outside for the last few months. The last thing I want is some more kittens in the world.   

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 22:14:59 PM »
Can I ask a really silly question?  Is your parents' male cat neutered?  :shify:

Offline SuzynCora

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Cora
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 20:44:51 PM »
No, I didn't.
It turned out Cora was just being a little tart - she fancied my boyfriend!
Cora is a CPL rescue cat, and they were pretty certain she'd been done, but the vet nurse told me she has a spayed female
who sometimes acts like she's on heat, sticking her tail in the air and doing that crouching down thing they do.
The problem is they don't always call when the come in season, I was a bit slow to get one of mine seen to, and she just went out
one night and came home pregnant.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 20:26:28 PM »
Thanks guys, the vet did mention this to them as an option but said it could involve quite a bit of shaving.

SuzynCora, did you get your cat shaved?

Offline SuzynCora

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Cora
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 20:00:32 PM »
I asked a vet about this when Cora started acting like a floozy, and they said all they can do is shave a patch of fur off and see if there's a scar.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 12:09:07 PM »
sometimes they can shave and check for a scar. though even if they see one there is no guarantee of it. Normally a vet will open up, have a looksee and then close again.

Obviously if she shows signs of calling thats a giveaway but not all cats do.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
How to tell if a cat has been spayed?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 11:58:54 AM »
Hi

My parents have just taken on a cat that appeared in my sisters barn. When she first arrived my sister took her to the vets to see if she was microchipped and they also thought she was pregnant. The vet said he thought she was pregnant, anyway it turned out she wasn't or if she was she lost the kittens. The cat is now living at my parents and they want to know if there's anyway they can tell if she's been spayed. The vet suggested they wait and see if she comes into season and as my parents have a male can, that they will be able to tell by her behaviour toward him. Does anyone have any ideas how they can tell if she's been spayed?     

Link to CatChat