Author Topic: swiping and biting - in fun (but not for us)  (Read 2435 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: swiping and biting - in fun (but not for us)
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 15:18:19 PM »
Try the Bitter Apple spray by Grannicks on your exposed skin. It's foul tasting so he'll only need to catch a taste of it off your toes and fingers once or twice to put him off.

At £8 it's worth a try. Amazon have it (among many others).

I think he's a candidate for Mosi's Norty Club  ;D

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37335.0.html

Offline frankiesmum

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Frankie
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 17:33:30 PM »
 :)if anyone is interested Frankie is starring in sunny harbour december newsletter along with many of the other lucky souls that made it to their foreverhomes this year. Its amazing to see how much he has changed!! (Mum is super proud of frankies beautiful glossy coat, he came all rough and hard).

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 16:54:49 PM »
Oh leave him one box  ;D

Lupin loves boxes and also scratches them to pieces.

We all love felines here and also love to help  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline frankiesmum

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 15:59:46 PM »
Hi all  ;D

I'm a bit over whelmed with all the responces thank you!  I would love to build him a catio but its a 2nd floor flat at the moment but as soon as frankies dad and I get pennies we would like to give him access to the great outdoors.  Dont let frankies dad hear you suggest a second cat.  We would love to have another addition to the puss cut family but when we got him sarah (@sunny harbour) suggested not.   We broached the idea with them a few months ago and they didn't think it was a great idea, but yes it is something that we have thought about and would be open to having another furbaby.  I'd like to give him our undevided attention for a liitle while longer. 

I'd love to keep everyone up to date with his progress, and thank you for your kind words,  its given me ,lots to think about and try with the little fur boy. 

Given this is the 1st stable home hes had I'm happy we are makin good progress - as for overstimulation, thats a good suggestion that I didn't think about, I was more caught up with making sure he wasn't boderd/lonely and wanted to give him as much as any little feline could ask for.  The boxes are heading for the bin and a new rotation of fewer toys I think.

Thanks again guys,  I was wavering a bit and we are first time pawrents and any advice is much appreciated.

Frankies mum  x

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 14:42:02 PM »
I take it that he is an indoor cat      I am fortunate to live where my cat can go in and out at will  Even my poor old blind Marmalade was allowed out in a fenced in area and supervised.   Could you build him a catio?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 08:54:20 AM »
Have you thought of getting Frankie a pal?   :sneakin:  :)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 00:47:00 AM »
Hi - Just reading your reply about Frankie and on the opposite end of the scale, do you think he might be over stimulated and perhaps in a constant state of "lets play"??  :evillaugh:

He clearly just see's it a fun, bless him  :Luv2: i hope you find the right answers! he's still only a young kitten-cat and if anything he may well grow out of it? but then again.....  :shify: lol

Keep us informed of any progress!!  ;D

:hug:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 11:14:17 AM »
My cat used to do the attacking legs. Especially if you had bare legs and were making your way half asleep to the loo in the night. I did find it pretty funny when she attacked my husband. I really don't know why she did it. She had plenty of toys and stimulation. She did it all her life. I think we just got more aware of the situation and made sure we were ready for the attacks. We got another cat to keep her company and they hated each other, so that did give her someone else to attack.  :rofl:

We just thought of it a bit like collie dogs trying to round everyone up. It's a instinct that some cats have and I suppose it's stronger in some than others.

Although it did make me keen to get two cats this time so they can happily attack each other and it's worked out really well.                               

Offline frankiesmum

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 08:19:56 AM »
Hi all

And thanks for all the replys firstly.  I emailed Sarah twice but she seems to be very busy and they have closed shop (rightfully till after the new year).  I had a feeling he may be bored but we have every one of the suggestions.  He has a cat tree in the middle of the house so he can see everything, as well as access to the top of wy wardrobe.  We have 1 Da bird session every day - he' s a bit obessional about it and i'd like him to play with other things, so its once a day.  3 alternative feeders, the one with levels and and 2 different balls.  Also he likes to play 'fetch' with springs and someone is usually throwing a spring for him to go hairing after.  He currently has 2 new boxes to hide in and play in. 

We really are doing everything with the play and entertainment for him, but maybe he just needs more entertainment?  I'll continue with no reactions to the biting so its not fun any more and the laser pen.  Which again we have but wasn't much interested but maybe it would be good when hes in attack mode.

Thanks for all the suggestions people.  I dont believe hes being 'bad' just playing, but I want to give this little lad the best life I can.  Part of me thinks that maybe we will have to put up with the occaional stalk - he is a cat after all.

Hope santa is good to you and your fur babies.

Frankie and mum

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 01:47:38 AM »
...I have used a water pistol on some of my ferals with success, not the large gun type but just a normal one.....

Sorry Liz - but this did make me laugh  :rofl: I had images of the Clan getting revenge on you & your normal water pistol, by jumping out with Big "Pump Action" Water Blasters :rofl:  :rofl:  :evillaugh:

i have an odd imagination i know hahaha

x
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 01:35:58 AM »
A great toy is the ball that you fill with treats so the more he plays the more treats he gets - to make him work for his supper (about £3)

My Nuggie used to do a similar thing (and I had him from being tiny baby!) I discovered that it was because everyone used hands to play with him. So rather than me being able to stroke him, he immediately attacked my hand as it was a source of play/anger vent, rather than up & coming affection. So I stopped everyone using hands/feet/general selves and to use toys only lol
He soon changed his train of thought on what a hand was for and what a toy was for, although only on a very rare occasion, he still goes for it lol  :evillaugh: :shify:
I think it will also help with ornaments too. Maybe getting a Cat Tree so he can sit up high and watch his territory go by....he could be clearing a high place to sit??
Its just a theory but definitely try the treat ball! Frankie will love it!!  ;D

Good luck! x  :hug:  :hug:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:58:44 AM by funkiechicken, Reason: mistake :/ »

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 00:30:43 AM »
Have you sent a message to Sarah at Sunny Harbour about your boy

I have one of Sarah's babies here at the Clan cats Miss Gigi Skye or Grumpy Guts as she is known and she is a madam to say the least but she adores me and tolerates my husband but will shred him if he looks at her the wrong way

I have used a water pistol on some of my ferals with success, not the large gun type but just a normal one and it dose work also a distraction toy long handled feather wands are good especially the long handled ones form the purrs shop

A laser pen toy is also a wonderful distraction again from the Purrs shop as it runs for 20 mins no hands required mine all love the little red dot
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 00:14:43 AM »
Have you rthought that he might be bored?     Have you tried interactive play?   It does sound to me that this is play behavior since he doesn't actually hurt you.  A DaBird toy should keep him occupied and work off some of his energy  Even rolling a ball about might .help 
Buy him some toys for Chritmas and see how you go  He is just doing what young cats do  Enjoy having fun with him
Peggy

Offline frankiesmum

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 20:08:58 PM »
Not 100% sure how old he is.  We got him in Feb and sunny harbour put him at about 18 months then but my vet didn't think that the (not so) little lad was that old so under 3 is all im sure of.  We have been trying the ignoring behaviour with the biting and the throwing of crockery, but today I was doing a fitness video in the house when my foot got a full attack.  Difficult not to react but I think we should perservere with that strategy for a bit longer.

Thanks
Frankies mum

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 19:55:03 PM »
HOw old is frankie? the crockery thing can just be a phase, all mine have grown out of it (thankfully!!) i sympathise with you on the ill-matched crockery!

Vicky halls (behaviourist) has advised the wearing of stout clothes in some of her case studies to combat this sort of behaviour, they were more extreme examples but it might be worth a try. the theory is that if you dont react (dont even feel it/notice it) the game loses all its fun and the cat finds other entertainment

Offline frankiesmum

• Kitten
swiping and biting - in fun (but not for us)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 18:32:45 PM »
Hi all

I am looking for a little heads up for our rescuse cat.  He has been with us 10 months and all is well except the odd behaviour that I would like to rectify (I know 1 problems not bad for 10 months).  Frankie chases our feet and hands, especially 1st thing in the morning.  You only have to walk through our hall to get a little nip or swipe.  It rarely breaks the skin and I believe that he thinks its great fun.  The resuce centre advised us a stort loud NO consistantly was enought to show that it was unwanted behaiour but after 7 months its not enough to get him to rectify the behaviour.  I have tried ignoring him incase its a learned behaiour from wherever he came from for attention and if he didn't get what he wanted then it would stop but no luck.

Anyone else had experiance of this kind of thing.....?  he also pushes things off of surfaces - I dont have any crockery that matches any more???  I really dont get it - any ideas about that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Frankie and his mum

Link to CatChat