Author Topic: Spraying....  (Read 1991 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Spraying....
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 22:38:20 PM »
Sorry, just read this! He's still spraying unfortunately. I think it's partly learned behaviour after being a stray for some time. REALLY hope he stops. :sick:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 23:25:13 PM »
If he was only neutered just before christmas he may still have hormones circulating that are responsible for the spraying.  So it may calm down in a few weeks time (I think it can take up to 6 weeks for the hormones to settle down?).

If there are limited areas, blocking them off can help.  When Jaffa was spraying in the hall I cleaned it thoroughly but was never 100% sure I got rid of all the smell (it was fine to my nose but I'm not sure about Jaffa's!).  Once I got him retrained into using a 2nd litter tray I blocked the area in the hall that he was using with a cardboard box so that he couldn't walk up to that spot and spray out of habit.  Similarly in the bedroom - I have had problems with him spraying the wardrobe but I have now blocked off access to that for the same reasons as I think part of that was habit - he walked into the gap between my computer desk and the wardrobe, turned around and then sprayed out of habit.  He now can't do that and thankfully hasn't chosen an alternative site.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 10:46:25 AM »
It is - oh well, hope it settles down and you get rid of the pong!  :shocked:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 00:14:56 AM »
Thanks Emmmy Lou - sadly, not a practicality for me. (I have a Darwin.... ;)) That's a Claire Bessant book, isn't it? I have that one too. :)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 22:37:55 PM »
Sorry in lots of my posts since christmas I keep referring to this book I got as a pressie (the cat whisperer) she recommends putting tubs of dry food down stuck to the bottom of the container (tho it doesn't say how this should be done!
Otherwise confining the cat to a pen until the cat feels more secure
Dont know if this will help you or not, but hope you get it sorted
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 00:36:58 AM »
Indeed it is mainly Chi....to be fair, I think it's turning into a bit of a "boy battle" with the spraying. :sick: Darwin is used to being the sole male so to have a bear of cat like Chi come in is knocking his nose out of joint a little.

Feliway's on re-order. ;) (Petmedic do a refill for £11 - free delivery.) And we put RR in the drinking water.

Thanks for the link to the cleaning product. I'll try and get some ASAP. :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 22:28:49 PM »
Like Gill, I'm assuming it's Chi who is marking his new territory  :(  In view of my utter lack of success, I wouldn't dream of offering advice on prevention JS  :-[ :-[ :-[ but getting rid of the aroma is, as you will certainly know, paramount to start with.  I use RX66 as recommended by Helen.  I'm pretty sure it is the best odour eater we've tried.

http://www.livingiseasy.co.uk/products/cat5/cat499/XERIA_RX66HS_BIO_ENZYMATIC_STAINING,_FOULING_AND_FOUL_ODOUR_DIGESTER_SPRAY_PLUS_HIGH_PERFORMANCE_AIRX_ODOUR_ELIMINATION_TECHNOLOGY._NATURES_MIRACLE._Seeks_out_and_eliminates__surface_and_sub_surface_fouling,_foul_odours_and_stains._500ml/

Oh and think this is still a cheapish link for a Feliway diffuser if you think calming him down a bit might help  :hug:

http://www.medicines4pets.co.uk/shop/feliway-diffuser.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 22:23:25 PM »
Think if possible you have to try and work out why he is spraying............is it Chi?

Usually I think its territorial or stress.

Rosella maybe able to help.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Spraying....
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 22:17:15 PM »
Not sure if anyone can offer any advice, but as most of you know we took in a stray who it transpires is around 3. We got him neutered just before Christmas but he is spraying a fair amount. What I want to know is the best preventatives once I clock his favourite spraying areas...

And how long it's likely to take to calm down. :innocent:

Link to CatChat