Author Topic: Problems Retracting Claws....Causing Some Distress (Sorted I Hope!!)  (Read 2846 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: Problems Retracting Claws....Causing Some Distress (Sorted I Hope!!)
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 20:28:46 PM »
Such a difference in his confidence & play  ;D  ;D

ooo ya cant beat a ikkle stikki out tongue for added cuteness! :tongue 2:
:drool;
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 23:25:56 PM »
" a much more normal looking paw"

and a coot ikkle stkki owt tong!  :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 21:36:30 PM »
I am sure Peanut is much happier and so pleased that everyone could help  ;D

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
Re: Problems Retracting Claws....Causing Some Distress - Sorted (I hope!!)
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 18:39:40 PM »
Thank you everyone for your advise on Peanuts claw issues  :hug: Great advise, food for thought and definitely enabling me to know what to look out for in future  :)

Just to say that Peanut can now move around freely without being stuck to the carpet or collecting door matts on his way :)
so it seems that by clipping his claws and keeping on top of that will prevent any problems with his few dodgey tallons.
Looking back at his photo's you can clearly see how clunky his paw looks prior to clipping and his sticky up claw  :scared: his after shot shows a much normal looking paw  :shy:
He's a much happier boy  :)

:thanks:  :thanks:  :thanks:

Before & After Pics
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
Re: Problems Retracting Claws....Causing Some Distress
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 21:10:42 PM »
 :thanks:  ;D
Hopefully it isnt going to be a reocurring problem, but I will be keeping a close check. I dont even know if the clipping has done any good, as he has slipped into the role of lazy-cat very well and only came into the living room half an hour ago - to promptly just sit on the settee! He's not been on his 4 paws long enough to tell! :rofl:
I'm sure he has been feeling suitabley sorry for himself and has tried to be in a mood with us for as long as possible!!

He did go very quiet and in on himself  :shy: I dont think he knew really what was going on bless him and I did wonder if he thought he was getting moved again/traded in  :shy: but nooo Smelly Cat is here to stay  :rofl:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 20:45:26 PM »
Soooooo pleased it went well and Peanut was so good  ;D ;D ;D

Lupin told me that Peanut had posted and wasnt happy at all, so I was worried  :innocent:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 19:32:42 PM »
 :thanks:  :thanks:  :thanks: so much for the help and advise everybody!!

Peanut has been seen by the Vet this evening and had his nails clipped and is to be assessed from there with his claw catching problems. A few of them were really quite long too and it was no trim! it echoed of when the OH does his toenails  :sick: .....  :rofl:

2 do look like they stick up slightly, but Vet said these may not be a problem now the nails are cut and he's using a scratcher/going out to maintain them himself OR it could be he needs them clipped regular - time will tell  ;D
Main thing is, she didnt think his toes were damaged due to previous injury - unlike poor Chubby x  :scared: x

Also - A Big Paws up to Peanut - who previously had his card marked as unco-operative, feisty/crazy feline who was an appointment away from sedation just to get his microchip! :mad: (the Vet had even been dreading his visit!) and he made liars of everyone by being so calm & well behaved, with not so much as flinch for both Microchip & Claw Clipping!!   :happy dance: :yesss:  :yesss:  :happy dance:

Noone's mentioned Soft Paws (that I can see) which surprises me..

Thanks JackSpratt - I didnt even know they existed!? I had a look at them on the internet - there truely is something for everything out there! lol and if it works out that Peanut does have continued problems, then I would possibley consider, for just the offending claws....in a nice blue  :evillaugh:  :rofl:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 13:03:39 PM »
I think the tips should be cut also and then the outer sheath will come off by its self

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 12:44:17 PM »
I would clip the tips off .... I do that with all my lot.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »
Noone's mentioned Soft Paws (that I can see) which surprises me....

They're caps that go on your cats claws. I personally couldn't think of using them for anything other than circumstances like this and medical reasons. (ie: cat scratching excessively and ensuing they don't do any damage.)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 17:16:39 PM »
You can nip the very tips off without worrying about going too deep. When you get up close to a claw you'll see the nerve deep inside, tipping the sharp tops off is just like nibbling the edges off your own nails.  You might find the claws split slightly, as the outer sheath weakens when they are clipped, it's the nature of the claw as it grows in conical layers.

Of course having a pakkit ov dweemeez  ;D on hand helps immensely, he'll come to associate pampered paw sessions with treats and that's always a winner in our house - they queue up for manicures these days. Follow up with a little paw massage too, really gets you close. Here's a bit of New Year Resolutionism I'm going to try with my guys (it might help to keep me out of the fridge too  :-[ )

http://www.revitalizeme.com/reflexology_for_cats.htm

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 16:23:21 PM »
 :thanks: everyone!

Rosella - I would definitely consider 'declaw' etc for medical reasons should the vet suggest it. I've never actually thought of the clipping, but this is probably because we have been pretty lucky as far as cats are concerned and they've always managed to keep their claws trim  :innocent: I pressed underneath his toes and they extended, appeared flexible and in good order, so i'm not sure if injury has ocurred to the extent where an old injury has deformed his toes as well? but then I'm no expert and could be wrong?
You hear about declawing abroad and I dont like that some countries use it for asthetic purposes and to achieve a idealistic animal to suit themselves. Also a good ole cat scratch is like a tattoo....theres always one somewhere on the body  :rofl: some we're not sure how they actually came about - but they're there!!  :rofl:

sheilarose I read your thread on Chubby and such a lovely story with a great outcome  :)  :) he certainly sounds like he's been through the wars during his little life  :( and his poor bones have took some knocks  :( I just hope the vet is as straight talking and honest as yours!! and it has definitely given me food for thought on what the options may be....if the vet deems it a problem. I just worry he will seriously hurt himself, it hinders his play and just general walking about (he also 'taps' when walking on hard flooring) and i'll certainly get his insurance sorted before hand  :shify:

Emmy-lou aww poor Dexter! sounds like Peanut, but I think hes definitely not able to retract 3 claws or cant properly?? :shy: I do leave him to try and free himself but he sometimes gets so distressed that I just try and lift him and slide his claws off whatever he's hanging to. We have door mats at the front door and patio door and Peanut often walks off with it stuck to his feet, stumbling about and had it been 2 little ones he'd walk around happily with 2 bits of carpet stuck to his feet  :rofl:

Gill Thank you for that - I wouldnt like to try and trim the claws without being shown properly, like you say I could so easily hurt him by timming too much and i'd be mortified if I caused him pain!!  :shocked: I hope too that once he is introduced to the great outdoors (he soo wants to explore now and runs to try and see the big wide world! and sniffs the air through a crack in an open window  :evillaugh: ) then his problem will be able to become manageable, with wear from outside and me trimming where necessary, while he is young, fit and active? additionally it would also be the better time to get any problems sorted as Shielarose said, rather than waiting until he is older and causes real problems??

Peanut is adorable! and I dont think I would have any trouble treating him - Nuggie is soo jealous still and hates that Peanut may be taking his meowmi - Nuggie even sits on my knee, but not for purrs and cuddles off me though! :sneaky: but to look at Peanut and squeak "This knee here is mine, that slave is mine and i'll punch your nose if you try steal it"  :evillaugh:

:thanks: :thanks:  :thanks: everyone   :hug:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 15:30:05 PM »
Ducha who is very old now doesnt use scratch posts and the sheaths grow very long and thick and when he starts getting stuck they need clipping cos otherwise they grow into the pad.

Sheilas advise very wise about insurance first and vet second, I suspect that the front claws just need clipping but you have to know how to do it otherwise you will hurt him, a vet can show you how and it will not affect him getting around but positively help.

I use toe nail clippers for humans but only clip when necessary.

If you have hard surfaces outside and Peanut eventually goes out this should keep the nails down but if he is getting caught now the claws need to be sorted asap.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 13:34:57 PM »
I know dexter often gets his claws stuck on stuff - he can retract them, but once he gets caught he just pulls and pulls til he gets loose  :Crazy:
Its usually better to let him sort it out himself cos he tends to panic more if you try to help! Could it not just be a similar thing, but is made worse cos his claws are still a bit longer than they should be?
A while ago as well he did have a prominent claw for a day or so - it had kind of half shed, and he had a bit bother getting it off...
I know it must be worrying if its distressing him tho. Could it be he's not used to all the fabrics in the house??? I dont know
Have an off the record chat at the vet and take it from there?
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 13:05:42 PM »
I've got a cat with the same thing - our vet has examined Chubby extensively, here's Chubby's thread which explains things more fully.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,36495.0.html

And a photo of the offending foot, the protruding claw kinda sticks up proud.

This is because the toe itself has broken clear of it's attaching membranes, the claw still grows but the ligament that enables retraction has snapped, no repair is possible and it won't heal itself. Chubby also tap-dances across the floor when his claw is long.

Cat's usually bite their back claws down, Chubby wasn't able to do this as he has no front teeth.   :doh:

Due to Chubby's "hands off" nature until very recently, I've always had to take him to the vet for his back claws to be nipped, about every three to four months. As he's only recently allowed me to touch him, I'm hopeful he'll allow me to nip them for him next time around.

My vet offered the de-claw for his broken toes, which I considered carefully as it is a painful procedure. But as Chubby is pretty sedentary these days, we agreed that it would be a lot to put him through for little gain. My vet also stated that the toe itself isn't causing Chubby any pain, it's just the nuisance factor, really.

In your case, Peanut is young, strong and playful and liable to damage himself further. Luckily you have a friendly cat so you should be able to practice your manicure skills on him (and Nuggie), the claw that won't retract needs to be kept as short as possible and filed round so it doesn't snag (there are little machines you can buy that claim to do this - Gillian (Ambercat) might have used one as she's a professional groomer). There are some great videos on Youtube showing the best way to clip claws.

I would seriously consider asking your vet for an examination of the affected toe and discuss the long-term pain and recuperation associated with toe amputation, as this will be a lifelong problem for Peanut, but if you are able to control Peanut's claw length, de-clawing this toe may be unnecessary.

I would first make sure his insurance is in place before any of this goes on your vet records.  :shify:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »
We have supplied a good scratch post, which he loves - and I will be seeking advice from the Vet when he goes for attempt Two on being chipped this week. I do not want to clip his claws as i think whether they are blunt or not if he cant retract them, hes still going to get stuck? Anyone agree? I also do not agree with the clipping or de-clawing of cats.
Also, once he starts exploring the outside world, I dont want the Claw Catching or lack of Claws to hinder him or put him in danger?

The vet will be able to advise for the best when he/she has properly examined poor Peanut.  Am wondering if he has damaged these claws somehow recently or whether the rescue noticed he was having previous problems?  Obviously de-clawing for anything other than medical reasons is a definite no no but I wouldn't completely discard that as an option if medically necessary.  I don't think of clipping being a problem but like you would hope not to have to do either in a perfect world.  Am assuming it would only be necessary to treat the offending non retracting claws rather than all of them?  Certainly can't leave things as they are if he keeps catching himself in a painful way  :( 

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
Problems Retracting Claws....Causing Some Distress (Sorted I Hope!!)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 02:39:47 AM »
Hellooo!!

I just wondered if anyone has any experience with their cats not being able to retract all claws??

We have just adopted little Peanut who is approxmately 2years old. We noticed that just walking across the bed or settee he is always clicking or catching his claws. We initially presumed it was due to the fact that he had been in rescue and although sufficent scratch posts available his claws may not be as trim as they would be with the wear they get from the outdoors.
Sadly I dont think this is case. He snaggs himself in everything and I inspected his claws during a cuddle and 2 claws on one paw and 1 on another seems to be quite prominent and as if they are "on show".
What worried me the most was he was playing in the hallway and let out the strangest nerve tingling cry and even Nuggie who normally spends the time spitting in his face, ran to investigate in concern. Yesterday he was playing and dug his claws into the settee for leaverage to jump up and he got stuck. He started to panic and my attempts to un-pin him, caused him to fret and he hurt himself trying to "escape" as he didnt know what was going on other than his front paws were pinned to the settee. He has also had some sort of "fight" with my curtains through the night and I dont want him to get tangled to such a degree, he's going to be in real danger  :(

We have supplied a good scratch post, which he loves - and I will be seeking advice from the Vet when he goes for attempt Two on being chipped this week. I do not want to clip his claws as i think whether they are blunt or not if he cant retract them, hes still going to get stuck? Anyone agree? I also do not agree with the clipping or de-clawing of cats.
Also, once he starts exploring the outside world, I dont want the Claw Catching or lack of Claws to hinder him or put him in danger?

Just wondered if anyone has come across this problem and how best to handle the situation?? He's such a lovely boy and we spend half of cuddle time 'unhooking' him from our clothes, bedding or settee as he gets all purry and pads us both!! Bless him!!

:thanks:  :thanks: :thanks: in advance for any advise!!
 :hug:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 18:41:18 PM by funkiechicken, Reason: Title Edited »

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Link to CatChat