Author Topic: What food to feed him?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
Re: What food to feed him?
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 00:17:46 AM »
`My big Oscar loves Simply Steamed Fish too

Offline jessica

• Kitten
  • Slave to: jenny, sam
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 14:00:00 PM »
I would suggest Whiskas Simply Steamed Fish. My little one loves them!

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 00:37:16 AM »
I am sure that you can get food bowls with timers so that you could set the dish to open halfway through the day and the food would be fresh  I am a bit vague about this but maybe someone will remember

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 00:03:26 AM »
but I don't know if even the sensitive stomach dry food would be ok for him because I don't know what part of dry food causes a blockage for him.

It is the very fact it is DRY that is the problem. I presume by blockage you mean he was constipated? If he's doing ok on wet food now then I wouldnt bother trying him on dry, he doesnt need to eat both.  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 23:47:43 PM »
No the sensitive foods also cover upset tummies like Lupin............runny tummies............but Lupin cant even cope with biscuits at all

Offline Alicia

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Pebbles
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 23:38:04 PM »
Thank you, I think I'll keep him on felix and whiskas then. I'd like to give him dry food as well because he is a small cat so I think leaving a bowl of dry food out for him during the day would be good for him, but I don't know if even the sensitive stomach dry food would be ok for him because I don't know what part of dry food causes a blockage for him. Are the sensitive stomach foods just for cats that throw their food back up a lot?

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 21:02:53 PM »
I agree with the comments about Whiskas and Felix   My vet is not keen on dried food especially as my previous cat had cystitis    If your cat is happy with what you give him and seems healthy stick with it. 
Oscar loves his Whiskas Simply Steamed Fish and seems to do well on it   He is keen on cooked chicken if there is any on offer but only gets a little as a treat
Good Luck

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 14:55:48 PM »
Lupin cant cope with Purina One, Purina ...........the more expensive one, biscuits for sensitive tums, Purely from PAH, he loved them all but within a day his tummy was upset again.

He just cant tollerate biscuits at all and all cat foods except Tescos own brand which must be very close to Felix or Whiskers.......its a nightmare

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 13:30:53 PM »
When you say he couldn't go to the toilet do you mean wee or poo? If wee then I would not try and introduce a dry diet again as he will need to drink as much as possible to prevent bladder issues.

If he's doing OK healthwise on the foods you're feeding I would be wary of chopping and changing if he has a history of tummy troubles. Felix/Sainsburys/Whiskas have all the required nutrients that he needs, what about them makes you feel they're not right for him? The Purina One (dry food) that Jezebel mentioned is supposed to be good for sensitive tummies.

This is a really comprehensive and very detailed site which goes into specific detail about each food including an overview of each one, pro's and con's of pretty much every simgle food available in the UK.

https://sites.google.com/site/wetcatfoodlist/

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »
My two will only eat Felix but they seem very healthy on it so I've given up trying to get them to eat any of the more quality brands - I got fed up throwing away expensive food!

Perhaps one of the ingredients in the dry food you were giving Pebbles changed and that's what made him ill. Have you tried him on a different brand of dry? Mine love Purina One, which is a bit pricey but I think it's much better quality than supermarket own brand.

I also give them cooked chicken and fish occasionally, to vary their diet.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 02:50:16 AM »
Whiskers and Felix are complete cat foods and will give him every thing he needs and if he has a dodgy tummy its wisest not to play around with other foods as long as he is eating.

I have a 17 month old kitten who cant eat either of those and most other things too, especially not fish and it took about 3 months to get his tummy stabalized on some Hills special food.

If he eats fish or fish food , bang and he is back with an upset tummy and stupidly the only food he can eat is Tesco own brand chicken in jelly pouches............its a nightmare cos he cant eat the other flavours even!

He cant eat biscuits either and he loves them

Offline Alicia

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Pebbles
What food to feed him?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 21:09:52 PM »
I have a 3 year old neutered male cat named Pebbles. I got him in 2008 from a lady who's cat had kittens, unfortunately it was not a very good place to get a cat from and I know this now. Pebbles is a strange cat, he's very small, and he has problems with his stomach. When we first got him we fed him either whiskas kitten or felix kitten with some sainsbury's own brand dry food mixed in. That was fine, and we moved him onto the adult versions of the food after a while. He had no problems with these foods until a few months later when he kept being sick. The vet told us that his body didn't like the dry food and it was causing him to be unable to go to the toilet (although I didn't realize this because Pebbles goes to the toilet in the garden where I can't always see) The vet told us to either cut out dry food altogether or to soak it in water overnight before giving it to him. He hated the dry food soaked in water so we stopped giving it to him.

He is now fed either Sainsburys own brand wet food, whiskas or felix. I don't really like any of these foods and although Pebbles mostly eats it, I really don't think it's giving him all he needs and I'd like to find a better food for him, but because of his stomach problems I'm not sure what food is right for him. The vet never told us what in the dry food was causing it, he just said its the dry food that caused the problem. Can anyone recommend a food to feed Pebbles, preferably one I can get in shops, although I could buy online if needed. What should I look for in a food?
Sorry for the long post I just wanted to make sure I said everything about his problems so I can get the right food for him :)

Link to CatChat