Author Topic: She's got fussy again....:/  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: She's got fussy again....:/
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 17:41:07 PM »
Good luck  :innocent:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 16:29:03 PM »
Well we seem to be doing ok so far - fingers crossed!

I've left her bowls stacked (shes got those little Mason Cash ones) and she actually ate a decent amount yesterday - one whole pouch, plus a bit more! Phew...

Although funnily enough the chicken is still not going down well. I'm actually wondering now if it might be a toothy peg problem? She had a half hearted attempt with some yesterday but she wasnt really chewing the larger pieces normally, and bits sort of fell out of her mouth? Not normal for her as shes generally a chicken hoover!

The vet mentioned a good while ago that her teeth werent great, but because of everything else we were dealing with, they said it wasnt advisable to do a dental. In the last few months (well since about August) shes not had any biscuit - it makes her sick - and she did have a period of taking noroclav in September, which may have fended off tooth problems for a while.

Since then though I'm wondering if the tooth problem has got worse?

I might try and have a look later (ha ha - I'll be missing a few fingers tomorrow LOL!) although I'm not too what it will achieve if they still advise against aneasthetic :/

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 15:42:34 PM »
I found a six pack of cokes or similiar was just the right height for my Kocka and you are not being silly at all and. its a common problem with cats as they get older.

I tried it with Ducha and he will eat when I am holding the bowl up to him but not off a raised level...........sigh

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 14:42:56 PM »
Hi Liz, thanks for the advice :)

I do think I am going to have to keep her bowls raised, I actually stacked 2 on top of each other this morning and that seemed to help. I do worry (too much according to other half) about her bowing her head down though, but maybe its just an age thing?

I did try the microwave trick over the weekend and it was a no go. If anything she ran away from the bowl even quicker LOL! High maintenance madam...!  :tired:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 12:04:32 PM »
New improved taste grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I so hate it when they do that and this one was fine  before.

I have about 3 boxes of it for Lupin if his tummy goes down, just makes me so mad.

Try complaining to Hills, not that it has done any good on some other of their special foods where the ingrediants were totally changed.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 11:34:58 AM »
If she eats from the bowl being raised then perhaps thats what to do a thick book worked for our late Miss Gracie and I have food on a book currently for Smudger as he is having issues with a head tilt and walking but the raised bowl makes it easier for them

Have you tried warming the food for 10 secs in the microwave seems to make it smell better another tried and tested trick here with the oldies and my Hyper T boy Max
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 10:16:41 AM »
Thanks for the tip Gill, I'll try and nip in and get her some and see how we get on.

We finally managed to get her to eat about half a pouch of RC Sensitive (the non-vet one) last night, by basically sitting next to her on the floor for half an hour, and raising her food bowl up a bit. And she ate a little this morning - a few chunks of meat, and licking most of the gel stuff off, but better than nothing....

Shes such a fussy eater, shes been eating Hills GI food fine for months, however I noticed on the last box we got, it was marked as 'new improved taste' - grrrr! I hate it when they mess with the foods, she wont go near it at all now - new and improved my a&*e.......!  :shocked:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:30:06 AM »
Sorry she is not eating again and its important that she does  :hug: :hug:

Gonna sound daft but Lupin who also has a sensitive tum , especially to fish foods and the real thing, Felix and whiskers, is eating Tesco pouches in jelly and his tum can cope with that!!

Dont know if that is worth a try?

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
She's got fussy again....:/
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 22:37:26 PM »
Hi All

Been a while since I've posted, but things with Schmoo had been going well. She's been eating ok - we'd finally got her eating Gastrointestinal food pouches, and was actually putting on weight. She's been back on Vidalta so her thyroid came back under control, and she's been on destolit and Hepatosyl daily for months now.

But this last few days we've gone back in time, and now she's not eating much at all again, all GI or sensitive tum foods are refused, and she's even barely touching poached chicken.

I don't know what to do - im getting myself all paranoid again, I keep thinking that her posture in general has also changed, she's sleeping with her head more bowed down than normal and very occasionally giving a small shiver. Of course my mind is running away with me on that one.

Should I try any food regardless of the sensitive tum thing do you think?

Thanks!
Helen

Ps brief summary she's hyperthyroid with an unknown liver problem.

Link to CatChat