Author Topic: HELP! i need advice on callicivirus aka cat flu  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: HELP! i need advice on callicivirus aka cat flu
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 16:54:21 PM »
So sorry to hear this  :(  :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 11:48:55 AM »
So sorry for this sad news  :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Erie, play hard on the Bridge

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »
No probs babe just glad she has a lovely home in her last months and was loved so much  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 11:22:55 AM »
Sorry for the loss of Erie   :hug:

Have to say I think it was more than Calici sounds like FIV and we have had that here to so speak from broad experience
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Zara

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Skye my doggie and now foster kitties
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »
Thanks sarah 4 explainin that to them all xx

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »
Im sure zara wont mind me putting this but erie was taken to vets yesterday and under anestetic it was found her mouth problems were extensive with ulcers all the way down her throat and her eyes were alot worse than originally thought,  the vet advised that erie would of needed to be tube fed and undergone alot of medical intervention including having her eye removed and staying at the vet for a long time, which would mean erie was caged alot of the time which she didnt respond well to. Erie previous owners who had her after the owner who had her when she became ill and gave her to CP after the medical costs became too much came forward and advised she'd had her on antibiotics aswell which meant that she had been having anti biotics for over 8 month so she must have built up a tolerance to them which is why they were having no effect.

Sadly it was decided that the best option was to let erie sleep and play on the bridge

Offline Zara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 22:56:26 PM »
Well I will mention that to the vets on thursday when I'm back to get her mouth cleaned out thanks so much

She definately being her catself because at this precise minute I am lying in bed with her sat nicely on my chest/shoulder purring away

Thankyou I will keep you informed of how she gets on

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 22:52:35 PM »
She still acts like a cat and everything she eats and drinks and lounges and cleans she just doesn't seem bothered about it really she not uncomfortable thank the heavens

Well that sounds good that she's bright enough in herself - it does sound as though its chronic rhinitis due to the virus, and she may always have that to some degree.  :hug:

Offline Zara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 22:49:25 PM »
Well sometimes she is chesty and sometimes she not but at the vets today they said there was a bit of noise in her chest but thanks for that

She still acts like a cat and everything she eats and drinks and lounges and cleans she just doesn't seem bothered about it really she not uncomfortable thank the heavens

I'm just trying to do the best I can for her but at the moment we don't know what else to try and one things for certain I'm definately not giving up on her not till she ready where she not eating or anything there is still hope yet

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 22:43:55 PM »
As far as I know Calici and Cat flu are not the same thing............has she been blood tested and been shown to have calici?

Calicivirus is one of the cat flu viruses.

Zara, it sounds as though she may have chronic rhinitis caused by the calicivirus. If there is a chest infection going on she might need different antibiotics. Some people have had good results with l-lysine, although I think that is more helpful with the herpesvirus, but have heard of people using it for calici.

Offline Zara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 22:02:20 PM »
its the calicivirus she has she had blood tests and found out it was that she was at vets today and they said they dont know what else they can do  :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 21:01:40 PM »
As far as I know Calici and Cat flu are not the same thing............has she been blood tested and been shown to have calici?

The effects are very similiar however.

My two senior birmans had cat flu at the end of 2010 and it took a long time to go and both had abs jabs which is just a prevention to stop an infection developing and also bisolven to break down the mucas which it did eventually,

Stress can bring back cat flu or possibly stop it getting better

Offline Zara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 20:29:27 PM »
she isnt bound to a pen or to one room because she stresses herself out pacing and crying so i cant keep her locked up but there are no other cats in the house because she is a foster cat

what is stomatitis?

thanks

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 20:25:57 PM »
Feline calicivirus (FCV) is a virus of the family Caliciviridae that causes disease in cats. It is one of the two important viral causes of respiratory infection in cats, the other being feline herpesvirus. FCV can be isolated from about 50% of cats with upper respiratory infections

There is no specific treatment for FCV. Antibiotics are used for secondary bacterial infections, and immune modulators, such as lymphocyte T-cell immune modulator, have been used for immune support. Nursing care and rehydration are used for dehydrated and anorexic cats. Corticosteroids or azathioprine may be used for polyarthritis. Stomatitis is very difficult to treat. Antibiotics, corticosteroids, and tooth extractions all have been used with varying success. Cats on corticosteroids must be monitored carefully for worsening of any upper respiratory infection.

I take it the cat is in isolation with Sneezeshields on your pen if he is in a pen, or isolated from any other cats and that you have barriers in place if he has his own room in your home and that you have sneeze barriers on the door to the room

There is no treatment as such but antibiotics do help, I have a Carrier living with us and apart from an occassional weepy eye he is fine
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Zara

• Adult Cat
HELP! i need advice on callicivirus aka cat flu
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 19:38:40 PM »
hey ppls
i am currently fostering an egyptian mau from cp and she has cat flu. i have had her for about 2month now and i havent seen much of an improvement

she has a sniffly nose and a bit of a chest and her eye is a bit swollen and gunky, she has eye drops she also get bisolvin and loxicom,
we have also tried ronaxan and eye cream and with all this hasnt really improved

dont get me wrong she is better than what she was when i got her but i was expecting a bigger improvement after all this time

if anyone can give a bit advice if you have personal experience to make things a bit easier or you know anything that may work please let me no it would be greatly appreciated
thanks    :(

Link to CatChat