• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
Hello
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 21:43:45 PM »
Welcome! Enjoy your stay!

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: Hello
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 02:47:41 AM »
Hellooo!! and  :welcome:  :welcome:

Glad you have got the answers you needed  :) and pheobe is gorgeous  :Luv2:  :Luv2:

My late cat Tazi, last year had a really bad cold - it was horrendous and even vet was concerned at the severity....anyhooo my younger cat Nuggie kept hissing and spitting at him at every opportunity (Tazi was his big brother-daddy so it was very out of character) mainly because he had the vet smell, the "i'm poorly" smell, he snotted everywhere and honestly sounded like Darth Vader....so to Nuggie this imposter wasnt even a proper stranger cat - an alien had invaded!!  :rofl:  :rofl:

Hopefully, all normal service has been resumed with your two and we can ogle  :shify: admire your close loving babies  :evillaugh:

:hug:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 22:24:33 PM »
Hello and  :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Good you've found some answers already. Stick with Purrs, you'll be alright. Answers to everything on here, and if Purrs don't know, someone here will usually find out for you, cos we all want to know.  :) :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 14:24:42 PM »
Sounds like they're moving in the right direction  :) It took about a week before my boys were fully back to normal.

When they're pals again we need to see a pic of them cudding, purely for evidential purposes you see - not just to ogle over them  :naughty:  :Luv2:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »

So good to hear they're  settling back down again.   :)

Offline claire_m

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Phoebe and Muriel
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 12:22:18 PM »
thanks again for the warm welcome.

Happy to report that things are slowly getting back to normal.  Don't want to tempt fate by saying we are ok now but.....

glad to have found the site as I have already picked up some invaluable advice whilst looking around.

:Luv2:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 07:10:53 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 07:38:38 AM »
Good morning Claire and a warm   :welcome:  from me too

I would imagine the girls are just about back to normal by now ?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 07:02:05 AM »

Welcome to Purrs Clare

Some very sound advice already given.  You have our sympathy - it's horrible when something happens to change the natural order of things.   :hug: :hug:  Hope it settles back down again very shortly.

even after 5 years I don't know enough about my little ones

We never fail to learn from our cats , even after many many years.  There's always something new to encounter somewhere.   :evillaugh:

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 00:19:33 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs    What a gorgeous pussy cat!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 00:04:19 AM »
Phoebe is  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline claire_m

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 23:52:16 PM »
Thanks for your warm welcomes. :thanks:

Just have to wait for a few days and hope normal service resumes.

Although Pheobe is settling back down to life in her hammock as you can see :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 23:52:59 PM by claire_m »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 23:11:54 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Clare.  Glad to see you have been getting usual good Purrs advice  :)

I'd just add that it can take a while for the Feliway diffuser to kick in; some days in fact  :hug:  The scent exchanging is more likely to produce quicker results but we have Feliway plugged in all the time in an effort to keep things calm  :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 22:40:16 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

I'm sure after you've given your girls lots of love and cuddles and Phoebe starts to smell of home again Muriel will soon accept her again.  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 22:21:01 PM »
My goodness you really should have stopped smoking those things  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 21:53:34 PM »
Hi Claire, I see you have received excellent advice so will just add my  :welcome:  to Purrs  :)

Offline claire_m

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 21:48:29 PM »
Thanks Guys your speedy response is much appreciated.

I will try the scent swap towel thing tonight.

Hopefully normal service will resume soon.  Its just made me realise that even after 5 years I don't know enough about my little ones.  I think I have been spoiled with them cause they have never been the slightest bit of bother before and as my first cats have been amazing so far.

Glad I have found this site and am enjoying looking through all the articles and help posted.

(Already bought two cigars :-[)

Thanks again for your help its good to know that they should be back to normal soon.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Hello
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 21:43:32 PM »
Hi Claire & :welcome: to Purrs

As the others have said, Muriel's reaction is perfectly normal. I went through a similar thing with my two cats who are brothers, they are normally head over heels in love with each other but when one of them had to stay in the vets overnight the other one kept hissing at him when he came back :( It was upsetting to see them like that and the hissing continued for a good few days but after about a week they were back to normal.

I would second the scent swapping tip, I also made sure I gave the one who came back from the vets extra cuddles in the hope that his brother would see it and become more accepting of him. Luckily the poorly one seemed none the wiser and kept just plonking himself down next to his brother while his brother hissed in his face!

Hope your girls are back to being friends before long :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 20:58:47 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Stuart is right, Muriel doesnt recognize Pheobe anymore cos she smells of the vets. So exchange of scent is needed and another way of doing this is to take a damp towel and rub Muriel with it and then rub it on Pheobe, so Muriel recognises her on scent on Pheobe.

The check up should not cause the same problem because there has been no operation and the visit not long enough.  ;D ;D

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 20:45:41 PM »
Hiya Clare and  :welcome: to Purrs :)

aha this sounds a simple case of, who are you and why do you smell funny??

Of course a trip to the vets with all the jiggery pokery being done, a doped up strange smelling cat is what you will get when you leave
Poor Muriel has came face to face with a strange cat  :scared: and doesn't recognize Pheobe

I would think with time, things should go back to the way they were before
Someone will probably be along shortly with some tips on how to speed the process along, it's quite a busy forum  ;)

edited to add, maybe get some of Muriel's bedding ( scent ) and try and transfer her scent to Pheobe so she doesnt smell like a strange cat
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 20:50:16 PM by Stuart »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline claire_m

• Kitten
Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 20:38:06 PM »
Hi Everyone I'm Claire from carluke in scotland and would love some advice if anyone has any....

Just found this place after looking for some advice on the t'internet.

I have two gorgeous cats who I adore more than life itself.  They are both sisters and I have had them from about 7 weeks and they are now five.  Up until yesterday it has been an idyllic life with them.  They are mine and my husbands first cats and they have been absolute angels (well almost :naughty:) so our lack of experience with cats has never been an issue up until now.

Anyway yesterday I took one of the cats, Pheobe, to get her teeth cleaned so she was away at the vets for most of the day.  I took the day off work just so that the other, Muriel, wouldn't be too stressed out on her own in the house (They are both housecats).

Everything went to plan up until the point where I brought a doped up Pheobe back from the vets at which point Muriel turned into a cat possessed, she was hissing and growling at poor pheobe and generally going crazy - neither of them have every behaved like this before and its really stressing me out.  Everytime Muriel sees Pheobe now she hisses and growls at her - and now everyone is stressed.

I phoned the vet this morning and he gave me a diffuser of feliway to try.  So far no change at all however.

Just wondering whether anyone else has ever had any similar experiences and if so how did you manage to fix things.

I really hate seeing both my girls so upset and stressed and its so out of character.

I am panicing as well because I am due to take Pheobe back to the vets again for a check up on Friday and don't want to make the situation worse.

Anyway hopefully someone has some advice as I'm at my wits end.

Many thanks

claire

Link to CatChat