Author Topic: Best age for spaying.....  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
Re: Best age for spaying.....
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 22:07:47 PM »
Sorry yes Jas is Jasmine so is female :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 22:01:25 PM »
On the assumption that Jas is Jasmine, we are talking of two girls?  In which case no special rush?  If you were talking of an un neutered boy and unspayed girl with girl showing signs of ahem :-[ :-[  "calling"  ;) , maybe sooner the better. 

I would have liked to go the glueing route with Millie and Ruby but my vets didn't seem that keen.  Not sure why, I didn't push it  :-: 

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 21:43:22 PM »
Like Liz I prefer to neuter at 6 months, I cannot see any reason for a domestic kitten with a responsible owner to do it earlier. Intradermal sutures with glue is the best way to go as others have said; this means no external bits for kitty to chew on causing damage to herself and so no need for buster collars.

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 20:31:06 PM »
The glueing sounds good and much better than having to have a buster collar so I'll definatley investigate that :) If they have the glue does that mean there's no stitches at all on the outside?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 15:37:29 PM »
Definately go for 4 months and try and get gluing cos saves them needing to wear a collar  ;D

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 15:31:41 PM »
We usually wait till 6 months but thats personal choice and to save seperating them get them to glue the wound with internal stitches then no need for the dreaded head trumpet

The glue option for the wound usually costs about £5.00 extra but is so worth it and all our girls have been glued after speying including domestic. feral and my Bengal
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
Best age for spaying.....
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 14:28:55 PM »
Meg kitten is around the 15 week mark now (roughly as we don't know her exact age).

We had to take her to the vets in town that the Cats Protection branch use for her second vaccination rather than taking her to our usual vets where Jasmine is registered. They will spay there from 4 months of age (rather than 6 months at our vets) and I thought it might be quite a good idea to get it over and one with. I just wondered what people think about neutering this early?

Also as Meg and Jas are just starting to get along I don't want to put things back at the moment by having to seperate them again while Meg's stitches recover as they rough and tumble like total loons and I'd have visions of the stitches coming out!!

Link to CatChat